Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
H2 pure power

Anyone heard of this? It adds a hydrogen generator and is supposed to improve mpg. My husband won't let me take out the 345 because it gets only 6 mpg.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, how much does this unit cost and how many miles will you have to drive for the improved mileage to pay for it's self? Six miles per gallon isn't very good, but when you consider that you are moving 14,000 to 16,000 lbs down the highway, it's not that bad. If you can't use it, you should probably sell it or buy something smaller.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
I am so not willing to sell this. Cost is about $3500 plus 4 hours labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, how much does this unit cost and how many miles will you have to drive for the improved mileage to pay for it's self? Six miles per gallon isn't very good, but when you consider that you are moving 14,000 to 16,000 lbs down the highway, it's not that bad. If you can't use it, you should probably sell it or buy something smaller.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Looks like pure bunk to me! Even if it worked, those teeny tiny hoses couldn't flow enough hydrogen to power much of anything.

At least they didn't waste much money on a website (http://h2purepower.com/).

$3,500 would buy a lot of gas, even now.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Well, if it can increase the mileage on an '88 Malibu from 8 mpg to 36 mpg, like their testimonial says, then it must work really good.

I just wish these people would call me so I can invest all my life savings in this before the IPO.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
That is so true about the $3500! They say I would get up to about 10mpg instead of 6.

My mechanic says there are people who use propane and that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Looks like pure bunk to me! Even if it worked, those teeny tiny hoses couldn't flow enough hydrogen to power much of anything.

At least they didn't waste much money on a website (http://h2purepower.com/).

$3,500 would buy a lot of gas, even now.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
well, if it can increase the mileage on an '88 malibu from 8 mpg to 36 mpg, like their testimonial says, then it must work really good.

I just wish these people would call me so i can invest all my life savings in this before the ipo.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

boom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hindenburg.png
Views:	327
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	130200  
Old 05-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Forever Car
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
This is a testimonial that they sent me. Anyone know these Airstreamers?
__________________________________________________ ____________

Hello All RV Friends and Acquaintances,

As most of you know, Kathy and I had a "H2 Pure Power" Hydrogen system installed in our 2010 Chevrolet Duramax Turbo Diesel while we were staying at the Palm Creek RV Golf and RV Resort in Casa Grande this past March.

I thought many of you would be interested in our impression of the system thus far.

We pull a 25' Airstream behind our crew cab, long bed pick-up. The trailer weights approximately 6,200 lbs. loaded. We carry a BMW motorcycle and two bicycles in the bed of the truck as we travel. We've driven approximately 2,000 miles since the installation of the system, almost all of it on interstate highways. Of course, there are a lot of variables associated with driving down the highway, including wind velocity and direction, elevation changes, temperature, average speed, and the like. All that included, here are the results thus far.

Prior to the installation of the system, driving on the interstate highway system, our MPG average with the cruise control set at approximately 70 MPH, ranged between 10.8 and 11.9 MPG. Our trip back to Denver after the installation showed the following:

From Casa Grande to Benson, AZ: 12.5 MPG @ 65 MPH.
From Benson to Las Cruces, NM: 14.6 MPG @ 69 MPH.
From Las Cruces to Las Vegas, NM: 12.5 MPG @ 69 MPH.
From Las Vegas to Denver, CO: 13.6 MPG @69 MPH.

There was a stretch between Las Vegas and Raton, NM where our average got up to 15.5 MPG over about 130 miles.

According to the manufacturer, the computer system of each vehicle takes an indeterminate amount of time/miles to "adjust" to the hydrogen-hybrid system. I presume that our vehicle is in the midst of that adjustment period.

We won't be using the truck very much for several months while we await the arrival of our new, 30' Airstream. I'll send a follow-up report later this summer after our next "adventure."

Please let me know if you are not interested in receiving any further communication from me in this regard.

Thanks very much, and I hope you all have a pleasant summer.

