Old 08-12-2015, 10:04 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Hi Seabasf Glad you had a nice trip to Jasper I'm just west a little in Calgary The unit you bought in phoenix may be the same unit I saw when we vacationed around super bowl week I think I have a few pictures of unit inside and out I'll try and find them would you like them? It was in rural apachie junction I think this unit had the head removed it was sitting beside bed It was a grand old unit so glad you revived it Thanks Jonathan

Old 08-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
GLAMP '94 Classic Pusher

Just FYI... Came across this http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/side...or-112172.html awhile back while. Pretty good discussion on side vs rear radiators. Validates the issues I've experienced on the 94 and 95 and a couple others I'm aware like Vycan's.

Since I need a new intercooler and radiator, I'm going to design a system that stacks the intercooler above the radiator instead of stacking them. The fans will be in the rear and draw air through instead of pushing from a constricted area around the rear of the engine. Possibly use separately controlled sets of fans for the radiator and CAC. 2 and 2.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:41 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenry View Post
Hi Seabasf Glad you had a nice trip to Jasper I'm just west a little in Calgary The unit you bought in phoenix may be the same unit I saw when we vacationed around super bowl week I think I have a few pictures of unit inside and out I'll try and find them would you like them? It was in rural apachie junction I think this unit had the head removed it was sitting beside bed It was a grand old unit so glad you revived it Thanks Jonathan

Yup, that is the one! I almost walked when I saw it, but I'm loving it now after some work.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:46 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
Hey Kota, let me know about the fan, thanks. Mine is a bit chewed up but ok, but I worry about balance and wearing out bearings.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:59 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
Driving the 36 DP Spartan vs Chevy P30? Well, Spartan make military vehicles and fire trucks, and the P30 is really designed for step vans. Deciding between the two has been really hard, but the 36 wins on driving comfort, road fatigue, worrying about overheating on hills, and plain scared of steep grades in the p30's although these are not issues when you learn to drive them properly. Cruising at 70 with 6 gears to choose from is very nice, and the exhaust brake on hills rocks. No complaints about the ride with leaf springs at all. Put the 300LE on the Spartan chassis and you have the perfect Motorhome! There is a lot I will miss about the 300...
Old 08-13-2015, 12:12 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
Kota, did you see the AKG Midwest Spartan Motors Chassis MRAP Aluminum Industrial Radiator on eBay for $250 obo?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebasSF View Post
Kota, did you see the AKG Midwest Spartan Motors Chassis MRAP Aluminum Industrial Radiator on eBay for $250 obo?

That's the configuration commonly used these days. I've sent a request for details.

I was just in Austin on business Beginning of the week!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:38 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
GLAMP '94 Classic Pusher

Found the specs on my phone:
8.5" thick
36" wide
51.5" tall including 6" removable oil cooler / base mount

Regarding radiators on ebay.

Good source but a bit to big!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Hey Kota, let me know about the fan, thanks. Mine is a bit chewed up but ok, but I worry about balance and wearing out bearings.

That beast is mounted on a pretty huge spindle/bearing dedicated to the fan. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'll bet you could beat it into submission and balance it on a lawnmower blade balancer.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
No fan clutch right? I think the modern ones are plastic and probably have a fan clutch from looking at the Spartan chassis still on eBay.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Quote:
No fan clutch right? I think the modern ones are plastic and probably have a fan clutch from looking at the Spartan chassis still on eBay.

I've lowered my priority on enhancing the cooling system since cleaning the debris caught between the CAC and radiator on both mine. I do need to address the core erosion on the 95 at some point.

That big fan robs a bunch of power. It causes the engine to warm up slowly and over cools it at times while hitting the upper limits at others. Running a diesel below optimum causes a loss in efficiency and more emissions. A fan clutch would help if properly implemented.

With no ram air the fan has to run quite often but more importantly, the CAC needs the fan to run during boost. I've seen 300 degree air coming into the CAC. The CAC syncs that heat very effectively but requires a lot of air from the fan to remove it. The fan needs to run after CAC inlet temp drops for about 30 seconds. It requires a bit of a control system.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Quote:
No complaints about the ride with leaf springs at all.

The new Goodyears on my 95 and correct pressure made a world of difference. It had new Bilstein shocks on it when I bought it. Can't complain about the ride but can only compare it to a couple new $200k units I've driven. Got me looking into the air ride conversion which lead to adopting the unloved 94. Haven't had a chance to work on it since we've been out on the road in the 95 since the middle of May. I need to replace the airbags and shocks. There are also some issues with the leveling valves. In thinking about putting a HWH active air ride system on it someday. There is a lot more stuff on the air ride. Extra air tank, leveling valves... The spring system in very simple and clean.

I haven't had really had a chance to drive it much for a comparison but can definitely say it takes a lot of the China rattling bumps out of the roads. The springs handle the big bumps and body roll as well or better.

The 94 has 100k on it and the 95 a little less. The cabinetry in the 94 is vert tight and like new. No loose components and the drawer rollers/slides all operate like new. I'm replacing all of the slides on the 95. Lots of loose parts and flat spots on the rollers. I've been tightening up cabinets to chase rattles.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
What pressure are you running in your tires?

I'm sure I will end up doing new slide hardware as well...
Old 08-13-2015, 08:48 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Quote:
What pressure are you running in your tires?

I'm sure I will end up doing new slide hardware as well...

95 seems to work well. I ran them at 90 and didn't notice any difference so I went back up to 95.