Old 09-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Forward Cabinet Removal

I need to remove the forward overhead cabinet on my 95 Classic 360 to bump out a dent. I can not figure out how they are installed. Any help would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks, Dave...

Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I will be removing my interior overhead cap, to massage out a couple of soft dents in my fwd roof. It will also give me a chance to repair some cracks in it.
I dont have the cabinet over the driver/pass, so can't help you with this issue.
Please document your progress with this, as I would love to see how it goes!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
At this point, having removed almost everything that was built into my coach, I can say that the folks at Airstream are not skimpy with screws. Cabinets, walls, compartments, etc are damn well put together. So much so that you'd wonder if they were a structural part of the total coach.
Overhead cabinets were held in place by a number of screws, angle brackets, and blocks. As I recall, it was one of those deals where you think that you've finally got the last fastener removed, only to realize that the cabinet is still attached by another. Repeat that sequence a few times and eventually you'll be there.

Charly.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
At this point, having removed almost everything that was built into my coach, I can say that the folks at Airstream are not skimpy with screws. Cabinets, walls, compartments, etc are damn well put together. So much so that you'd wonder if they were a structural part of the total coach.
Overhead cabinets were held in place by a number of screws, angle brackets, and blocks. As I recall, it was one of those deals where you think that you've finally got the last fastener removed, only to realize that the cabinet is still attached by another. Repeat that sequence a few times and eventually you'll be there.
Charly.
I can't even find the screws to start. They have hidden them very well. There are screws around the very front that I removed. Did nothing to free the bottom. There has to be something hidden or some process for removal. Also will I find an inner skin under this part of the coach?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dent 001 (Large).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	140102   Click image for larger version

Name:	dent 002 (Large).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	140103  

Old 09-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Also will I find an inner skin under this part of the coach?
During a plant tour, I saw a number of front cabinets ready for installation. The cabinets were sitting on the floor, already attached to the portion of the curved aluminum ceiling that extended from the front window back to where the ceiling became straight (where the front cap attaches on a trailer).

That would mean that the cabinet was probably attached to the aluminum sheet from the back and the entire sheet would have too be removed to remove the cabinet. That would explain why you can not find any fasteners. I'm reasonably sure that the entire ceiling portion will have to be removed which means a lot of pop rivets.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Sorry, my bad!! That is the one cabinet that I wasn't thinking of.

Pahaska has it exactly right.

My moho was in a wreck before I bought it, involving the entire right front corner, including the "A" pillar, roof and windshield . That cabinet and ceiling came to me in broken pieces. I have had to fabricate a new cabinet to take its place, so I'm pretty familiar with it.

Since my moho is still apart, I just ran out and shot a few pics. I hope they are helpful.
The cabinet bottom rests into/onto a ledge that is part of the upper windshield frame. This is where all of the weight is carried. You should be able to see the heads of a few screws that are fastened up through the cabinet into this frame. You will have to remove them in order to remove the entire assembly as Pahaska described. Inside the cabinet are some sheet metal "boxes" that contain the contents placed in the cabinet. They are fastened from behind with screws that will be inaccessible, so there goes any hope of banging the dent out from inside the cabinet. You'll have to remove the trim above/around the side windows, and the screws or rivets that run across the ceiling. If you succeed in getting the whole thing loose, you'll want to have a helper on hand. You will be dealing with a very awkward piece, and you will NOT want to let that ceiling get bent out of shape. Once you get it out of the way, you may have to remove a thin layer of insulation, but will have direct access to your dents. Good luck.

Charly
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG0001.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	881.3 KB
ID:	140120   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0002.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	852.6 KB
ID:	140121  

Name:	CIMG0003.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	876.0 KB
ID:	140122  
Old 09-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Thanks for the all the info. I talked to an Airstream repair shop that told my what you guys said. I pulled the sun visor and drilled a 1 inch hole under the mounting bracket. I was able to push some insulation aside with a wooden dowel and get a good look at the inside of the dent with an inspection camera. I pushed on it with the dowel and most of it bonked right out. I going to cut a 6 inch hole on each side for speakers. That will give me plenty of room to work the dents out.

Thanks again, Dave...
Old 09-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I going to cut a 6 inch hole on each side for speakers. That will give me plenty of room to work the dents out.
Thats awesome!