Old 03-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
I think you could use a laser temp probe to read the temp of the radiator at many points on the radiator core to determine if there are cool spots or hot spots. That could show where water is not flowing and whether the radiator needs rodded out or new core soldered in. I pulled my radiator out and had it cleaned and rodded and soldered to fix a small leak. It was a bit of a bear to remove so I replaced the water pump and all the hoses plus belts because I wouldn't want to do this again anytime soon. I seem to only get a year out of a fan clutch and I can't figure out why. I tried a four season clutch from napa and another one from autozone. This year I bought a ac/delco so we will see. I would like to pull the fan and check its balance but it looks like it won't come out unless I remove the shroud and I ain't pulling the grill again to do that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4218611763.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	526.5 KB
ID:	208234

Old 03-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Thanks for the good suggestion of using the lazer temp probe the evaluate the function of the radiator, I'll do that once I get back to Az.and the motorhome.

Very good thinking to replace all of those expendables while in there!
What were the challenges in getting the grill et all removed for access?
No immediate plans, just for future reference

Old 03-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Thanks for the good suggestion of using the lazer temp probe the evaluate the function of the radiator, I'll do that once I get back to Az.and the motorhome.

Very good thinking to replace all of those expendables while in there!
What were the challenges in getting the grill et all removed for access?
No immediate plans, just for future reference
Old 03-26-2014, 09:25 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Laurel , Maryland
The grill is only held on with 6 bolts each side. 2 of them are hard to get to. The bumper needs to come off as well but it is only held on with 4 Philips head screws. My Moho has a lower spoiler made of some kind of plastic and is riveted on. It does not need to come off if you have someone to hp you lifting the radiator out. I didn't so I drilled out the rivets to avoid damaging it while removing the radiator. It was along weekend project for me but I could do it fAster if I ever have to do it again. Good luck and take lots of pictures to aid getting it all back together. If would like to see more pictures of my project let me know.