Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Grosspolutors windsheilds install

Hey,
Well, me and GP had a date to do his glass on his 345. Took us about a hour to get both sides in. Hand lotion helped a lot in getting the rubber over the edge. I am impressed with the rubber quality. Like my windsheild rubber, his was in excellent shape. No splits on the corners, very supple too. His glass had the exact same senerios on the pass side as mine. The glass barely is in the gasket. He'll have to move the gasket down a little the get a good seal. Drivers side was. Perfect, as was mine. Weird eh? It's a two man job. Those little. Bicycle tire demounting spoon things I recommend are perfect for this job. Never use steel, as in screwdrivers. We had a little trouble toward the middle lower edge. Rich was on the inside, pushing the rubber edge out and I was pulling that same area, and pop, in it went. We put the locking rubber in went very smooth. That tool you can buy is probably a better tool. But a blunt nosed kitchen knife worked just fine. We definitely recommend getting the newer style locking rubber. It pushes the gasket down tighter on the glass. And I think it's more supple than the original type. And we left it long in the. Edges, so it can shrink a little. The locking rubber is like a rubber band. With hand lotion in the channel, it will retract to where the rubber becomes neutral. Then Rich will cut off the sticking out part and massage it into the channel. Does your glass have a big gap where the locking rubber has shrunk? That's why we both decided to go with new rubber. Hope all this info helps. Rich took a video of this. Don't know if it's good enough to post. He'll asserting that later. To all, this job is totally doable. On a scale on 1-10 I give it a 3-4 pretty easy job. Thanks rich, we had a good time. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Great stuff Dave!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
Champaign is not to far away. If you need new glass and want some help, give me a shout. We go to Alabama every year for thanksgiving and or Christmas. Your not to far off of 65 . We can take 57 if need be. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote