Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Electric Horn wiring diagram on a 345

I think I have see some visiting about tracing the Horn wires from the steering wheel button down the column and then picking them up under the dash before they go to the roof.

I can not find the Post nor the information concerning tracing these wires below the dash.

One of my electric roof horns did not work and the coach was at Bill Dobson of Creston RV for some service work.
He twisted my arm and Installed a set of Hadley air horns and powered them through a push button switch on the door panel switch plate next to the seat adjustment switches as we discussed.

for a backup electric horn. He mounted a new electric behind the grill and we would like to power this electric horn from the original wiring and S.W. Horn Button.

thank you for guiding me to a thread with this information or for helping us out.

John
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
these links came up on a search:
Google Custom Search
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Thank you rich, I found this from a Poster
quote, 74 Argosy, There is a flat harness coming out of the column, the wires are all bonded side by side and go into a connector, it could be flat or semi rounded. This is for the horn, blinkers, etc. that run off the column. It has to be there if your blinkers are working. The horn wire isn't necessarily green, when you find the connector go by the location, my wire is black.

Have you tried the horn to be sure it is working? They don't last too long. I would run a jumper from a good 12v to the horn before I started on the dash, a lot less work.

Service manuals are good to have. Did they give you a place to get one? I am not sure how long they print (or stock) them.

John
Old 01-28-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote, from previous post

The colors on this chart probably won't match yours (my horn wire is black) but the locations are right. Horns draw a lot of power and are operated off a relay. Power feeds to the coil and points of the relay and the button grounds the coil. The relay will be under the dash hanging from the harness.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
I plan on snaking down a hose to the dash air gauge (T-ing). I will use the current wiring to operate the solenoid on the horn itself. I hate the sound of the small air/electric horns that have a weak wind-up and bad tune.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	353.0 KB
ID:	121135  
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Air Horn

John:
You might be better to locate the solenoid closer to the air supply at dash switch?
That way you don't have a continuous pressured line running any distance that could fail and leave you on the side of the road.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
John:
You might be better to locate the solenoid closer to the air supply at dash switch?
That way you don't have a continuous pressured line running any distance that could fail and leave you on the side of the road.
Dave
yes, the new Hadley s have a separate switch Button.

I just want the second option of an electric horn activated by the Original horn button on the S.W.

quote from original post
One of my electric roof horns did not work and the coach was at Bill Dobson of Creston RV for some service work.
He twisted my arm and Installed a set of Hadley air horns and powered them through a push button switch on the door panel switch plate next to the seat adjustment switches as we discussed.

for a backup electric horn. He mounted a new electric behind the grill and we would like to power this electric horn from the original wiring and S.W. Horn Button.

thank you for guiding me to a thread with this information or for helping us out.

John
Old 02-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
"John:
Dave"

Thanks that was my plan to put a small valve at the T by the dash but have the air pressure at the horns so that there is not that bad sound of an organ with no pressure.
I hope I can snake the air line around that plastic space above the driver.
thanks again for your advice.
Josh
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sunshinecity , Horgau
A wiring plan or description where the cables run from the roof down to where they have their endings, would be the best help here....
Thanks
310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
The horn wiring for the electric roof horns runs down the left side pillar (rear of the sliding window, then runs forward under the sliding/fixed window, it then terminates around the master cylinder area. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:52 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sunshinecity , Horgau
Thanks Bob,
There are no cables at the master cylinder area found.....
I just have found the wires, they run under the windows, are ending through firewall on a ground point.
So where do the horn wires end? Normally a relay is needed. I also have found a brown plug with an orange and white cable. That was hanging loose behind the fuse block in dash.

I will post some pics....
Old 11-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Sunshinecity , Horgau
I already get the horns working now!
Just the green cable at the horn relay was broken.
WOW what awesome loud horns now!

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-01-2019, 05:42 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Quote, from previous post

The colors on this chart probably won't match yours (my horn wire is black) but the locations are right. Horns draw a lot of power and are operated off a relay. Power feeds to the coil and points of the relay and the button grounds the coil. The relay will be under the dash hanging from the harness.

John
Attached Thumbnails

John,
Any chance you still have the wiring diagram/chart mentioned here? It is for the harness at the steering column. I’m trying to identify right/left and reverse triggers for backup camera system.
Thanks
Kyle
Kvsterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvsterling View Post
John,
Any chance you still have the wiring diagram/chart mentioned here? It is for the harness at the steering column. I’m trying to identify right/left and reverse triggers for backup camera system.
Thanks
Kyle
Hey Kyle,
Are you absolutely sure that's how you want to trigger your camera? I ask only because I triggered mine off an ignition wire so it stays on whenever the key is turned on. I personally find the cameras very helpful when driving in multi-lane traffic. I installed a side camera also on the passenger side for blind spot coverage. Just an idea. I use the cameras a great deal in traffic.

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Hey Kyle,

Are you absolutely sure that's how you want to trigger your camera? I ask only because I triggered mine off an ignition wire so it stays on whenever the key is turned on. I personally find the cameras very helpful when driving in multi-lane traffic. I installed a side camera also on the passenger side for blind spot coverage. Just an idea. I use the cameras a great deal in traffic.

Mike

Howdy Mike
I am thinking about the reverse camera being on with ignition power and then side cameras (left and right) triggered with turn signal (before the flasher relay)
Old 07-02-2019, 05:56 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
So I confirmed with RVS that this function is possible if connected correctly. I imagine using the system while driving like you do mike. Rear view on with ignition. I’m still trying to identify which wires are left/right turn indicators before the flasher. This is for 1984 270 MH (p30 chassis). I have chassis manual, but I couldn’t find this wire harness diagram
Old 07-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Here is another option to consider Kyle. I have an RVS system also with backup and one side camera. I wired the trigger wires to a SPDT switch that I located in the wall next to the drivers seat. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is an "on-on" switch. Push it forward and it triggers the side camera, push it back and it's the rear camera. This way I can monitor traffic either way, passenger side lane or rear view. I can keep an eye out for what's next to me or behind me when anticipating a lane change or whatever. Ive liked the setup a lot so far. There is a picture of the installed switch in my thread somewhere but I couldn't find it.
The camera is on whenever I start the rig.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:46 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I have driven a couple modern vehicles with a system that monitors blind spots during turn signal activation and really liked them. The RVS system I have has rear and left/right cameras. I was able to access the left/right triggers needed at the steering column harness. By not connecting the rear camera trigger, the system goes back to rear view for driving when not activating the side triggers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1429.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	345688Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1431.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	345689

This is the function I was hoping for. Still a while til I have her on the road, but for now the dashboard phase is wrapping up. It included:

Rear view camera/blind spot monitor system with monitor install in dash, relocate stereo, Programmable electronic speedometer, tach (mine were aftermarket and broken), return 2 gauges to original location (still have 2 originals missing), replace speakers and run new wires, amp, reconnect several ground wires, dash lights, and remove a bunch of junk previous owners mucked around with.

Will post pics with final product this afternoon🤞🤞🤞