Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyspook
Does the fuel line to the Genset have it's own filter. Mine is clogged/disconnected/not working and being new at this, I'm unsure where to look.

I'm assuming that I'll have to drop the tank to check it?

One more thing, if I go with the propane kit for the Genset, it won't matter, Right? I'd just need to clamp off the old/unused Genset fuel line.

Sorry if this is redundant.
The gender does have it's own inline fuel filter. If I remember only one. There are so many filters on that moho. :-)

Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #30
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyspook View Post
Does the fuel line to the Genset have it's own filter. Mine is clogged/disconnected/not working and being new at this, I'm unsure where to look.

I'm assuming that I'll have to drop the tank to check it?

One more thing, if I go with the propane kit for the Genset, it won't matter, Right? I'd just need to clamp off the old/unused Genset fuel line.

Sorry if this is redundant.
Mine has a filter in the bottom of the fuel pump on the generator. I've replaced the pump in the past. I keep forgetting to look at where the fuel line goes from/to generator.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Milton , Florida
Thanks, I guess nothing is a substitute for crawling under...the filter at the pump seems like a good idea. Maybe I can replace the inline with a filter I can actually get to.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
There is a separate fuel line that runs to the gen set down the street-side inner frame. The line is a steel then rubber then steel then rubber to the tank and only 1/4" so it will be your first line to clog if you have an old rusty tank. On mine, there was only the one filter/pump on the gen. The pick up on the tank is an all in one thing 5 (vacuum/ emissions hoses) tubes coming out of tank. If I had your problem I would buy 30 feet of 1/4" Type A fuel hose and about 12 feet of 1/2" fuel hose to cut and slide over the 1/4" possible chafe areas and zip tie it to the old 1/4 steel lines. The old lines are going to be vary brittle because of the ethanol in gas today so it is a good thing to replace.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #33
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I got the pressure line replaced today. No more room over/around the frame the the gray water tank for any other lines. From the front the 1/2 steel has rubber hose that is forced over it. This maybe 7/16th the goes to another steel line beside the gray water tank, then it hooked to a 3/8 fitting on the regulator. It now has 1/2 rubber and the 1/2 barbed fitting from the regulator to the 1/2 steel line by the deferential.
I think I can remove the clamp bolt (or cut them off) that hold the three steel lines against the frame behind the gray water tank and pull them out leaving room the the other two. That wont happen till less gas is in the tank.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #34
Athens GA

1995 28' Excella
1989 34' Excella
1986 31' Sovereign
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel
I got the pressure line replaced today. No more room over/around the frame the the gray water tank for any other lines. From the front the 1/2 steel has rubber hose that is forced over it. This maybe 7/16th the goes to another steel line beside the gray water tank, then it hooked to a 3/8 fitting on the regulator. It now has 1/2 rubber and the 1/2 barbed fitting from the regulator to the 1/2 steel line by the deferential.
I think I can remove the clamp bolt (or cut them off) that hold the three steel lines against the frame behind the gray water tank and pull them out leaving room the the other two. That wont happen till less gas is in the tank.
Drive it 20 miles to empty out the gas tank. :-)
Old 09-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #35
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtle lynn View Post
Drive it 20 miles to empty out the gas tank. :-)
That's about right, but not quite that bad. Have checked mileage one time (w/o getting towed home by way of AAA) sense all my transmission problems and got 6.3mph. Was hoping for mph improvement with the new overdrive transmission, but NOT!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
That's about right, but not quite that bad. Have checked mileage one time (w/o getting towed home by way of AAA) sense all my transmission problems and got 6.3mph. Was hoping for mph improvement with the new overdrive transmission, but NOT!

6.3 is a GOOD day...after traveling 900+ miles, it sure is nice to park it for...oh...4 months(minus the trips to the necessary station)...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
So, this week I too am about to embark on my "Fuel Line Saga".

I can still smell fuel when I am walking around my M/H... and also in the bedroom, which I will assume is vapor and filler neck related, so will reseal that whole zone in the process of my underbed and water tank revamp.

Now the external fuel smell, I just can't pin down... I smell it strongest by the kerbside rear wheels.
I got under yesterday, and sniffed the lines... but ALL of the fuel lines stink of gas when I smell them! The rear lines look and feel ok, and some are Goodyear Rubber Fuel line and have a date code on them from '07... but they smell too!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Here is my Concern... and maybe someone can tell me..
It looks like I have a Hard/Steel line above the Grey tank too...
My fuel feed goes from the tank/pump then up onto the chassis rail above the grey tank on left... I can see the rubber lines for feed and return attaching to the hard pipes in top LH side of this Pic:

A little creative wiggling of my camera into the place where my head would not fit gave me this pic... looking forward along the chassis rail above the grey tank...
I dont like the look of these metal pipes, either the rusty condition nor its simplicity to replace!!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
One word for fuel line replacement Steve, OUCH!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:46 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Oh, Oh, Oh... Guys...

Dont forget this little pair of "Hidden gems" on my '84 in the underbed area I found today!

Behind this ABS Cover... which was neither sealed well to the wall, or filler cap casting....

A short piece of filler pipe... looks like 2"... and a piece of vent pipe, looks like 5/8".
Oh, and note also the HUGE gap between the floor and pipes.... so any vapor leaks just sail thru inside!

Different view...
Old 10-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
When I did my inspection port for the intank fuel pump, I had to lift the carpet(didn't want to cut) so I got to see the structure similar to what your first picture shows. I didn't remove the plastic cover to reveal pipes or the hole but on the street side they didn't use plastic only a thin plywood cover box to hold carpet, under that was the gapping 4x8 hole for the 2 inch pipe, but it was sealed by carpet and caulk.
I did smell gas last year when I filled the fuel tank, but it went away fast, so seeing your setup, I should have taken that plastic cover off to reveal the gas overflow and vent tube, good news is I can do it next time I smell gas.
My solution to replace fuel lines would utilize the access port I cut in the floor maybe make it bigger for an easier job, use the old fuel lines to pull new or if they aren't free, route new ones by a different route coming out of the front top area of the tank and take same rubber to the side rail install filter and use steel to the front, change over to rubber to the motor. about 5 joints(each a possible future leak so visible and accessable for future inspection and repair.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks Dave.
My discovery was kinda a shocker, because I had already replaced the filler pipe below the floor, yet still could smell the gas...

I think its an important one to share here, and I hope nobody thinks I am a thread hijacker!

I will be replacing these 2 pipes, and making a plate to seal that hole in the floor.
Need to do some work on the ABS cover too.
Its really flimsy. I am thinking to solvent glue some strips of ABS onto the flanges, and top edge to stiffen it, and that will allow the sealant to hold and seal better.

The pipe over the grey tank has got to be replaced... Its high in my mind that around the Wheelarch on that side is where I smell gas outside.
I am thinking same as you, and will find some SS line, so its done right. I am no way dropping the grey tank unless I have to. If I need to bend it or reroute it I will.