Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2005, 09:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Glen,

Since I haven't done the job yet, perhaps I'm not your best source of information, but I have used Parbond for many years. It's a sealant, and I've used it on any outside seams and joints with my Avion trailers - with great success. Leaks just don't happen where I've used it. (Of course, Avions don't ever leak - NOT!) Technically, it's not a glue, so I would use the weatherstrip glue, unless someone like guy99 says otherwise. Let us know how the job goes. I've still got to face it.

Noiva (Tim)
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
After driving home last night in 30 degree weather and with passengers sitting in the back complaining about the leaky windows this was a very timely posting. Thank you for all the information and detail.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Glen,
I have no idea how Parbond would do. You mentioned that the wiper stripe was what slowed you down. Did you hit upon any better ways to remove or install it?
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Chaplain,
I have only worked on the cockpit windows. I don't know how similar the other windows will be to repair. Seems like I saw a thread with instructions for this task but I can't seem to locate it. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:16 PM   #25
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
How To

I have the stripping but haven't started to remove the old. What is the best way to remove the driver and passenger front windows?
cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Cooperhawk,
See post #8 in this thread for my attempt to explain how I did mine.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Just as Guy99 said the center "wiper" strip on the exterior is a bit of a problem to install. I used the same method as he did with a small though blunt screwdriver doing the job. It took quite a bit of time but in the end it was worth the trouble.
I've only done the drivers side and have to be on the road tomorrow and hope to revisit the passenger side next weekend.
I'm also going to order the exterior stipping for the final touch as it seems like it would be wrong to call the job complete without replacing it.
In my case the fuzzy center strip was in great shape so does not require replacement.

BTW in my coach the cockpit windows are the only true operating units. The remainder are all fixed. Three of them are emergency exit types that have a panic bar and hinge out from the top.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
[quote=guy99]Steve,

"When I installed the less bushy one and replaced the window, the fuzz didn't contact the other window. So I got the right stuff from Inland RV, took out the old, and in with the new. I think it would be much better to only do the job once, so be sure you get the right stuff. I don't know if all classic motorhomes use the bushy stuff on the driver/passenger window but mine does."

Steve, Would you have the part # from Inland? Inland's return policy is so bad I would hate to order the wrong one and then have to throw it away and spend the extra money for the correct part. The bushy stuff is literally falling out on three of my windows and I want to get it fixed before it gets any colder.

Another question is on the weather stripping from CR Laurence the AS126896 which was mentioned in a previous post by Peter H in March 04, that is used on a 66 Valiant. Has anyone had luck getting this at a local shop. I will be doing all of my windows and at $2.95 a foot plus the high shipping and handling involved, the fuzzy schlegle will break the bank.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I got mine thru Restoration Specialties in Penn. They were quick and fair on the pricing. The local Binswanger guys carry it, but its such a cheap part no one would bother to get it for me. They kept putting me off until it was very annoying. I have had it in plave for awhile now, it continues to work well. http://www.restorationspecialties.com/products.htm call them they are very helpful.

CRL Flexible Flocked Rubber Glass Run Channels for 1963-1966 Valiant and Dart are OEM quality and will provide you with the best results when replacing or repairing damaged or missing channels in older vehicles. These 100% rubber channels will not rust or corrode like wire loom channels can and are the perfect upgrade when replacing older style channels. Although CRL states the original applications for these channels, by using the measurements shown you can use these channels on numerous other vehicles. All channels are Electrostatic Flocked Rubber to protect the glass and provide quiet operation.

Measure the channel if you are worried about fitment.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:03 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I was out spending some quality time with Chummy and reading the service manual section concerning windows. That is where I needed to start. You people have been talking about the cockpit windows and I have been talking about the back or side windows. According to the service manual I need to drill out all of the rivets, about 150 and remove the inside frames, unscrew the outside channels, if they can be loosened of thier rust, and then remove the windows to get at the channels. OK, after all that what do I use as a new channel? The ones that are there now are so brittle they simply break if I even tap them with a screw driver. Has anyone done this job? I might as well replace the screens when I have them out. Next question is about the tan colored rivets. I can find white and of course silver but not tan and I would hate to replace all of these with white or silver. How about painting rivets before you use them?
How many threads in this one post?
Old 10-29-2005, 08:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Well I finished up the passenger side of the bus today. The second side went much faster than the driver side. Experience counts! Even pushing in the verticle "wiper" molding went faster. I really did notice a difference in the wind noise on the driver side last week.
Now that I'm on a roll I think I'll tackle the engine cover insulation and sound proofing. As I spend a lot of time returning phone calls between sales appointments the sound reduction is important.
The instructions posted on this thread really did help me accomplish the job, thanks!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 10-30-2005, 09:06 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

'77 Argosy 20'

