Old 07-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #29
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I wouldn't worry too much about fires up here. You're far from the fires near Santa Fe and Los Alamos, and the rains over the last couple of days up here have lowered our chances considerably.

I'm not sure about mechanics in Taos, unfortunately. Did you talk to the folks at the Chevy place? I've heard that they aren't bad, but that's been some years ago. I do know of a good mechanic here in Angel Fire, and he does work on RVs (drive train only).

Please PM me if you need his number, or just use the internet to look him up: Angel Fire Performance and Auto; the fellow's name is Alan. Tell him that Lynn and Maria suggested him.

Lynn

Old 07-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Lets start with this Oil level issue!
How far is the dipstick not going in?
If its like 18 to 24 inches, then its fouling on the joint between the head and outer tube. Pull the doghouse off and see if the outer pipe has pulled up.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #31
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Attempt at starting results in clicking noise?

1. May indicate that batteries are too low to allow starter to function correctly.

2. Caution stay clear of any possible rotating engine parts during this attempt: Hit the starter with the end of a broom handle or something while trying to start it. Don't be shy, it ain't running anyway, hit it! IF (notice big IF) starter brushes are worn and sticking, may pop them into working if only temporarily.

3. Somone commented about a bad spot on the ring gear, starter drive goes out hits worn spot, nothing to connect to, possible grinding sound. Rotate engine by hand 10 degrees or more to present useable ring gear teeth to starter drive.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sacramento , California
Local advice vs. loco advice

A simi-local! Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately while there have been clouds for the past three days in the afternoon, no rain. The weather is SO local in this area. The national forest is still closed. I have to go into town daily and for three days the air has been almost unbreathable. I had no idea smoke could travel so far.

Anyway, I will try your mechanic. I don't think there is still a Chevy place in Taos. Could be wrong.

I haven't had good luck with the mechanics Good Sam has sent. As I said, I'm no mechanic, but I did pull out my unused ratchet set and figure out the size of the nut and tighten things (not knowing if I was going to fry myself or not LOL).

So back to more diagnosing!

PS... I can do computers, so anyone feel free to ask advice on that subject. Just don't want y'all to think I'm dumber than dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about fires up here. You're far from the fires near Santa Fe and Los Alamos, and the rains over the last couple of days up here have lowered our chances considerably.

I'm not sure about mechanics in Taos, unfortunately. Did you talk to the folks at the Chevy place? I've heard that they aren't bad, but that's been some years ago. I do know of a good mechanic here in Angel Fire, and he does work on RVs (drive train only).

Please PM me if you need his number, or just use the internet to look him up: Angel Fire Performance and Auto; the fellow's name is Alan. Tell him that Lynn and Maria suggested him.

Lynn
Old 07-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
BATTERYS, jim
Old 07-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdream2 View Post
I had no idea smoke could travel so far.

Just don't want y'all to think I'm dumber than dirt!
It's okay to be dumb, someone has to hold down that side of the bell curve.

Smoke can travel hundreds of miles and you can smell it as well as see it.

Lynn owns Monte Verde RV park in Angel Fire and after you get this straightened out, you might see if you can stay there to decompress from this situation. Maria and Lynn are friendly, helpful and keep a very nice campground. I have received no remuneration or other considerations for this shameless plug.

Gene
Old 07-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #35
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdream2 View Post
Anyway, I will try your mechanic. I don't think there is still a Chevy place in Taos. Could be wrong.
The GM place in Taos is called Friday Motors:
Friday Motors in Taos, New Mexico - Chevrolet dealer serving Ranchos De Taos, New Mexico

Lynn
Old 07-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
yes, the battery

For me, click-click-click has always meant not enough electricity getting to the starter. If the battery is good and is charged, there is probably a bad connection between it and the starter. I tend to buy a new battery when in doubt.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #37
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
POI....make sure you don't have 14qts of oil in it.

If you finally get it to turn over. DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE OVERFULL!!!

Work on that dipping stick,

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #38
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Silverdream2, I asked a friend of ours who has a 345 about his batteries. Here's what he wrote:
Quote:
OUR 345 (I can't speak for every one, but I assume they are going to be similar) has three batteries. One is the starter battery, the other two are coach batteries. In theory, dead house batteries shouldn't affect the starter battery. But, that's assuming that the automatic isolator switch works (ours only works while I'm testing it ... trusting it where we don't have something to jump it with guarantees that it won't work.) You can link all of the batteries in for more juice with a button in the glove box - it that works. Also, the lights draw off the house batteries, but the radio runs off the engine battery.
Might give you some leads to work on anyway.

Lynn
Old 07-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I've never been able to use that secret switch in the glove box that connects all the batteries. Instead i keep a set of jumper cables with me. You'll get a lot of power using the cabbles to connect the house battery to the engine battery. It saved me a couple of times. I wish you well in your search for the answer.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #40
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
I'm pretty intrigued to hear how this turned out. (Was going to try for a quickie trip to Taos today, an excuse to look around the canyon to see if I could spot a stranded 345, but no dice.)

Lynn
Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sacramento , California
I think I mentioned there is no cell service here so I went to town and called Friday Motors. The mechanic there can't travel. He gave me a name of one who could, spoke to him and he said he'd come out after lunch. No one showed. Try again today. I agree the oil issue now has to be dealt with first.

When I was reading the report from the mechanic before I bought it I saw "worn battery cables". In truth they don't look too bad to me, but I'm wondering now. It took three tries after winter storage to get it going... hmmm.

I'll definitely post when I have some real info.... meanwhile thank you for warning me about the oil and all the suggestions.

BTW, one thing that DOES work on this rig is that switch in the glove compartment; got it going once when the engine battery wasn't enough.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #42
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
If U had a large socket and socket wrench U could try to turn the engine by hand from the front of the engine at the crankshaft. It should turn if not stuck/seized.

If U only have a standard set of sockets, then take the torque converter cover off (between engine and transmission) put a pair of gloves on, and try to roll the torque converter/flex plate, similar to a flywheel, U will see the starter ring gear teeth here.

it is possible to jump start directly to the starter motor with a loose battery and a pair of starter cables. Connect ground - terminal to solid part of engine. connect + to starter motor where U see the big thick cables connect, use a screw driver to short from the big cable terminal to the little wire terminal on starter, sparks will fly if U touch any other part of engine, this will engage the starter and roll the engine, if U want it to run leave the dash ignition in the run position or U will get no spark to the spark plugs, this is not exactly safe to do, maybe best left for the experienced

also, the starter solenoid, located on the starter, easily fails due to age and heat. the solenoid is what U connected to in the above instructions, has the big cables connected

Tags
batteries, new engine, oil dipstick