Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #1
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
FB Marketplace Battery Post(s)

These ads have been popping up accompanied by pictures of pallet loads of the specified batteries. The sealed batteries show what appear to be new NorthStar & PowerSafe brand labels. They also show(& say) reconditioned golf cart batteries.

Brand new 1,000 amp 100ah group 24 marine deep cycle batteries $69
--------------------------------------------------
1,600 amp 190ah 12 volt sealed AGM batteries, perfect for solar off grid car audio or any power need $125
---------------------------------------------------
We have some excellent 1,300 amp 100ah 12 volt sealed AGM batteries. These are all fully charged, loaded and tested. These are ideal for off grid, solar panel set up, car audio, trolling, or any power need you have. This model has a 12+ year life span if well maintained. $85
---------------------------------------------------
Nuway Battery will be in Charlotte North Carolina May 18-19 at the Open Air Market. We will have every battery you need from AGM deep cycle for RV or solar off grid, 6 volt and 8 volt golf cart batteries, AGM for car audio, batteries for 18 wheelers, and all make and model vehicles.

Prices seem to good to be true (none have been more than $125), but since I have multiple needs for house batteries (2 RVs) & want to add solar panels as well, I can't not go check out what they have.

Any suggestions as to caveats, checks, etc? I believe I can borrow a handheld battery tester which can confirm the numbers.

As an uninformed, under-educated semi-literate, what batteries should I be putting in the battery box for storage/house batteries? 6 or 12V, deep cycle, CC amps, ah, ?? I'm not even sure what questions I need to be asking.
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
This article will answer all your questions: https://marinehowto.com/what-is-a-deep-cycle-battery/

After reading this article, I chose this battery recommended in the article: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durace...lp_product_1_5

I am extremely pleased with these Duracell EGC2 batteries. With 230AH, they can power your furnace all night or your fantastic fans day and night, and still provide all your other typical loads while boondocking. I've used them for about 140 nights with deep draw downs and they still test and perform as new. I would not hesitate to buy these batteries again. I would never buy a battery from a traveling vendor.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
This article will answer all your questions: https://marinehowto.com/what-is-a-deep-cycle-battery/
I'll re-read a couple of times & may begin to understand. The link provides a LOT of information (most of which I'm ALMOST able to comprehend).

The link should be a sticky on the Batteries portion of the forum.

Thanks so much.
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote