Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
After serious consideration and sole searching, I ordered the Goodyears G670s from Big O.

$2500 installed was close enough to $1800 to $2000 quotes I was getting for Chinese. Big O is $500 less than the Camping World Sale.

I got a quote from one of the truck shops for $4200!

Old 07-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
When I was still working and put low miles on Bess, the Toyo tires were great.
Am still working and have Toyos. They seem to work fine for low milage users like myself, not sure how'd they fair for the real road warriors. Were around $210 a piece last year. Cannot find the invoice for exact amount.

All they did was mount the tires and balance them, I did all the wheel pulling etc in their courtyard trying to save a couple of bucks.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Installed!

Just finished up the installation. Total price from Bit O was $2600. That works out to about $434 a tire plus new valve stems and extenders. They got them in for me a little over a month or so ago but due to family issues I was just now able to install them. I wrote up a bit of the saga in "what have you bought..."

I was having second thoughts when I took 6 perfectly good looking 10 year old tires in to get changed out.

Took them in 2 at a time instead of having them do it. I gave me a chance to clean up the rims and inspect everything. I also changed the front hub lube with synthetic.

The manager at Big O said that there was a recent manufacturers price increase and I save a couple hundred bucks by ordering them when I did.

And for you patriots out there, I spent the extra bucks to buy American!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	china 022 (Large).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	166928   Click image for larger version

Name:	china 020 (Large).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	166929  

Old 08-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Sorry< but I went with Michelin, and they have done me quite well...yep, a few more bucks, but a guarantee I've never had to use in 5 years...a back tire blows, and it's mostly a cosmetic thing...a front tire blows, and you are driving 17 + K on a road not friendly to such happenstances...I'm more comfortable with a bit more expense, and a safer drive...just one man's opinion, but 50,000 + miles kinda speaks for itself...replacement is coming up soon, and tires kinda take priority over how other folks see my unit...shiny might be nice for some. but getting down the road is my objective...arriving is a goal, and the next place is the agenda...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
I was told that I wouldn't notice much change in road noise and ride on F rated truck tires. There is a definite difference and they are inflated to the same pressure (90 psi). I'm sure 10 year old tires dry out and get stiffer and less pliable as evidence by how hard they came off vs how the new ones went on. Much nicer ride as far and the road thumps go.

I agree with putting priority on mechanical condition over cosmetics.

I've now been through the rig end to end mechanically. All fluids have been changed, brakes inspected, new hoses and belts, air drier, filters, Banks Powerpack... It goes in for a diesel emissions test and wheel alignment next week.

I have a few more projects to complete before I start on the pretty stuff. A big one is straightening out the DC electrical installation and installing LED interior lighting.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #20
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Bess will get her new shoes on Saturday (Goodyears) and we'll hit the road down to Flagstaff. We run 105 lbs, prolly because we full time and the wifie needs more stuff than I do. It's a bittersweet trip this year because our uncle, who built and ran the KOA in Flag, where we've stayed for seventeen years, just died the other day.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Bess will get her new shoes on Saturday (Goodyears) and we'll hit the road down to Flagstaff. We run 105 lbs, prolly because we full time and the wifie needs more stuff than I do. It's a bittersweet trip this year because our uncle, who built and ran the KOA in Flag, where we've stayed for seventeen years, just died the other day.
Sorry to hear of your loss. Our summer and fall camping trips have been canceled by one family tragedy after another. We did get in a great 3000 mile month long trip in May that took us back east and around Lake Superior. Hope to have all my projects completed for next spring's adventure.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Monterey , California
Here is an interesting Tire option .....

I have mixed feeling about this video.
Airstream Monster Motorhome 16.00R20, 4x4, MAN KAT1 - YouTube
Who would not see the time and money put into restoration.
Looks like an 20' Rear Salon Excella.
Is there no UN sanctioned "safe house" for abused Classic Airstreams?