Old 03-14-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
1993 36' Classic 36
Huger , South Carolina
Generator issues

I have 7000 watt onan marquee generator in our '93 36' classic. The generator runs but makes no power. Here's where it gets weird...in the bin where the genset is a 4x4 electrical box with a 20 amp male plug and circuit breaker in it and a 20 amp pigtail to go with it. It is my understanding that with the generator running I can plug these two together and have the rear ac work.?... With the genset running I have no 120 volt in the coach period...if I plug that plug into the box the rear ac will run for a minute or two and shutdown the generator. Again no power anywhere else!!!
Reading the manuals it tells me there is a transfer switch...somewhere... Does anyone have any idea where it might be? Or is this thing like Bigfoot? Maybe it's there maybe it maybe it isn't. Has anyone else had an issue
like this?

Thanks
Marty

Old 03-15-2015, 01:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Sounds like a two part issue. Shutdown on the onan marquis is based on self preservation. If doing under current, likely your carb and regulator. The other half could be the transfer switch, but that should be the box outside the generator. I would test the leads with an ac voltmeter while running to see if you are getting power. If so, it's the transfer switch, but that doesn't explain the shutdown under load.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:30 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
1993 36' Classic 36
Huger , South Carolina
Vycan,
Thanks for getting back to me.
The shore power cable goes directly through the floor via a very nasty looking hole in the floor about where its stored. Which is aft of the axles. The generator is in front of the axles (RS). I'm going to disassemble the bed today and look under it...along with pulling the generator. The only saving grace here is....is that a good friend of mine and his boss live and breath these things. So I'm able to go there and use their stuff to take it out including the forklift for nothing.
And I thought I was ready to camping....what was I thinking!

Marty
Old 03-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Just to confirm... your genset is propane or gas? The comment above regarding the regulator applies to the propane. If gas, I would look at the fuel filter. Also the inboard spark plug rarely ever gets changed.

There should be an automatic transfer box behind the generator. Were you lucky enough to get one of the models with the crank so you can lower and raise the genset to work on your own?
Old 03-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I assume you have 30 amp shore power and 50 amp generator.
You are correct on the AC set up. This is a modification to allow you to run 2 AC's when camping and not on generator power. The normal set up is to select front or rear AC through a switch but NOT both at the same time except on generator power.
I suspect you have 2 circuit breakers "on" the generator one is for normal 30 amp power and the second will be a 20 amp for the rear AC. The transfer switch only switches the 30 amp and would be located close to your circuit breaker panel.

Before pulling the generator you need to verify power "to" the generator circuit breakers at the generator. From there power goes to the transfer switch and then to the main breaker panel. Default position for the transfer switch is shore power. When you start the generator there is a slight delay then the transfer switch engages and provides generator power to the breaker panel.
You could have a failure in the delay relay, the generator circuit breaker or the transfer switch all easier to check than pulling the generator.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
The transfer switch (delay relay) in our 345 is mounted on the generator housing box, but inside the MH. Look where the wiring feeds into the MH from the generator housing outside. Then look for where it comes inside. Oue wiring goes straight into the switch box painted black. Ours is automatic switching via a short timer built into the switch. The location was under the front dinette seat for us.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
1993 36' Classic 36
Huger , South Carolina
All
Ok let me try to answer in some sort of order.
The generator is gas and makes a hair under 60 amps.
The coach power is 30 amps.
The 4x4 box inside the generator compartment I mentioned before has a 20amp circuit breaker on it and is supplied its power via a plug from both main generator circuit breakers. This box supplies only the rear ac through one of 2 transfer switches. The main transfer switch handles the rest of the coach.
Both transfer switches are located in the back RS corner of the trunk.
Once I opened up the main TS I found smoke residue on the wiring. There was a crispy fried about the size of a dime ( relay... doide) in it. I'm currently trying to figure out what it is and what I'd did.
There is that switch above the sink that allows only the front to run or the rear. But since I now know what that box does...it kinda solves my problem on how to hook up an additional power cord for the rear ac.
So to sum it up...I think the TS is done but I'm still not sure why the generator runs unloaded and dies with a load on it.

Again thanks everyone for responding....any new ideas send them on. I'll keep everyone up to date on the progress.

Thanks
Marty
Old 03-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Many transfer switch will have a 120VDC coil so that may be you blown diode.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
1993 36' Classic 36
Huger , South Carolina
Ok here's an update on the generator. I removed it from the coach and found that someone had wired both hot legs together along with the pig tale wire that had a 20 amp plug wired to it. I'm not sure why it was wired this way...but its not now. I rewired it back to the wiring diagram I have in the owners manual. While it was out I replaced the voltage regular, the circuit board with starter button and the clip that holds the governor linkage to the governor. It now runs like a champ. I bought a 30 rv plug and wired it in with the genset on the ground and both circuits provided the amount of amps they were suppose to. The only thing left to fix is the main transfer switch. More to follow and maybe some pictures.