Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Finally, NO leaks!

I finally managed to find the time over the last week to remove all of the old Vulkem from half of the windows on our Classic 310 motorhome. I did the windows that appeared to be the causes of the leaks we've been experiencing in the back bedroom, over the door and above the dinette table. We had a pretty good rain storm this afternoon, a real gully gusher, and when Susan and I got home we were excited to find that no water was present inside, other than a couple of drops on the table. I think those came in through the sides of the windows since all of those gaskets are in bad shape. Replacing the gaskets is going to happen down the road when I have more time on my hands.

This was my first experience using Vulkem and I really like the way it flows as you're putting it on. Definitely worth the effort .

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
I finally managed to find the time over the last week to remove all of the old Vulkem from half of the windows on our Classic 310 motorhome. I did the windows that appeared to be the causes of the leaks we've been experiencing in the back bedroom, over the door and above the dinette table. We had a pretty good rain storm this afternoon, a real gully gusher, and when Susan and I got home we were excited to find that no water was present inside, other than a couple of drops on the table. I think those came in through the sides of the windows since all of those gaskets are in bad shape. Replacing the gaskets is going to happen down the road when I have more time on my hands.

This was my first experience using Vulkem and I really like the way it flows as you're putting it on. Definitely worth the effort .

Brad
We had to replace part of the sub floor in our MH due to leaks and water damage. Might be a good idea to check yours out and try to dry out any wet flooring (I know, pretty obvious).

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
We had to replace part of the sub floor in our MH due to leaks and water damage. Might be a good idea to check yours out and try to dry out any wet flooring (I know, pretty obvious).
Sometimes its not quite so obvious so your point is well taken. As near as I've been able to tell the leaks around the windows only started in the recent past. Definitely before we got the mh but not to long before. The worst leaks were from the A/C roof units and I think those manifested themselves during our drive back from Savannah GA to Arkansas. I believe they dried out while sitting for several years and then a cold February drive on rough roads did them in. I could find no real signs of prior damage from the A/C leaks. The rear windows were due to dried Vulkem along the tops of the windows. Again they didn't seem to leak long enough to damage anything.

However once we start pulling the carpet up and installing the wood flooring I'll know for sure about any hidden damage .

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 01-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Brad....just have that energetic wife do all the flooring removal...she has the energy.

Good job BTW.

Steve
Old 01-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Brad....just have that energetic wife do all the flooring removal...she has the energy.

Good job BTW.

Steve
Susan and I have an understanding. I do the rebuilding, repairing, fixing, etc and she does the polishing, waxing, cleaning, etc. So I'm the one that will be taking out the carpets and installing the new wood flooring. However, Susan is going to have to keep it clean, and with me around THAT is a tough job

We've also learned to divide our various other duties. I do the whining, whimpering and puling and she gets to b*tch, moan, gripe & complain. I'm not sure why she gets to do one more thing than I do but I guess thats life .

Thanks!

Brad
Old 01-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
I'm not sure why she gets to do one more thing than I do but I guess thats life .

Brad
Brad,

You are lucky you see it as she "Gets" to do one more thing. She may look at it that she "has" an extra chore.

Won't be hard to keep clean if you are in Pasadena ehh?

Steve
Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Brad,

You are lucky you see it as she "Gets" to do one more thing. She may look at it that she "has" an extra chore.
Ah, but Susan LOVES to work.......

Quote:
Won't be hard to keep clean if you are in Pasadena ehh?

Steve
Unfortunately thats true. On the bright side though its not forever and in the long run things will be a lot better for both of us.

Brad
Old 01-11-2008, 03:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Susan and I have an understanding. I do the rebuilding, repairing, fixing, etc and she does the polishing, waxing, cleaning, etc. So I'm the one that will be taking out the carpets and installing the new wood flooring. However, Susan is going to have to keep it clean, and with me around THAT is a tough job

We've also learned to divide our various other duties. I do the whining, whimpering and puling and she gets to b*tch, moan, gripe & complain. I'm not sure why she gets to do one more thing than I do but I guess thats life .

Thanks!

Brad
I nominate this as the "Post of the Month".

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyW
I nominate this as the "Post of the Month".
WOW! I've never been nominated for anything before .

Thanks!!!

Brad
Old 01-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Just riped all the carpet out of my 'Silver Bullet'.
I was one piece short of finishing installing the 'trafficMaster' allure (oak) plank floor. Just bought a new box to finish up. I put mine in east-west. If I hadn't miscut twice I would of had one plank left over. Now I'll have 15 spares planks. I'm going to caulk around the edges. Didn't find any bad sub-floor. Was going to coat the sub-floor first, but decided that chipboard had lasted 22 years, so if was good.
Couldn't believe the number of finishing nails the PO had driven through the carpet. Most of had some squicks.
Could not find a seam in the sub-floor either. Looked like it was one piece from front to back.
Now I'm working on a now cabinet for the TV. The two seats and the old TV cabinet are history.
I'd post a picture, but, can't figure that fucture out.
mel
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
OK Here goes (an Englishman asking a dumb question! ) What is Vulkem?

It sounds as if it is very liquid. I have started to seal, by the process of elimination, leaks in the bedroom. To do this I have dug out old sealer around the window frames, then using a very small wire brush clean the gap, and then reseal with clear silicone. (messy!)

Trouble is I know the silicone will eventually lift after a period of time.

it sounds as if the Vulkem will run easier into small gaps - is that so? and where would I get this (sent to the UK; - naturally)

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Chuck, the Vulkem is more of a caulk. I'm not sure of its consistency but I'm not sure if it truly flows. I bought a product from my local Airstream dealer called Parbond which is in a small tube with a screw on cap. This stuff flows and I've used it on some questionable seams on my trailer. Nothing leaking but it flows in and solidifies after drying.

The Hot Deal - Parbond Aluminum

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
You can also order Acryl-R from the Airstream Factory. It is very viscous and wicks into the seams of the trailers quite nicely.

Steve
Old 01-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles
OK Here goes (an Englishman asking a dumb question! ) What is Vulkem?

It sounds as if it is very liquid. I have started to seal, by the process of elimination, leaks in the bedroom. To do this I have dug out old sealer around the window frames, then using a very small wire brush clean the gap, and then reseal with clear silicone. (messy!)

Trouble is I know the silicone will eventually lift after a period of time.

it sounds as if the Vulkem will run easier into small gaps - is that so? and where would I get this (sent to the UK; - naturally)
As Steve mentioned Vulkem is a form of caulk, actually according to the tube I have its a construction sealant. I got it from Andy's RV. Quite pleased with its performance.

I'd strongly recommend getting a half dozen tubes from Andy and as soon as you can peel the silicone off and reseal with the vulkem. You'll be glad you did.

Do some searching on vulkem and you'll find the best ways to work with it.

Brad
Old 01-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
update on our safari leaks:

I ordered from Vintage 4 tubes of the 636 TremPro..worked like a dream..NO LEAKS!!!..and we did find the source of leak: the Camping World guy had left his 'knee imprints' on the panel near the ribs when he installed the a/c..
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I once thought I had all Bertha's leaks stopped, but i soon recovered from that delusion...
Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Brad...it was Jack who said it was like caulk and not me. I know you think I have all the answers, but I am not the go to guy on such things

Steve
Old 01-22-2008, 11:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
One can only dream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I once thought I had all Bertha's leaks stopped, but i soon recovered from that delusion...
Well, Terry, tell you what- I've got my fingers and toes crossed and have a couple of tarps permanently on hand in the safari, just in case!!
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear
Well, Terry, tell you what- I've got my fingers and toes crossed and have a couple of tarps permanently on hand in the safari, just in case!!
We had severe storms here last night, and I woke up to Lake Bertha in the kitchen...
Old 02-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Terry,
Assuming you have bailed out by now, have you had any luck with the leaks? I just finished seperating all my windows to remove the ancient film and are reinstalling, but all need reseal and gaskets. Did find that leks drastically decrease whe the bloody things are open one notch. That is due to water getting in through glass. With windows open it drips outside. I had used a GE ALuminum product on the shell and so far so good, but reckon I will get some Vulcrum for future use. Just was curious if you solved your water problem.

rob