Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Dayton , Tennessee
Floor removal

I've read many, many posts about flooring types & installation techniques but

haven't seen any info on sub floor removal. What shall I expect & any tips

on tearing up the bad plywood? This is only a 4'x4' section under the two

swivel chairs in the salon of our 1982 '310' mh. Removed the old vinyl today

& will attack at dawn.
Pete
woodja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
There are plenty fo threads on floor (what you call sub floor) replacement under the forum title replacing rotten floor/ frame repair. It is a common problem and has been done by lots and lots of people.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Hi Woodja,

If you find any sign of plywood you'll be in better shape than me. When I began to lift up the corners of the carpet on my recently acquired 1990 325 for a "look/see", I was surprised to find that the sub floor consisted entirely of water soaked flake board. Once the water gets into this stuff, it acts like a sponge, swells up, and begins to deteriorate. The sound deadening matt beneath the carpet on top, and the sheet metal layer that separates it from the truck frame below, pretty much prevent the trapped moisture from ever evaporating. I have to say that my view of Airstream quality was diminished a bit after seeing this. At times, I felt as if I was looking at the floor of a rotting garden shed.
My expectations of a minor patch job involving some epoxy resin and plywood quickly went out the window. Since you can't bond to anything that is wet and falling apart, the quick repair evolved into the removal of the entire forward deck on both sides. This included removal of all carpeting, door panels, seats, pedestals, and seat belts. Chasing the rot also brought me under heater/vent box on the passenger side floor. It really got to the point of wondering if it would ever stop. Ultimately, I had to remove another four feet of the main floor beneath the gaucho, and then another section by the bathroom, and finally the entire rear-most ten feet of floor where the bed room would be.
You will discover that the entire sexy aluminum frame/skin assembly of your M/H is sitting on top of, AND FASTENED TO, a flake board deck, which in turn sits on top of a sub frame structure, that spans across and sits on top of the main frame rails. I think a "body off" would have been simpler in my case.

The most used tool on the job was an angle grinder with a cut off wheel. It worked great for cutting off the fasteners that held the flooring to the frame. New flooring was all 3/4 inch exterior grade plywood bedded on construction adhesive. I used the best "wood to metal" self tapping flatheads that I could find from Lowe's. They come with a "Phillips ll" tip that provides great driving power. Even so, I most often had to pre-drill because the steel frame is too hard to penetrate easily. It is damn hard to drill as well, so be prepared to burn through some bits. Watch out where you're drilling, there are lots of things running around beneath the floor.

Good Luck!!

Charly
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Dayton , Tennessee
Streamquest,
The only good news is that I really do have plywood. Apparently the old mh do. 5/8th I've been told. And my bad area(unless it spreads) is behind the passenger seat in the wide open in front of the sofa. Result of a window leak & about 4'x4'. I'll know more in about an hour because I'm ripping into her this am.
Thanks for the info on fasteners, etc. I'll get a couple of pics this am.
Pete
Old 09-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Dayton , Tennessee
One day later & the rot is removed. Not too bad, although I'm not sure I would be so happy if I hadn't had the use of my neighbors 'Multi-Master'. Great tool that I'd never used before.
And the bad area did NOT grow bigger as I got into it. Living right!! Pretty much cleaned up & will cut & fit new 5/8th plywood this AM & then will epoxy coat entire piece to seal.
The grinder worked great to cut off rivets too. I would like to seal edges & bed in 3M 5200 but can't get locally so will settle for trip to Lowes.
And we're moving right along----Pete
Have pics, tonight.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Dayton , Tennessee
On & on it goes

It took me a few days to post these pics as my old dig camera retired.
I am ready for new flooring, which I have purchased, & also finished the rebuild of the forward passenger sliding window.
Both projects going well & rewarding------Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	110248   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010008.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	110249  

Old 09-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Looks good!
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Columbia , Tennessee
Hey Pete, looking good! What are you going to put down for flooring?

Was you able to clear out the drain hole in the front window track?

Spray the fuzzy seal with CRC Heavy Duty Silicone, that will keep the window sliding good.
1982 310 MoHo (Sold! New home, NYC.)
Many Years ago, 1972 Argosy 24' trailer
Toad, 2001 Chevy Tracker 4x4
cmadmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote