Off to the welding shop where C channel was pressed back into place, 1/4" gussets were installed, C channel was boxed in and the inside of the C channel was welded. Then back to my shop for sandblasting, a two part epoxy primer and a coat of Valspar rustproofing paint.
Pic 1 shows hitch with gusseted front beam and boxed C channel. The gussets clear my spare tire carrier by 1/2"
Pic 2 shows gusset and interior weld, so front beam weight is now transfer to the vertical part of the C channel as opposed to the flat part of the channel.
Pic 3 shows how far I took the boxing of the C channel as the first bolt is just behind that plate.
I did contemplate adding steel rods from the front beam back to the frame but was talked out of it by the welder who has done hitches all his life as being very much overkill for what I needed. It was his concern that in a rear end collision, the hitch would not be able to buckle and absorb the impact, transfering that energy to the frame and causing far more damage.
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.
“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"