Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Pex and the gray stuff in the Airstream have the same ID. My Airstreams have a mix of 3/8 and 1/2 inch tubing. The crimp tool I bought at Lowes works on both sizes. The stainless steel crimp on clamps work. Screw on hose clamps do not work well. The sharkbite I used works well. But I got more faith in the metal fittings crimped on and they are cheaper and take less space. The suction side of the pump uses tubing and hose clamps. I replaced a bit of it with Pex also when I changed the pump.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The problem is that the PEX and the gray stuff (why can't you have gray PEX) is the outer diameters are different so you can't use the same grimper. I have a grimper that you use with a vise grip to grimp the PEX rings with. The same tool won't work on PB since the OD is smaller.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
This is what I am using...
PEX/Sharkbite piping for pressure supply... not shown is the Red Pipe I am using for Hot water supply.. White ABS is for water tank non pressure system.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair
This is what I am using...
PEX/Sharkbite piping for pressure supply... not shown is the Red Pipe I am using for Hot water supply.. White ABS is for water tank non pressure system.
Steve, where did you get your supplies? Lowes and Home Depot do not carry this in the bay area...must be against building codes here...earthquakes and nannys ya know!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Local Home Depot, but Lowes also had it.
Maybe order online?

I agree with Bill_M about the neatness and cost of this system... The push ones would be cool, and is awesome for stuff you might want to replace or remove, but the cost of each fittiing is like 5 times the cost of the barb and crimp fitting... I costed them!
Whilst the Crimp tool is a large expense, you soon save that. Mine was like $50.
Also, make sure you buy a hose cutting tool... looks like a shear, snd cuts the pipe clean and straight.
The only place I have the push fittings is on my Hot water heater, and that was because i had to fix a leak on the way back from KS, on the maiden voyage, and had no tools.

Biggest problem I have had with the PEX so far is I could not find the threaded fittings to attach to the existing stuff.
Like the Water hose reel... That has a 3/8" threaded 90deg fitting, and could not find it or even an adaptor to get to the threaded 1/2" PEX fittings, so I had to reuse the original... Its a very snug fit, and I dont think it is going to be a problem, but I figured if it breaks or leaks while I am hooked up using city pressure, its below the floor, and will just flow out of the drain holes in the utility compartment.
I will not be doing that above floor!
Also, whilst the PEX pipe fitted over that original PB barb, it was a very tight fit, and expands the OD of teh PEX pipe a bit.. as a result I could not get the PEX crimp ring on... I used a worm clamp.
I think you can see what I did in this pic... RH side of hose reel..

Old 11-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
But you can use the same crimping tool on the gray, the pex, and both 3/8 and 1/2 in tubing. $39 at Lowes. It uses the stainless steel crimp on clamps. The tool grips the ears of the clamp and crimps it. The tool does not go around the tubing. So it works on both sizes. The clamp has a good range of OD that it will close around. Only problem is that it takes about a 10 inch wide space to work the handles in. And some force.
Neither Lowes or Home Depot carrys a wonderful selection of Pex fittings. And they carry different ones so you have to check both stores. I was able to get the valves and faucet connectors I needed with a few trips. Might have had to use a straight fitting instead of a right angle one but got it all in and made a wh bypass and street connection onkay.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
For some reason, I like the other type clamp because I think it creates a more even clamping force all the way around the tubing. So a 1/2 pinch type collar works on 1/2" PEX and 1/2" PB?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Ok Bill, you are using the type with ears?
Did not spot that... will have to check into those!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Yup.
I started with the water hose reel, and now am in the underbed area...
Using 1/2" piping, and to be cool, Red for Hot water and Blue for cold.
I looked at a few different systems, and ended up using PEX.. the crimp tool was $50, but you save money after that because the fittings are cheaper.
Steve,
Where did you find your PEX tubing?
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
The red I got at ACE Hardware, and the Blue at Home Depot..
Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I see that Home Depot has now begun to use the term "Sharkbite" with both the push on fittings as well as the crimp ones. The PEX pipe they carry now is also called "Sharkbite" so we will need to start to call the push on type fittings something like "push on" as both kinds are now labeled "Sharkbite". You can see that in the photo posted a few posts back.

Just when you thought you had it all straight, eh? And I think Lowe's push on's are called something like "Tigerbite" to add to the confusion.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote