Old 12-09-2018, 07:34 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Engine oil

hey.
In my engine rebuild adventure, I've learned that the oil we have now, is not the same as the old days. My engine rebuilder says I must add a zinc additive or I will take out the cam. Am he added that the present day oils don't have most of the additives the old oil had. So every time I change oil , i must put a zinc additive in. You can buy this stuff at any parts store, but very few of these stores will have oil that has zińc and moly in the oil. My guy says Kendall racing oil is one that has it. We used to be able to buy diesel oil, like Rotella. But it also has been removed from these oils. Even oil such as Royal purple doesn't t have it. And I also found out that filters are different now. I used Fram forever. Turns out, that they have an internal flaw. They can collapse. recommended filters are Mobil 1,K&N, purolator, so, oil changes just got a little more involved. DJ

davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Get a second opinion on the oil and filter.
I have used Fram filters for 50+ years. Never had a problem.
I have had multiple engines in different trucks with 300K miles. Rarely was there a need to add oil between changes.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If he offers a rebuild warranty, do as he requests. He should know where to get the additive. Keep receipts, copy and send to him =) I do Oil sampling which provides a proof of oil analysis and mileage.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey,
I totally agree with you, regarding Fram filters. I've never had any trouble with them. But apparently, they have changed their mfging prossess.
If you find someone who will build you a 454 for 1800.00 bucks? Run away. My block got boiled, new cam bearings, new brass freeze plugs. Since this motor only has 5400 miles on it, I did not get it decked,line bored.
The crank needed to be ground. .010 on the mains, .030 on the rod mains. I did not have balanced or the rods turned.
The heads were in great shape. I ported and polished them. Guides were perfect, only a valve job was needed. No valves. New Comp cam and lifters,and edelbrock performer dual plane intake, new oil pump, and a single piece fel pro oil pan gasket. Hastings stock iron rings, and I'm all set to assemble it. Expect to pay a minimum of 3500.00 if your getting yours rebuilt .because this motor is so low mileage, and the damage was to the bearings, everything else was replaced because I had it apart. If I had 50k or more this engine, everything would have been done. The machine shop labor would have been 2500.
So please don't think you can get a rebuild on your engine for cheap. A good rebuild will run you at least 3500. That is if you remove and install engine yourself. Tack on another 1000 if someone does it for you. Your still getting off cheap at 4500. I'm so glad my dad taught me this stuff. Dads are great...DJ
Old 12-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #5
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Does the rebuild include a new cam or the old cam?

Is there a difference in the metal used in old cam vs today’s cam?

Not an engine builder just my own repair center knuckle buster and bill payer.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I'm not going to get into an arguement about what oil filter is good and which are bad, but would like to add Wix, certain A/C Delco filters and Mann filters to your list.

IMHO, be very wary of oil filters that claim to remove particles down to sub microns, as these filters are fine for engines that are finely tuned modern engines running 0 weight oils. Older engines of the ilk that run our beasts could very easily plug up these micro fine filters, forcing the oil to bypass the filter very early in the filters life, allowing contaminates to circulate around your engine.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey,
I forgot about Wix filters. They are very good.
As for cams? If you go roller lifters that cam is harder. A flat tappet cam such as our older 454 s have will be softer. That is why it's imperative to have a very good lube with moly in it. 1st time start up, is where you can wipe out a lobe in very short order. I thought about a roller cam, but to much dinking around for the payback. You gotta get new pushrods. They suggest roller rockers, New valve covers, the plus is longevity . I'm not worried about that. This thing is never going to see 4000 rpm, so I'm not worried. DJ
Old 12-09-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Zinc has been reduced in oil, but not totally removed.

I use Rotella in my 460 and Jeep with flat tappers.

Been using Fram filters for over 30 years with no worries.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
When building my 86 22re, there is much debate about zinc, but the general recommendation by the guys that built hundreds of them is use a break in oil with zinc, then switch to plain and simple dinosaur oil

I use either OEM or wix replacement for filters

Just my $.02
Old 12-10-2018, 08:10 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Milford , New Hampshire
Check out oil for older engines sold by Hemmings Motors, pricey but may be what you need.
NHdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #11
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
When building my 86 22re, there is much debate about zinc, but the general recommendation by the guys that built hundreds of them is use a break in oil with zinc, then switch to plain and simple dinosaur oil

I use either OEM or wix replacement for filters

Just my $.02
I have a 22RE vehicle I bought new. It has gotten along fine on Pennzoil dino for 25 years.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Just to add my .03 cents into the pot since it is stirring.....I use only Mobil 1 in everything I own plus factory filters.....no exceptions.......just my 3 cents worth.....had to one up you there. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Engine Rebuild

I am an old school drag racer. I used to do rebuilds on all my cars that I raced. Way easier and less expensive in the long haul is to just contact Jasper Engines and order a Remanufactured engine from them. Great company, warranty and reputation. They even have a program to Reman your engine if you want to have a numbers matching engine. Tell them what you are looking to achieve and they will be happy to help. I have used them 3 times with success. Easy, easy, easy.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
Just to add my .03 cents into the pot since it is stirring.....I use only Mobil 1 in everything I own plus factory filters.....no exceptions.......just my 3 cents worth.....had to one up you there. Regards, Bob
Congrats, you 0.01-upped me

Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote