Old 05-25-2006, 06:27 AM   #15
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Kevin,
Do you have the wiring diagram for the fuse block? It should be in your manual. It's one of the things that was surprisingly accurate on mine.

If you need it let me know and I'll fax it.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:49 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Ok, I found a fuse that was blown. 20amp - I think it was labeled stop lights, but my stop lights worked before, and they still do. I replaced the fuse, but still no lights.

I have been poking around with my multimeter trying to get a better grip on this, and both the connectors for the Low beams have continuity (grounded) with the frame when they're on "low". But they work when they're on "high". What?

I took apart the fuse box last night looking for something wrong, but nada.
I really thought the dimmer switch was the culprit.

When we lost the lights there was an electrical storm a few miles off. I wonder if we got hit by lightning?

Is there a chassis manual (chilton/haynes) that has detailed wiring diagrams?

-Kevin

Old 05-25-2006, 12:14 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Sometimes a test light is your best friend. Grab your test light, and see if you have power at the dimmer switch like you should. (the light will light) Then follow the low-beam wire out to the headlights, checking for power at each connection. You will find the problem this way, if the bulb has power, and ground, it will light.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Yea, that's what I need to do. I'm using my multimeter that way. I just loose it when it goes behind the fuse block and into the headlight harness under the hood. (what do you call the hood on a class A?) it's more of an access hatch on the front.

Steven has again stepped up and faxed me the wiring diagram for his coach. I've attached it for anyone else to use as well. The only thing that irks me about it is that my $75 AS Service manual that I just bought doesn't have any of this kind of stuff in it. Maybe they forgot to copy a section for me.

I'm still expecting to find a burnt wire, a hidden fuse, or a loose connector.
thanks for all your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Sometimes a test light is your best friend. Grab your test light, and see if you have power at the dimmer switch like you should. (the light will light) Then follow the low-beam wire out to the headlights, checking for power at each connection. You will find the problem this way, if the bulb has power, and ground, it will light.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dash wiring diagram.pdf (181.8 KB, 133 views)
Old 05-26-2006, 02:23 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Someone take my tools away, Please.

One time when I was 15 I took apart a whole lawnmower to finally figure out that it was just out of gas.

Tonight I decided I wasn't going to bed until I had lights. I dove into that thing. I found my sharp pointy testing light, and I took apart the whole fuse block; I traced that wire all the way to the light fixtures.

I looked at the fixture trying to figure out why the low beam lead (wire) was going into the bright lamps...

D'oh!!!

That's when the light went on in my head, and soon thereafter, the lights were lit on the coach.
This is so simple, someone should take my tools away; the low beams are on the top, I'm such a dumbass.
Turns out I blew 3 filaments at the same time; the two smaller filaments in the top lamps, and one of the lamps on the bottom. I think thatís what threw me off. I'm going to blame the lightning for taking out the lamps, and hitting me so slightly that I didn't feel it, but it zapped part of my brain.

I can't say it was a total waste of time. Just like when I was 15, I learned a lot about what I was working on, and I was able to clean a lot of mess up along the way. I even got the fog lamps to work, and there's some extra back-up lights the work too.

-Kevin
Old 05-26-2006, 06:12 AM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Kevin, I usually don't say "I told you so", but please seee post #2 in this thread.
Seriously, I'm glad we could help. And I won't tell you the number of times I, an alleged "professional", have done things like that...
Old 05-26-2006, 01:46 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Sounds like you have a bad dimmer switch, unless you blew both low beam headlights.
Yup, you can say it.

K.I.S.S (keep it simple for stupid)

I've read so many of your posts, and they're always straight forward and simple.

I think I just yearn for the hyper complex sweat it out battle; simple is just too easy.

-K
Old 05-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
exterior power plugs

Our outside power outlets, under the kitchen window, curb side. worked great our last trip and now have no juice. I looked at the wiring diagram but did not see any fuse for it? Anyone have any ideas? All the outlets in the MoHo work fine. Thanks

str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote