Old 06-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Pittsville , Maryland
Big block 502 for $25,000 that's like race car money . That cost had to be transmission , drive shaft , rear end up grades . Summitt has a 502 with 502 horsepower like $ 4,000 . How about that gas mileage , the cost was $ 90,000 for them to do that restore , man what I could with half of that .

P.S. the show was a waste of time , wish they had a show on just AS motorhome like orange county chopper

Old 06-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #16
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I'll just wait and see it my 489 cid works out. Couple more trips and she'll be broke in. Then look out... May just be that the drag srtip. do have wheelie bars on the 34.5:<)

Old 06-29-2014, 12:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Berg View Post
Big block 502 for $25,000 that's like race car money . That cost had to be transmission , drive shaft , rear end up grades . Summitt has a 502 with 502 horsepower like $ 4,000 . How about that gas mileage , the cost was $ 90,000 for them to do that restore , man what I could with half of that .

P.S. the show was a waste of time , wish they had a show on just AS motorhome like orange county chopper

Is anyone besides me getting really tired of these Mega RV shows that feature nothing more than multi-million dollar coaches?

Let's face it, the folks who can swing that kind of $ aren't watching shows like this.

I'm like others, why don't they do a show that features everyday restorations of Vintage motorhomes. Doesn't have to be all Airstream. There were some great old motorhomes from the 70's and 80's. FMC and Travco are two that come to mind.

I tried watching that show I posted about all the way through, seems they spent more time on the other featured RV's than the Airstream. But I'll be honest, mid-20's for a new engine? I can't even justify a diesel swap, much less than $90,000 for a total restoration.

These shows are getting too much like the Kardashian's. Lotsa 'flash' and no reality.

What was the British guys show that ended with "Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams"? Seems that's all the shows now want to feature. I know the best way to see them cancelled, it's the off switch, lol.

JMO, Derek
Old 06-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I'm with you crazeevw - I know everything's relative and I'm sure some tent campers shake their heads at 5-figure tin cans with AC, bathroom and beds. But one of those shows had a Moho with a paint job that alone could have bought my trailer several times over. That can't be fun when you see low, leafy branches at your campsite, or see the same dirt we all track in our campers from our sites - or pump the same stuff from your $1M tanks :-)

Like I said - it's all relative. But I'm not a fan of those shows for that reason. I watched when the Airstream was going to be on - but it ended up being some "hotel" site of sorts.

Oh well.