Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Venice , California
Entire Y assembly and dump valves FELL OFF!

1982 Airstream 280 Classic Motorhome, btw...

Yoikes! What a mess. Apparently, while driving, the entire assembly--everything from the holding tanks outward--fell off the RV. Fortunately, i didn't have to empty the tanks...

So now that I've cleaned up the mess, I have to replace the valves and all the plumbing that forms the assembly. Installing it is easy--it just attaches to the tanks with hose clamps. But where do I procure the entire assembly? Can it be bought as one unit with the valves? Or do I have to create it from multiple pieces of plumbing?

Tips would be most appreciated!!

/Dale
dalefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Dale, do you know if your motor home has Valterra or Thetford fittings?
All the bits and pieces will have to be gotten separately, it just depends on what you have, as to where you can get it.
If Valterra, you can get most everything from a combination of your hardware store (for the pvc pipes) and almost any RV supply store for the valves and fittings.
Thetford is another box of bananas, and will require more specific places.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Venice , California
At this point, I have neither Valterra NOR Thetford! Literally everything fell off, so I can put on whatever system I want. I tried going to Home Depot, but couldn't find what I needed. I suppose I should just buy the two valves first and then add on the other pieces, as necessary. Of course, I'd much rather purchase an entire assembly, if there is one...
dalefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
You'll definately need to go to an RV specific retailer. HD does not have many of the RV specific parts that RV's need.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
So it begs the question.... how did this happen?

Are you sure you unhooked the hose at the last dump site?

Do you still have the hose?

As we get older we tend to forget things in progress.... you might find all you need back at the last dump site... but then again you might not want to go back for fear of ridicule. You'll get enough of that here.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
At this point, Dale has emailed me photos of his absent valve assemblies, and I'm trying to piece together the stuff that will allow him to, umm, address his motor home's incontinence problem...
Old 10-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Maybe these will help. I can send them as a e-mail attatchment if you can't read them. Just PM me with your address.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	70122   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	70123  

Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0003.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	70124  

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
Maybe these will help. I can send them as a e-mail attatchment if you can't read them. Just PM me with your address.
Hmm, those don't look like what he has. Airstream's photos are less than helpful, so we're assembling the stuff based on the way it looks like it should go. I'm going to take apicture of that, and send it to him, and see if it looks like it will work. Right now, I have a monument to Thetford sitting on my desk...