Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Elkmont , Alabama
Engine Swap

The engine let go in my 82 280. It lost oil pressure in the driveway. I bought a remanufactured, 4 bolt, crate engine. I'm hiring someone to do it. I'm doing all accessories etc while he's in there.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.
deltatango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
DT, good luck with your swap. While you've got all of it out clean it up.... frame, suspension, etc.

Rad is out so have it checked and perhaps rodded out.

As cooling is king! Heat is the enemy. This is the time to also think about adding tranny cooler and looking at how the engine is cooled as well as trying to stuff as much cold air into the engine while running. Adding headers would also help to take heat away from the engine and improve performance and economy.

Photos of the process would be nice if you visit often.

BTW how many miles did the engine have on it?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
What about a turbo, or better yet a super charger....

Sorry, it's the (Tim the tool man Taylor) in me

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
"Contact!"

1981 28' Airstream 280
Pierre , South Dakota
Did you consider a 502? Just working out the thought for my own rig.
propstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Elkmont , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen ronin View Post
Did you consider a 502? Just working out the thought for my own rig.
Yeah I did. I just put back what was in it. I saw a 502 on Ebay with the FI but it had a lot of miles. The 502 doesn't have the hole for the mechanical fuel pump. I guess you could go with electrical fuel pump of drill out for mechanical. The 502 is a good engine though.

I'll post some pix when they get started.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Elkmont , Alabama
Headers/Heat/Ignition Wires

I got the swap done. It runs great. I did a new carb, headers, duals, and aluminum intake.

I had it out at the RV place and the guy said that I shouldn't have put the headers on. He said that they make so much heat that it melts the wires. He said I needed these wire protectors etc.

Anyone heard of this before?
Old 02-16-2009, 04:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatango View Post
I got the swap done. It runs great. I did a new carb, headers, duals, and aluminum intake.

I had it out at the RV place and the guy said that I shouldn't have put the headers on. He said that they make so much heat that it melts the wires. He said I needed these wire protectors etc.

That guy is clueless. Installing headers gets rid of the heat in the cockpit area. The cast iron manifolds are heat sinks which retain the heat causing higher cockpit temperatures. I've had motorhomes with cast iron manifolds and they were definitely hotter in the cockpit area than our Airstream motorhome that has headers. No way would I go back to cast iron manifolds.

Can't say either way about the wires, just get some good ones and make sure they are routed properly to keep them away from the headers.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatango View Post

I've had lots of troubles with burnt wires on headers I've used in hotrods, and had to use the protectors, and even then with some headers, the wires burnt anyway. I will say, it does depend on the headers, the wires, and how you run the wires.

Although Brad is right about the manifolds being heat sinks, the headers actually get hotter on the surface than the manifolds because they are much thinner. At night, at operating temperature, they will glow cherry red.

There is a heat wrap available from the hotrod shops that helps insulate the headers and they actually claim a HP increase with it's use, but I have no experience with it.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I've had lots of troubles with burnt wires on headers I've used in hotrods, and had to use the protectors, and even then with some headers, the wires burnt anyway. I will say, it does depend on the headers, the wires, and how you run the wires.

Although Brad is right about the manifolds being heat sinks, the headers actually get hotter on the surface than the manifolds because they are much thinner. At night, at operating temperature, they will glow cherry red.

There is a heat wrap available from the hotrod shops that helps insulate the headers and they actually claim a HP increase with it's use, but I have no experience with it.
Steve, I agree the headers do get hotter. However there is less mass to act as a heat sink which is why I believe the cockpit stays cooler.

Pesonally I've never understood why manifacturers use cast iron manifolds on production engines. I can't believe its that much cheaper to make a cast iron manifold compared to a header. I guess a few pennies here and there during the manufacture of a vehicle does add up.

I've heard some people say when using the header tape that the headers deteriorate faster due to the retention of heat although I have no experience of using tape myself.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 02-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Steve, I agree the headers do get hotter. However there is less mass to act as a heat sink which is why I believe the cockpit stays cooler.

Pesonally I've never understood why manifacturers use cast iron manifolds on production engines. I can't believe its that much cheaper to make a cast iron manifold compared to a header. I guess a few pennies here and there during the manufacture of a vehicle does add up.

I've heard some people say when using the header tape that the headers deteriorate faster due to the retention of heat although I have no experience of using tape myself.

Brad
Brad, I believe the manufacturers like to use manifolds because headers are noiser, have a tendency to blow gaskets because they are not as ridgid at the flanges, and also tend to burn out/rust out much faster than cast iron manifolds.

However, my wife has a Ford Escape with the little 4 cylinder engine, and it has a header on it, so they do know the headers give better performance.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Brad, I believe the manufacturers like to use manifolds because headers are noiser, have a tendency to blow gaskets because they are not as ridgid at the flanges, and also tend to burn out/rust out much faster than cast iron manifolds.

However, my wife has a Ford Escape with the little 4 cylinder engine, and it has a header on it, so they do know the headers give better performance.
Good point about the gaskets. The odd thing about noise though is in our 310 I believe the noise is lower with headers than it would be with cast iron manifolds. Our previous SOB motorhome was definitely a lot noiser in the engine compartment and it had cast iron manifolds.

Brad