Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #1

1986 32.5' Airstream 325
East Liverpool , Ohio
Front tires for 1986 325

Replacing front tires for the first time since I've owned her and need some advice...I do plan to move away from the 8r19.5 and go to 225/70r19.5 (all rear tires are already 225/70r19.5 which were on when I purchased the motor home and are only 2 years old. They are "Roadmaster" brand and I'm not completely happy with them, can't seem to get them balanced correctly and ride seems rough. Not sure why previous owner left the front a different size)? My local shop had 3 options and I'm not sure which way to go? Michelin XRV at $460 each, Goodyear g670 RV for $385 each and Kelly Armoursteel for $260 each. Leaning towards the Michelins but don't want to waste the money if they aren't worth it?
DarininOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:23 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
I understand that the tires are probably the most important thing on the RV
I know that the tires are the only thing between your rig your family your life and the earth and at 60 miles an hour they become SUPER important!!!
But I have bought some Samson tires 8R19.5's for $160 each
My 345 has tires that are old and a little dry rotted. I replace the two front ones with new ones. I am not made of money, but the next few months I plan / hope to have at least the drive tires also replaced with Samson's
I have heard warnings that other tire sizes, when they are duels can "kiss" (touch each other's sidewall's) and that is NEVER a good thing!
I believe if money were no object for me, and I thought the tires are safe. I would probably go with the Michelin's or good year's
BUT a savings of $300 A tire (that's a lot of money) Samsons will have to do for me.
What I've posted here is only my opinion. I only have a few hundred miles on the Samson's, but they seem to be OK
I once saw a silly complaint that the Samson's had a stink to them!?
Only once at A campsite did I think I smelled the smell of new rubber
"I love the smell of the rubber in the morning, smells like... victory[emoji28]"
As always I'm looking forward to other peoples comments and opinions here
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Personally, I have used both Michelins and mid range tyres e.g. Goodyears. I have not had a problem with either, provided they are:

replaced on a regular basis
comfortably within the stock load range (preferably slightly above)
not damaged in anyway
inspected once in a while
fitted correctly

I think you are fine with mid range if you are a little tight for cash. On my coach, which has the smaller 16" wheels, the 235/85s did slightly kiss on the rear duallys. I wasn't at all happy with this, although it does seem to be something which tyre shops install, so I swapped them out. I would advise against anything which looks too close on the duallys. If you want to run the tyres for up to 10 years without changing, I would consider the Michelins.

Nick
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I have no experience with your choices but I just went from 8R's to Cooper RM170 G 225/70R19.5 in the front, I dont have any miles on them yet, they sit a inch lower and are a bit wider. I picked the pair up from Service Tire for under $400, I brought the wheels to them, not the entire MH.
Make sure your spare is the same size as your rear tires. You cant mix and match on the rears. My rears are still the 8R's so that is the size of my spare.
For balancing I use beads http://www.innovativebalancing.com/
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Wayne....I have the Goodyear's on my 89 325LE and they are OK. I plan on buying 9 Michelins for the 370LE...You know I only work 2 miles from where you live and I got a better price. Why don't you PM me and I'll hook you up with my guy. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
MH Tires

I recently replaced the front tires on my 1988 325. I was able to find the same Bridgestone 8R x 19.5 that have been on my coach since I bought it in 2004. My advice to you is to ONLY purchase an ALL-STEEL tire! Steel belts and sidewalls. This kind of tire offers the best protection against all road hazards. I have had no tire problems on any wheel on my 325. It has the Bridgestone 8Rs all around, and the 8Rs are an All-Steel tire. The front tires were on the coach from the previous owner. He had replaced the front tires in 2000. Therefore, the front tires were on my coach for 16 to 17 years! I would periodically coat the outside of the tire sidewalls with a product called "Sun Block Tire Protection." Camping World sells it. I have never used any tire covers. The old, 16 year-old tires, looked good when they were replaced. No cracking or obvious deterioration of the sidewalls. But, didn't want to take any chances with front tire problems, so I replaced them. I replaced all of the rear tires in 2004 and those tires are on the coach right now. Have used the tire coating on them also. The coach recently made an uneventful trip from Albuquerque NM to Austin TX, about 650 miles in one day with no tire issues. Needless to say tire pressures should be checked before any trip!
GTOChucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
On my 345 I'v fitted on the rear, 6 Continental (Drive Axle) 225/70r19.5 but insisted on the (Steer Axle) tires for front and for the spare (Mixed Axle) .These steer axle tires have that crown in them that helps these vehicles track buitifully. Some Tyre shops fit you with what they have, so something to watch out for.I miss the larger 8r tire just that much higher, but can't buy them out here.I also keep them covered with black shade cloth with zinc anodes in 4 cloth corners, small stands under axles to keep half the load off the tires when parked up.

Russ
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Motor home tires are like truck tires, you get what you pay for, the tires after 2004 will deteriorate fast, by the 5th to 7th year be unsafe, check this out..my neighbors motorhome ,sat inside his shop,wasn't used much, short trips...6 years his tires were weather checked with cracks on the inside...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Motor home tires are like truck tires, you get what you pay for, the tires after 2004 will deteriorate fast, by the 5th to 7th year be unsafe, check this out..my neighbors motorhome ,sat inside his shop,wasn't used much, short trips...6 years his tires were weather checked with cracks on the inside...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote