Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
front antenna

called airstream to get a new antenna which was broken when caught in a branch,they told me they no longer make these.....so where can i find a second hand one??? would prefer that as opposed to get a commercial one which looks too modern and has a spring on it....any ideas????
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
I may have one.

I just replaced the front antenna on my 91 classic with a real CB antenna. If I can find the perfectly good one I took off, you can have it. I will look in my garage when I get home. I threw away the base so all I may have is the screw in mast with the SWR tunable tip at the end. This pic is the replacement Steve
t7389sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Which one? Take a picture. I might have one. I got rid of the CB and a rear AM/FM. Still have one up front to loose. Its base loaded with some currly Qs. 5 meter I think. POS was a HAM. It looked like the mothership on Close Encounters.

If its just the element that you want to screw into an existing base look for one that fits (origional). The bases can be a bastard to replace. They are potted in, bolts usually rusted, and fasteners requiring removing the head liner and inner skin to get at.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
radio antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Which one? Take a picture. I might have one. I got rid of the CB and a rear AM/FM. Still have one up front to loose. Its base loaded with some currly Qs. 5 meter I think. POS was a HAM. It looked like the mothership on Close Encounters.

If its just the element that you want to screw into an existing base look for one that fits (origional). The bases can be a bastard to replace. They are potted in, bolts usually rusted, and fasteners requiring removing the head liner and inner skin to get at.
the base which fell apart,no picture to be taken,there is nothing there now....replace the whole thing??????do i... have to snake in a new wire???only a bit of wire is sticking out....
i am also looking for 8 wheel caps,airstream does not make them anymore!!!!you guys are great!!!!!!!.M.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
On my 91 there is a small support for the mast about 8" up from the base that the antenna mast slipped through. Is that gone as well? When the base came off did it leave a big hole in the side of the coach? I see by a quick Google search you can find a side mount AM/FM antenna and I can tell you how to get to the back of the mount from inside the coach. It isn’t easy but I did it so it can be done. I had to do all of that to install this antenna to make the cb work better. I still have FM with this Firestick CB antenna.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
antenna

the slip trough and antenna itself are intact,its just the base that completely fell apart in two section,just had to unscrew the bottom part,it did not tear off so there is just the wire sticking out.....
Old 06-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I just broke mine last week, but I found it was a combo radio/CB unit...

If you just need the radio, look at these two that I was looking at too...

AIRSTREAM RV Camper Motorhome am/fm Stereo Rado Side Mount Dual Base ANTENNA New | eBay

Radio Antenna Camper Truck Lance StarCrafy Scamp Cassita Scotty Salem Airstream | eBay
Old 06-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
antena

Yes, just the radio.....thank you very much,that second one looks very much like what was there,will order it and then figure out as to what to do with the wire....i wish i could connect it to the existing one instead of having to snake through a new one.....again,i appreciate all the help i get from this forum....
Old 06-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
You are so welcome!
Bottom line is, as I have learned, we all are in the same boat!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
antenna

just spend a FRUSTRATING half hour on ebay,first with forgotten passwords and username etc......and then,they refused my master card payment.. only taking pay pall or other ????have no patience for that sort of thing.will try the first one....
Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
That is good that you found it. For anyone who is following this thread, if eBay does not have it in the future, just Google

077069-01-000
Old 06-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by t7389sg View Post
I just replaced the front antenna on my 91 classic with a real CB antenna. If I can find the perfectly good one I took off, you can have it. I will look in my garage when I get home. I threw away the base so all I may have is the screw in mast with the SWR tunable tip at the end. This pic is the replacement Steve
Did the new CB antenna help improve your reception? I have a hand held Uniden CB in our motorhome with bad reception and was wondering if a new antenna might improve the problem.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
antena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@LED4RV View Post
That is good that you found it. For anyone who is following this thread, if eBay does not have it in the future, just Google

077069-01-000

piece of cake!!!!what a great sight....will use it for future needs....thank you,i will have it early next week.....then comes the fun part...how to make it work...figure things out....all such labor of love,and but ,no radio while on the road is inconceivable!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
Yes it improved greatly. The oe antenna is really not a good cb antenna. The new firestick works great but it will not receive am broadcast just fm.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I use my unused CB antenna as an 'on the road' flag pole.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3110740.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	161162  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
i fixed the antenna today,had to drill the old one out,push the new wire in,run it behind the panel and along the bottom,under carpet etc...works fine,BUT in the process,when drilling i must have hit the air tube that goes to one of the horns,because when testing everything i now hear only one horn on the roof, and a air noise coming from inside the panel....it seems that when fixing one thing ,another brakes....D.......!!!!