Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2017, 03:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Front Couch/bed actuator repair?

The front couch/bed in our 91 350LE was made by Flexsteel, with an actuator made by Van Weise Gear Company to change it from a couch to a bed. The electric motor that powers the actuator has failed, and Van Weise says that they have neither replacement motors or parts. Has anyone else had this problem, and how was it solved? Can anyone recommend a competent electric motor rebuilder?? It IS a real bear to move this thing by hand.

Best to all,
Rob
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Our 1991 flexsteel coach/bed is manual. It's no bother, aside fro making sure no one slices the children's hands in the mechanism.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Front couch/bed actuator repair?

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I'll wager that we have a different installation. The back of the couch is very heavy; getting it pulled up into place so that the seat can be pushed into place under it really is a bit of work. There are no moving parts visible which could hurt someone. If I cannot find a replacement motor or have the failed one rebuilt, I may look into modifying the mechanism so the worm can be turned with a "wrench" like a scissor jack.

Best,
Rob
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
This is where things can get a bit funny......

Most non high production items that use electric motors use motors meant for a high production application. I.E, Kwikee steps model 860 used a drivers side power window motor out of a 1996 Ford Taurus. My Yardworks snowblower has a powered remote controlled chute that uses a rear passenger window motor out of a 1999 Chevy Lumina.

If I were you I'd take the motor out and search it for serial number, model number, HZ, amps, volts etc and post what you find online. You may get lucky and find that the motor is out of a dryer.

BTW it is worthwhile to find this out as Yardworks wanted me to spend $376.00 + taxes for a motor that cost me $27.00 at Carquest with core return. All I had to do was tap two of the mounting holes for bolts in the new motor, (10 minutes of my time).

As for electric motor rebuilders; any competent alternator/starter rebuilder in your area MAY be able to help.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Flexsteel couch

We recently installed a flexsteel power reclining couch in our 30'FC I would think the motor froma current model flexsteel couch would be pretty much the same as an older model.
Golfer503 is offline   Reply With Quote