Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Graphics Ideas

My graphics are faded and peeling. When I refinished the hood, I matched the color and painted new stripes. It looks "OK" but not great. The original graphics are not available per AS. I'm looking at options including custom stick on decals and paint. I'm not all that interested maintaing in the original design or colors. I'm thinking multiple shades of blue. Something about the size of the original. Something between swishy gay and redneck flames! Anyone have any good ideas? Seen any really nice designs. Custom decal companies?
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Wetaskiwin , Alberta
To each his own
Chacun a son gout
De gustibus non es disputandum
===========================
Personally I like the burgundy graphics on my 345 LE, and also the blue version. I like the look of the original graphics on yours too, but you are you and I am me (this would be quite easy to prove, so I won't bother).

My only thought would be that you give some consideration to the distant future owner who might desire to return it to the factory graphics, and don't do anything so radical in terms of etching or other surface preparation that would make them curse and revile you, since this might disturb your enjoyment of Valhalla.
Penmaenmawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
You might contact Klattu on these here forums...he did some really great graphics to his 345...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penmaenmawr View Post

My only thought would be that you give some consideration to the distant future owner who might desire to return it to the factory graphics, and don't do anything so radical in terms of etching or other surface preparation that would make them curse and revile you, since this might disturb your enjoyment of Valhalla.
I'm not so sure that owning an Airstream is our ticket to Valhalla. That being said, should it turn out to be the ticket into Valhalla I'm sure having a pissed off FO is going to be the least of our worries. We'll run into some pretty excitable Vikings or Klingons.
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Wetaskiwin , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I'm not so sure that owning an Airstream is our ticket to Valhalla. That being said, should it turn out to be the ticket into Valhalla I'm sure having a pissed off FO is going to be the least of our worries. We'll run into some pretty excitable Vikings or Klingons.
I wouldn't worry about either Vikings or Klingons in Valhalla. This ain't your Father's Valhalla, ya know...... it's now covered by European Union regulations, and anyone who has burnt, raped or pillaged is OUT, which means the Vikings have all been moved to Minnesota, and as for the Klingons, they are now only found around some planet whose name I forget. Does anyone out there remember which planet the Klingons are found around?
Penmaenmawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
I need to restore the front Airstream badge on my 350LE. Although removing and repainting the cast alloy nameplate seems like something I could do, I'm not sure how to replicate the mat black outline that sits under the badge.
I'm sure a "pin-striping" expert could do the job but I'm not sure I could accurately trace and mask the outline I've attached a picture of the badge and m looking for ideas that an "amateur" could use to do a reasonable restoration!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream_badge.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	240150  
chriscraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:27 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1968 24' Tradewind
Salem , Oregon
Here's an idea:

That looks like a pretty common font and shape that it is sitting on. If you know someone with Microsoft Publisher, they could probably duplicate that for you and get it "camera ready". Once that is on a thumb drive or a cd, you could take it to a sign shop and have it stenciled on the matching color of vinyl. There is some vinyl that is weather resistant for 7 years or more.

If it didn't match in size, you could do it in a size at least to cover it. You wouldn't have the aluminum showing through the cut out but someone could pinstripe a silver color pinstripe around the rounded rectangle or the sign shop could do it.

-johnny
Old 06-07-2015, 04:53 AM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraw View Post
I need to restore the front Airstream badge on my 350LE. Although removing and repainting the cast alloy nameplate seems like something I could do, I'm not sure how to replicate the mat black outline that sits under the badge.
I'm sure a "pin-striping" expert could do the job but I'm not sure I could accurately trace and mask the outline I've attached a picture of the badge and m looking for ideas that an "amateur" could use to do a reasonable restoration!
Chris, things to consider:
Yes, the metal name plate is fun and easy to restore, the decal under it is a different story, since it is directly related to the clear coat. So, the first step would be to ask yourself, if you want to keep your failing clearcoat. If you do for now, you can only do partial restoration of the decal with pin striping that is readily available on ebay
If you decide to remove the clearcoat, the sky is the limit
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pinfromfront.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	240158   Click image for larger version

Name:	345-front.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	863.2 KB
ID:	240160  

Name:	pinstripe.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	240161  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
I need new stripes on my 94 as well. I think the best option is 3m vinyl that is designed for use on cars and RV's. You can buy it in custom rolls and configurations...even metallic colors. I thought about changing the color, but then you need to think about how it would look with your awning material, unless you change that to match. Anyone know how much new awning material costs?
SebasSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Try looking for a local sign graphics shop, especially one that does commercial vehicle graphics. You would be surprised how many of those trucks (and police cars) come from the factory sans graphics. I found one to do my stone guard pin-up girls (see my avatar), and some smaller stickers for rally's. He used a really high quality vinyl material and was affordable, at least in my opinion.

These shops are usually small mom and pop kind of businesses. I have a guy who loves to do neat off the wall stuff, especially Airstream stuff. He and his staff are really creative, and all I need to do is give them an idea, and in less than a week we have a finished product.
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Graphics Ideas

I've been researching that for a bit. Looks like the 3M products are the way to go. Their are different options. Some are designed to last longer than others and be more permanent. There's cleaners, adhesive removers, edge sealers, cutting tapes, custom printed...

I just trying to figure out what to use. Most of the distributors are reluctant to give out information or sell the supplies as they would rather you pay them the big bucks to do the job. I'm in the process of becoming a distributor.

Here's a whole series of instructional videos.

http://knifelesstechsystems.com/

Kota is offline   Reply With Quote