All the best,

Don and Kathy Adis
574 Eagle Nest Ct.
Golden, CO 80401
Old 05-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Alliance , Ohio
Save your money. This is total BS. Getting more energy burning the hydrogen and oxygen produced by the cell than the energy you put in is just another version of the perpetual motion machine. The money would be better spent on tune-ups, keeping your tires properly inflated and maybe a low restriction exhaust system.
mehes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
I do want to check out the exhaust system and see about upgrading that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehes View Post
Save your money. This is total BS. Getting more energy burning the hydrogen and oxygen produced by the cell than the energy you put in is just another version of the perpetual motion machine. The money would be better spent on tune-ups, keeping your tires properly inflated and maybe a low restriction exhaust system.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
All bunk.Spend the $3500 on fuel enjoying yourselves.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehes View Post
Ah, you beat me to it. In my defense I've been busy with work today and haven't had much time for the forums.

Unless it has some sort of sci-fi zero-point energy generator or splits off the hydrogen by a VERY efficient photosynthesis process, there's simply no way that this will generate more energy than your engine did on its own. Your alternator has to supply the energy to split off the TINY amount of hydrogen from water that this could generate, which would consume way more energy than it added by introducing a little gaseous H2 into the combustion chamber.

Assuming the testimonial is from a real person, they may have been "hypermiling" unconsciously, driving in such a way that allowed their truck to use less fuel, or perhaps most of the $3500 goes to a really good tune-up that causes buyers to get more mileage for a while, in which case it could be $500 worth of tune-up and $3000 of snake-oil.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Snorting with laughter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Ah, you beat me to it. In my defense I've been busy with work today and haven't had much time for the forums.

Unless it has some sort of sci-fi zero-point energy generator or splits off the hydrogen by a VERY efficient photosynthesis process, there's simply no way that this will generate more energy than your engine did on its own. Your alternator has to supply the energy to split off the TINY amount of hydrogen from water that this could generate, which would consume way more energy than it added by introducing a little gaseous H2 into the combustion chamber.

Assuming the testimonial is from a real person, they may have been "hypermiling" unconsciously, driving in such a way that allowed their truck to use less fuel, or perhaps most of the $3500 goes to a really good tune-up that causes buyers to get more mileage for a while, in which case it could be $500 worth of tune-up and $3000 of snake-oil.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #16
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
it seems this guy adis sprung onto the forum 1/31/10 and there's nothing else showing about him .

re: hydrogen power system?

you might as well buy several hundred balloons, fill them all with hydrogen (or helium for that matter) and distribute them evenly along the inside of the roof of your AS. this way the upward force of the lighter than air gas will significantly reduce the weight of your vehicle thereby providing greatly inproved gas mileage.

CAUTION - 1. do not attempt while using any open flame or heat source.

2. it is not recommended that you do this and leave your vehicle in the Arizona sun.

3. do not over inflate. the AS may not remain where you left it.

4. not responsible for damage resulting from any helium assisted AS drifting over Roswell NM.

- of course you could just buy a few pounds of Flubber. simply send a SASE to........
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
ROFL! You are all so great. That's why I come to the forums with questions. I just talked to a muffler guy and for $400 he can install a new dual muffler and raise the mpg that way. He just wants to know if the 1987 345 has a catalytic converter. Does anyone know about this? I posted a new thread with the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
it seems this guy adis sprung onto the forum 1/31/10 and there's nothing else showing about him .

re: hydrogen power system?

you might as well buy several hundred balloons, fill them all with hydrogen (or helium for that matter) and distribute them evenly along the inside of the roof of your AS. this way the upward force of the lighter than air gas will significantly reduce the weight of your vehicle thereby providing greatly inproved gas mileage.

CAUTION - 1. do not attempt while using any open flame or heat source.

2. it is not recommended that you do this and leave your vehicle in the Arizona sun.

3. do not over inflate. the AS may not remain where you left it.

4. not responsible for damage resulting from any helium assisted AS drifting over Roswell NM.

- of course you could just buy a few pounds of Flubber. simply send a SASE to........
Old 05-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #18
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="YouTube - Flubber Car Over Washington.mov" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this might help - Flubber Video
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
scottsdale , Arizona
Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Alliance , Ohio
Here's a link to H2PP's Dr Mary Meadows. You will be impressed with her solid technical background, or at least amused.

Dr. Mary Meadows | H2 Pure Power Inc, | Automotive | Tempe | AZ
mehes is offline   Reply With Quote