Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Heater core leak

There is a large puddle of green antifreeze in the passenger side front seat floor and i checked to see if the hoses were leaking but they are not. So I believe it's the heater core. Someone told me that as a temporary fix, I can route the hoses in a U turn and bypass the core until I can repair it. That won't hurt anything, right? Also, where do I get these things fixed?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Do radiator shops recore these? Probably just as cheap to replace it!, Yup you can bypass it!
Thanks for the tour of your rig last spring!! I'm still working on my 77!!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
If you bypass the core you won't have any heater or defroster. It won't give any trouble or hurt anything. Just remeber to fix before the cold season gets to your neck of the woods.
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The heater core is not going to be that easy to find by application. You will probably have to remove it, and take it with you to the auto parts store.
And yes, it can be bypassed. In fact there is even a kit to perform this now. You will need to know if both heater hoses are the same diameter or not, and the auto parts store will be able to furnish you with a double-ended fitting and two hose clamps. Pull off the hoses from the core, and put one hose on each end of the fitting, install the clamps, tighten them, and check for leaks after topping off the coolant.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Make double sure it is the heater core. Is there anyfog on you windsheild when you turn on the defrost. If it is bad you will get antifreeze smell or a fog and film on the wind sheild. Keep in mind if a hose nearby is leaking it may spray a stream to another location. Sometimes clamps fail and it will seep along the pipe or fitting to the lowest point. These new systems run under low pressure at an idle or when off. The best way to tell is by sqeezing a nearby hose make sure it isnt hot. Good luck
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Any good radiator shop can repair your core. It's just a small radiator. It is also easy to get to. Take the square cover off the heater/AC box in front of the pasenger seat area. The heater core will slide out towards you after removing the hoses.
I had to have mine done last year.
Rob
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
You guys, thanks for all this info! For some reason I wasn't emailed automatically about your posts. I'll fix that in user cp. I will tackle that today. Re routing the hoses until I get to a radiator shop. This is old school in a 1981 coach (1979 chassis and engine parts). Hopefully will be a piece of cake and easy as pie.