Old 09-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Mount Vernon , Iowa
Generator and Radio

Heading out in one week to pick up our 1989 325!!! So pumped but have two questions. Owner said radio kept draining the battery so they had it disconnected. Any thoughts on the fix?

Also, generator starts but he said it "seems like it's starved for fuel". His guess was build up in the carb but not sure. What's a good course of action to troubleshoot? How often do you use your generator anyway?

Last, as with all these units the cab AC doesn't work. Worth replacing or just run the main A/C off the generator (if that gets working)?

Thanks everyone. Love these forums!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I had an '83, 310. The station preset on the radio and the clock in the radio did put a small draw on the engine battery. What I did was to locate that wire, and put a switch in it so I could turn the station preset and clock off altogether. Of course, when I used it, I had to reset the clock and the stations. No big deal. But it will drain the battery over time.

The second really hard to locate drain on my 310 was the power TV antenna. It was motor driven, and had a switch which said "raise" "off" and "lower". It turns out that for some electrical design reason the "off" was not really off, but there was a small (as I recall about 20 mA) drain all the time. It would kill the coach batteries over time, so I put a second switch in the circuit to truly shut the antenna off. Note that this was not an antenna amplifier, which can do the same thing, this was the power TV antenna itself. Took me some time to find what was causing the low drain.

Dash air is nice to have. It worked fairly well on my 310. I would have it fixed.

Generators can be fussy, but once you get them running well, and if you run them now and then, they are not too bad in reliability. At least mine never was.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I bet you are Pumped Joel!
Make sure you have your Good Sam or AAA in place and a few basic tools if you are a handy kinda guy.

The radio, should be a minimal drain, so dont wory about it until you get home, and can get a Multimeter on the battery post and lead and get a reading on what the drain really is.

The generator could be a few things.
The gas tank being 1/4 full or less... The gas dip tube for the Genset is shorter, so you dont run the tank too dry to drive to the gas station.. I confirmed this myself recently.
Other ideas: Gummed carb or blocked filter, bad fuel pump, low oil level.

If the genset, and indeed the motorhome itself has not run much recently, i would toss a couple of cans of Seafoam in before the drive... about $8 a piece in Walmart, and I have personally seen how good that cleans carbs!

The dash air should be easy to fix, but unless its been converted, it will be R12... and stick to that as the R134a convertion never run as cold in my experience..
Old 09-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Does the genset have it's own filter? And where on 345?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
What genset do you have?
My Kohler has a fuel filter in the fuel pump intake, and also someone added another to the supply lin in the genset compartment.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
I have an Onan, that looks like it's had some new lines run...guess I'll crawl around to find if they made any other changes. Is the filter at the fuel pump accessible without dropping the tank? I hope so because I just filled the tank, of course, and I'm not looking forward to dropping it. Thanks...I got a lot to learn.