Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, there is an old saying. "If the factory didn't do it when they designed, tested, and assembled it, you needn't do it either." My vote for anti-seize on lug nuts, is no.

Agree.....
IMPORTANT!
Service technical publication

"Proper installation requires that the wheel lug torque be set to the recommended specification for your vehicle. Sometimes these torque specifications can be found in your vehicle's owner's manual, however more often than not you will need to refer to your vehicle's shop manual or obtain them from your vehicle dealer/service provider.

Unless specifically stated otherwise, wheel lug torque specifications are for clean and dry threads (no lubricant) that are free of dirt, grit, etc. Applying oil, grease or anti-seize lubricants to the threads will result in inaccurate torque values that over tighten the wheels.

A thread chaser or tap should be used to remove any burrs or obstructions of the threads allowing the lug hardware to be turned by hand until it meets the wheel's lug seat. Once lugs are snugged down, finish tightening them with an accurate torque wrench. Use the appropriate crisscross sequence (shown below) for the number of wheel lugs on your vehicle until all have reached their proper torque value. Be careful because if you over torque a wheel, you can strip a lug nut or hub, stretch or break a stud or bolt, and cause the wheel, brake rotor and/or brake drum to distort."
Old 03-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Agree.....
IMPORTANT!
Service technical publication

"...

A thread chaser or tap should be used to remove any burrs or obstructions of the threads allowing the lug hardware to be turned by hand until it meets the wheel's lug seat. ...."
Has anyone ever seen a tire shop do this? I sure haven't.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99 View Post
Has anyone ever seen a tire shop do this? I sure haven't.
Granted not too often, but when I was 'bust'n knuckles,(dealership) if I couldn't turn the wheel nut by hand it was time to clean/chase the threads.
When I asked an old-timer years ago why it was so important to use a torque wrench on free turning wheel nuts he explained that you should think of the threads as springs. Proper torque stretches the spring to keep things tight, over tightening with lubricant can stretch the spring to the breaking point.

Something even I could understand...back in the '60's
Old 03-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #24
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Cool Hard Nuts Solution

I have never seen any tire shop with a set of thread chasers or taps either one. Back in the day and still now I have a full set of the stud chasers and taps in my toolbox. I specialized in front-end alignment and chassis type stuff during the time I was turning wrenches. These tools were indispensible as far as I was concerned because I would be called on nearly every week to repair the damage done to a stud or lug bolt by some untrained person at a tire shop. I had to replace some of the studs, but thread chasers saved some of my customers additional expense.
To use or not to use Anti-Seize on your lugs is a choice you can make for yourself. I have used it for over 30 years on my stuff without any problems, and the same was true for my 100s of customers who had work performed in my shop. If you ever have to change that tire at the side of the road, you will appreciate the anti-seize enabling you to use those Mickey Mouse tools furnished with the vehicle to remove that wheel with less hassle.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
I use an industrial brand that states it will not effect torque. The main problem is over torquing and over stressing bolts. Once a bolt has been over torqued it can weaken. Any lubricant left on the bolt can cause problems with torque and anti-seize working. The job of anti seize is to stop parts from rusting together, stop galvanic action of dissimilar metals and corrosion. I have fitters and millwrights apply it with greasy hands drop bolts in the dirt and give it that extra tug. The procedure we use is to clean threads completly and use a contact cleaner to remove any oils left.

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #26
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Hard Nuts Solution

Halleujah! Gives me encouragement that others have had good results too!
Old 03-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #27
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpro View Post
If you ever have to change that tire at the side of the road, you will appreciate the anti-seize enabling you to use those Mickey Mouse tools furnished with the vehicle to remove that wheel with less hassle.
It would be considered…foolish?...to travel without a full tool kit. As we have multiple campers, I keep mine under the truck rear seat so it is with me at all times. This includes a decent torque wrench, 4 way lug wrench, spare parts for my WD hitch, etc. It has been under my seat for many years and I cannot tell you how many times I have called upon it to fix something on the camper. Also have additional camper specific tools and parts in each camper. Must be something to do with all my years in Scouting…
Old 03-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, there is an old saying. "If the factory didn't do it when they designed, tested, and assembled it, you needn't do it either." My vote for anti-seize on lug nuts, is no.
Let's not forget that the engineer's are often overruled by the accountants.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #29
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Smile Hard Nuts Solution

Enough good tools make the solution easier. The refurb I'm currently involved in is being done with the tools I usually have on board the m/h. All my good stuff is in Denver. I did have enough tools (breaker bar, extension, 1" socket and cheater bar to make up 6ft) in my kit to break the lugs loose after much strain. If I had been at Denver, my CP Impact wrench would have done nicely. I have checked with 3 truck alignment shops and 2 Chevrolet truck dealerships here and all said that anti-seize will allow the proper torque and they have NO bulletins warning against the use of it on lug nuts/studs.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:57 AM   #30
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Thumbs up Hard Nuts Solution

Update: Worked on passenger side Lugs today. Same idiot with the air wrench must have installed lugs for FO. It took a breaker bar and a 9 foot cheater pipe to loosen the lugs. Two or three of the lugs would crack and pop as I loosened them. The good news: no stripped studs or nuts. They are now properly installed and torqued to specs. And yes, I used Anti-Seize on them. Since all the differing opinions, I am going to monitor the situation and update everyone on the results. Thanks for your feedback and comments on this!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Mixed opinions.

Hi, I see the opinions are strong on both sides of the fence for lubing or not lubing the lug nuts/studs. So I will stand my ground on the opinion of not lubing them, but on my side of the fence, we don't have rust problems here like you may have in other parts of this huge country. And maybe if I worked or lived in your side of the fence I might lube them too.

Many years ago when I was a new car dealer mechanic, I worked next to a guy from Canada; He said it was great to be working on cars where when you turned a bolt, it didn't break off, or have to be torched out, Like when he was working in a dealer in Canada.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #32
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Bob, I respect your position on the Anti-Seize and understand. I think all the peeps on this forum are going to defend a position. That's ok by me and you are still welcome at my campfire regardless of position.
Mike
Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
When I asked an old-timer years ago why it was so important to use a torque wrench on free turning wheel nuts he explained that you should think of the threads as springs. Proper torque stretches the spring to keep things tight, over tightening with lubricant can stretch the spring to the breaking point.

Something even I could understand...back in the '60's
Me too Bob..and we from the North Right Coast.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #34
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
The torque wrench will serve you well on lugs as far as I can see. Note on torque wrenches: be sure the wrench has been calibrated and is stored properly to maintain accuracy.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpro View Post
The torque wrench will serve you well on lugs as far as I can see. Note on torque wrenches: be sure the wrench has been calibrated and is stored properly to maintain accuracy.
Hi, and by storing your torque wrench properly, we mean turning down the adjustment to zero or the lowest number on the scale. [mine stops at 20 lbs.]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote