Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
Exterior paint

I've been working on polishing the exterior. I won't go into details about what I'm using except to say it makes a visible difference for now. Obviously at some point the clearcoat has to come off and then a decision made. At 35 feet, I don't think a mirror shine is a real option for the long run.

Anyway, the WORST feature of the unit at the moment is the deteriorating gray paint around the bottom. I think if that were taken care of, the rest, polished up for the moment, would look OK.

My question: (since I'm not able to do this myself), where do I go to get it removed and repainted, and about how much would that cost? I'm in the wilderness right now and trying to make plans for getting in and out of civilization as quickly as possible, so booking dates for the stuff. There are also cracks in the rear... fiberglass I guess?

I'm dealing with the sticky ceiling syndrome and that is almost done... well, until I looked inside a cabinet and realized the walls were sticky there too. I'm getting real sunburned on polishing. PO had removed vinyl stripe, so that is mirror finish now and that helps.

Ramblin....
gowiththeflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowiththeflo View Post
I'm dealing with the sticky ceiling syndrome and that is almost done... well, until I looked inside a cabinet and realized the walls were sticky there too. I'm getting real sunburned on polishing. PO had removed vinyl stripe, so that is mirror finish now and that helps.

Ramblin....
Ramblin,

What are you doing to get rid of the sticky feeling? Our motorhome has the same issue.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
Sticky ceiling

Found the solution here on the Board.

Krud Kutter. Spray on, leave for a few minutes, then rinse, rinse, rinse. You may need to do a second application.

Let it thoroughly dry though before you decide. It still feels sticky while wet.

Then you need to follow up with wax... Future wax I believe (do a search). That keeps it from coming back.

It's really great to get rid of that flypaper feel!
gowiththeflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowiththeflo View Post
Found the solution here on the Board.

Krud Kutter. Spray on, leave for a few minutes, then rinse, rinse, rinse. You may need to do a second application.

Let it thoroughly dry though before you decide. It still feels sticky while wet.

Then you need to follow up with wax... Future wax I believe (do a search). That keeps it from coming back.

It's really great to get rid of that flypaper feel!
Thanks for the info. Now to find someplace local that sells Krud Kutter. Interesting name!

Thanks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote