Louisville , Kentucky
guy99 - many thanks again!

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Tim,
The rubber weather stripping is available from Inland RV. The stripping that goes around the perimeter of the window is actually different from the stripping which goes on the vertical bar. Replacing the stripping on the vertical bar was the most difficult but on my MH it really cut down the wind noise. This molding has a somewhat complex shape, there is a rather wide part which actually contacts the sliding window then there is a center core with 'fins' two of these 'fins' have to be pushed through a very narrow slot. I never found a real good way to do this. What I did was to hook one 'fin' into the slot and then curl the stripping and poked the other fin into the slot. Spray on silicon seemed to help some. I tried my screen tool but it didn't go far enough into the slot to get the second 'fin' where it needed to be. I used a pretty small flat blade screwdriver. The problem with that is that you have to push hard enough that the screw driver would from time to time puncture the 'fin' or the core. I found this irritating but concluded that it wasn't going to cause any functional problem. Having a better tool might make this easier, you need something which is strong enough to take a good bit of pressure, narrow enough to fit into the narrow slot, and blunt enough that it doesn't puncture.

The perimeter weather stripping is pretty easy to install, it too has a center core with two fins on each side, you push the 'fins' into a slot which goes around the window. The slot is wider that the other one so this job is tedious but not difficult. The first one I did I did dry. On the second one I used silicon spray and it was much easier.

Good luck.

Guy

Old 10-23-2005, 03:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Window Weather Strips

Guy,

Once again, I'm printing your instructions. They are great, just as before. I really appreciate your time and efforts. I should have gone out and looked at the windows before saying the rubber went all the way around. You are right, of course, that they only go top, back, and bottom (partial on top and bottom). The strip that is the weather seal between the two windows appears to be in very good condition on both sides, but I'm saving your instructions on that also. It's the smaller perimeter rubber that is shaped somewhat like a 'C' that is cracking, and you've covered that as well.

I can't thank you enough for helping the "new" kid with an Airstream.

Best wishes,

Tim (Noiva)
Old 10-23-2005, 08:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
how about

using old metal (not plastic, too thick) tire irons for bicycles. Park Tools makes them, they're thin, blunt and wide. Any good bicycle shop should sell them.
Marc
Old 10-23-2005, 08:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
how about

Thanks for the suggestion. Anything that makes these jobs simpler is great. I appreciate you taking the time to suggest this.

All the best,

Tim (noiva)
Old 10-24-2005, 09:00 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
O.k. so I got the drivers side done yesterday... in between preping the rear "dance floor" area for tile.
The part that slowed me down was installing the "wiper" weather strip down the middle beam.
Now that it's all in place I've got a question... Inland sent two different types of glue. Parbond and a 3M weatherstrip glue. I don't see any need to glue the gray center strip. So which glue should I use for the fuzzy Schlegle channel???
Thanks to the instructions this all went together rather painlessly!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Glen,

Since I haven't done the job yet, perhaps I'm not your best source of information, but I have used Parbond for many years. It's a sealant, and I've used it on any outside seams and joints with my Avion trailers - with great success. Leaks just don't happen where I've used it. (Of course, Avions don't ever leak - NOT!) Technically, it's not a glue, so I would use the weatherstrip glue, unless someone like guy99 says otherwise. Let us know how the job goes. I've still got to face it.

Noiva (Tim)
Old 10-24-2005, 10:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
After driving home last night in 30 degree weather and with passengers sitting in the back complaining about the leaky windows this was a very timely posting. Thank you for all the information and detail.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:15 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Glen,
I have no idea how Parbond would do. You mentioned that the wiper stripe was what slowed you down. Did you hit upon any better ways to remove or install it?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Chaplain,
I have only worked on the cockpit windows. I don't know how similar the other windows will be to repair. Seems like I saw a thread with instructions for this task but I can't seem to locate it. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:16 PM   #25
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
How To

I have the stripping but haven't started to remove the old. What is the best way to remove the driver and passenger front windows?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Cooperhawk,
See post #8 in this thread for my attempt to explain how I did mine.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Just as Guy99 said the center "wiper" strip on the exterior is a bit of a problem to install. I used the same method as he did with a small though blunt screwdriver doing the job. It took quite a bit of time but in the end it was worth the trouble.
I've only done the drivers side and have to be on the road tomorrow and hope to revisit the passenger side next weekend.
I'm also going to order the exterior stipping for the final touch as it seems like it would be wrong to call the job complete without replacing it.
In my case the fuzzy center strip was in great shape so does not require replacement.

BTW in my coach the cockpit windows are the only true operating units. The remainder are all fixed. Three of them are emergency exit types that have a panic bar and hinge out from the top.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
[quote=guy99]Steve,

"When I installed the less bushy one and replaced the window, the fuzz didn't contact the other window. So I got the right stuff from Inland RV, took out the old, and in with the new. I think it would be much better to only do the job once, so be sure you get the right stuff. I don't know if all classic motorhomes use the bushy stuff on the driver/passenger window but mine does."

Steve, Would you have the part # from Inland? Inland's return policy is so bad I would hate to order the wrong one and then have to throw it away and spend the extra money for the correct part. The bushy stuff is literally falling out on three of my windows and I want to get it fixed before it gets any colder.

Another question is on the weather stripping from CR Laurence the AS126896 which was mentioned in a previous post by Peter H in March 04, that is used on a 66 Valiant. Has anyone had luck getting this at a local shop. I will be doing all of my windows and at $2.95 a foot plus the high shipping and handling involved, the fuzzy schlegle will break the bank.