Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Headliner Ideas

The headliner in my Classic 360 was in pretty decent condition when I bought it 2 years ago. Last summer I parked it in front of the house for an escape vehicle during the 100+ weather and fires that were threatening an evacuation. The blazing hot sun and temps were more than the old foam backed headliner could take. It suffered the dreaded delamination. I did a temporary fix with the riveted on capped buttons. I'm not crazy about the look. I've considered all the options including installing a new liner which is an expensive pita.

I'm kicking around the following idea. More insulation would be a good thing. I'm considering installing a new liner over the old with about an inch of insulating foam laminated to new headliner material. I'll fasten it in place with riveted, capped buttons with a true button tuck look.

Any suggestions or comments. I think the buttons look pretty crappy on the old 1/4 foam but might look good on a thicker liner. I've got a good industrial walking foot Pfaff sewing machine and am quite the craftsman but lack artistic vision. Looking for ideas!

Thanks, Dave...
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Coosada , Alabama
Dave:
My headliner had been a problem ever since I got the unit in '09, mostly in the bedroom.
What I have done is have a guy from the paint shop on the airport where I have the '36 parked, to come over and spray adhesive that he uses for aircraft headliners. First though I scraped and vacuumed all the old foam off the headliner material. It doesn't look perfect, but I didn't have to remove the whole headliner just the part that had come loose.
The rest of the motorhome ceiling has enough fittings, vents and ac units that prevent the headliner to drop down noticeably.
This may not be the best way to go, but it does look ok and it is not coming down in the near future. This problem is common judging from the comments at the factory when we stopped there 2 years ago. I wonder if the trailers had the same problem?
My 2 cents worth,
Dave R.
davehramsey is offline   Reply With Quote