My partner in crime and I just finished the driver and passenger windows; here are our findings, in no particular order:
- For ease of installation/lubrication, I have for years sworn by "Dive Silicone". It's 100% "Food Grade" silicone in an aerosol can. It has no petroleum additives, and unlike products like WD40, it's not hydroscopic (Doesn't "draw water".)
-We used the Airstream fuzzy window channel, purchasing the entire lot from Inland RV (Thanks, Andy!) I like the additional "strength factor" of the steel reinforcement of these channels.
-Cleanup/removal of old product is KEY! In doing so, we found no evidence (at least on MY coach) of any residual adhesive in holding in the gray outside W/S, or the fuzzy vertical strip; consequently, we used no adhesive in attaching same. We can always add Parr bond later on if this starts detaching.
-In removing the original fuzzy channel, it was my finding that the adhesive was used VERY sparingly in attaching it; my opinion is that this was used only to facilitate quick on the line assembly of the window frames. We used NO W/S adhesive in assembling these. They now work effortlessly thanks to liberal use of the aforementioned Dive Silicone, and seem firmly seated in the aluminum window channels; again, if they begin to pull out of the channels over time, we'll use Super W/S adhesive sparingly to attach same.
-Because we used the stock metal-reinforced product fuzzy channel, we used a technique for installation whereby we punched a small hole in the end of the channel, and used a length of stainless "mechanic's wire" to pull the W/S through the channel, both top and bottom, one person lifting the window as the other pulled the channel with the wire. This technique worked well!
-On removing the fuzzy channel, I found no evidence of any material being removed in the weep hole areas. Due to the nature of this product, it appears that it will allow natural "wicking" of water down into the aluminum channel and out the weep holes. Again, if we find later that there's a problem, we'll relieve this material using one of the aforementioned techniques in the weep hole areas.
I hope some of these comments are helpful to anyone who tries this - your critiques are welcomed!
TheGanzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:46 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Hey TheGanzman, where do you find "Dive Silicone"?

I concur with your findings with minor exception. I also like the metal reinforcement of the fuzzy Schlegle channel from InlandRV.

I did poke some holes in mine but didn't really remove much material.

I have two unopened tubes of adhesive, one Parbond and one Super 3M Weatherstrip. I didn't see any reason to apply it to the gray vericle w/s and was going to wait until I needed to use the 3m on the fuzzy channel.

You're right on with your comments. I used a pair of needle nose plyers to pull the channel into place while pushing up on the window and then sliding it forward and working the top in, sliding it back exposed the top run enough to grab and pull through.

On a scale of 5 this DIY project is a weak 2
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 10-30-2005, 06:41 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
OK Weekend Warriors everyone is doing the driver's and passenger cockpit windows. I am still waiting for someone who has done a side window in the coach area. Am I the only one who has worn weather stripping on the side windows?
Old 10-31-2005, 07:17 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

"Dive Silicone"

Sorry - this can be bought at most Scuba Dive Shops, and/or online. Many of them don't carry the aerosol any more, just the spray pump bottles, but they should be able to order the 15 oz. cans - brand name "Aquaseal". Hope this helps!
TheGanzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:56 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Glen- what are you using to insulate the doghouse?
And a comment on the metal in that Schlegle channel, thats what rusts out. Mine had nothing left when I pulled it out and replaced it. It was held together by strands of fiber.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:08 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Alan, the original fiberglass mat is in place but hanging so I'm going to replace it soon too. I built the new air intake box yesterday and now am looking for some 4" hose to duct the air into it from the new remote filter.
See ... more air... posted earlier for pictures.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 03-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Geneseo , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
How about painting rivets before you use them?
You should be able to paint new rivets to match, provided that you prime coat the tops of the rivets. Use a good auto primer like the Rust-Oleum Grey (look for the can with the car on the front). You don't need a heavy prime coat.

If you can find a tan spray epoxy, then you're good to go. True-Value stores can often order colors you need if they don't have them onhand. You can use enamels also, they just aren't quite as hard of a finish as the epoxys. Allow the rivets to dry at least a week before installing.

Depending on how many you need to paint, consider setting-up a little jig to make the painting easier. Take an old board & drill some 3/6"-1/4" holes across the top to allow the rivet faces to lie flush with the top of the board.
SwanMfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1983 30' Airstream 300
Syracuse , New York
Thank you for the link. I have been able to replace the fuzzy schnagle. But that link did not mention adhesive. We need adhesive right?

Also the vertical trim that goes on the angle bar and acts like a wiper against the moving window as it moves in and out, its called the "Airstream Motor Home Vertical Lip Window Seal"....How do I replace that? The trim piece rides in a grove. I don't see how to get the old one out or the new one in.
jkaftan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaftan View Post
Thank you for the link. I have been able to replace the fuzzy schnagle. But that link did not mention adhesive. We need adhesive right?

Also the vertical trim that goes on the angle bar and acts like a wiper against the moving window as it moves in and out, its called the "Airstream Motor Home Vertical Lip Window Seal"....How do I replace that? The trim piece rides in a grove. I don't see how to get the old one out or the new one in.
I have not used adhesive on the schegel stuff, it seems to stay put okay without any help.

See post #13 in this thread on the vertical trim.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote