Old 02-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Front shocks

I've got a question about our shocks on a 250 MH. It's a bit dumb so please forgive me. When I had a truck garage inspect the MH they said the front shocks didn;t work properly. I assumed they needed replacing and intended to get a full set of Bilsteins put in before we ship it back to the UK. The MH is now having some work done on the coach part and the mechanic indicated that he didn't think there were any front shocks - only airbags. Is this possible? Did airstream sometimes incorporate the shocks into the airbag system or could they simply be missing? Any help greatly appreciated.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds
I've got a question about our shocks on a 250 MH. It's a bit dumb so please forgive me. When I had a truck garage inspect the MH they said the front shocks didn;t work properly. I assumed they needed replacing and intended to get a full set of Bilsteins put in before we ship it back to the UK. The MH is now having some work done on the coach part and the mechanic indicated that he didn't think there were any front shocks - only airbags. Is this possible? Did airstream sometimes incorporate the shocks into the airbag system or could they simply be missing? Any help greatly appreciated.
The motorhome shocks have always been separate from the air bags.

Both are used in the front.

The front air bags MUST be pressurized to 55 PSI, as per Airstream.

Then the front end can be properly aligned.

Andy

Old 02-15-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
Pup Rivet

1984 31' Airstream310
Wichita Falls , Texas
The front end of your motor home has coil springs one on each side. They are between the a-frames which connect the wheels to the frame. The springs support the weight of the motor home and allow the front end to bounce or move up and down. Inside the springs there are airbags. The airbags are made of a rubber type material and once filled with air, they help to the springs to maintain their proper height, this is important when driving with a crosswind, they keep your motor home from tilting. The standard inflation rate is 55 psi in each bag. The shock absorbers are also connected between the a-frames and the main frame. there is one on each side as well. Their job is is to control the amount of bounce that the a-frame has by absorbing the impact of pot-holes and other imperfection in the road. So to answer your question, you should have a shock,airbag and a spring on each side of your front end or something is missing. I hope this helps. Fred

"It's when we think we know it all, that we have the most to learn"
ftbjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Front shocks

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to order some new shocks from eshocks and ask someone to install them before we arrive in the US. I think I've seen on this site - can anyone confirm that these are the right ones:

eshocks.com: Shocks and Struts: P1500, P2500, P3500, P10, P20, P30, P32, P37 Motorhome

Year TypePart Number List Price Our PriceOrder Quantity 73-00 P1500, P2500, P3500, P10, P20, P30, P32, P37 Motorhome Class A Mono-Tube Gas Front: B46-1173-H3 $121.00 $78.65 Mono-Tube GasRear: B46-1587-H1 $121.00 $78.65 Mono-Tube GasSteering Damper: BE3-2645-H0 $121.00 $78.65 Manufacturer / Setting: Bilstein Heavy Duty ($393.25 for a set of 5 shocks/struts)

Seems like a bargain to me1

cheers

Boom Sounds
Old 02-16-2008, 02:31 AM   #5
_

. , .
hi boom sounds...

while your unit was originally equipped with coil springs that contained airbags...

this is primarily because the stock coil springs were under rated for the moho loads.

there are REPLACEMENT COIL SPRINGS that DO NOT require the extra air bags....

these 'super coils' for the p30 chassis (and others) greatly improve the front end ride...

no more random floating or leaning away on turns and no more need to add air to the inner bag.

i had mine swapped out and the improvement was significant! and the price is about equal to a spring/bag combo.

so look into these super coils springs also...

the bilstein shocks are a nice addition, AND changing the front anti-roll bar to a stiffer one (chrom moly) with POLY bushings...

also nicely improves the precision at the front....

the chrome moly bar and poly bushings are also widely available for this chassis at prices around 2-300$ us.

cheers
2air'

here are a couple of posts on these specific parts...

bushings

http://www.airforums.com/forums/441296-post6.html

ipd bars!!!

Class A Motorhomes

and supercoils springs...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/441479-post13.html

and another on the airbag replacement process, if you opt for that instead...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...ent-17305.html

but for me 10 years with supercoils was much nicer than the first 10 years with soft coils and inner airbags.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Hi guys,

The strange thing is that I don't think the coil springs exist. I will speak to the mechanic again today (bear in mind he is an airstream guy who is expert on the coach/appliances not chassis. Is it possible that the springs are inside the bags? Is it possible that the vehicle could just run on airbags at the front? He did manage to drive it 150 miles down to Los Banos!

Also. if the springs are missing - do I need to replace these if I fit the Bilsteins?

thanks

Boom Sounds
Old 02-16-2008, 02:50 AM   #7
_

. , .
well it's POSSIBLE the original coil/bag set up was replaced by a FULL bag front suspension....

this would be a much different air bag and similar to the REAR bag units...

you'll need photos of the setup to know....

take a look a the bag/coil pix in the last thread i linked for how she would have been originally.

i think.

cheers
2air'

SHOCKs alone will not work they only 'dampen' movement and recoil,

they do NOT support/suspend the front end. that's what the coil/bag or coil or bag only setups do...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote