Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Doing the maths = disappointment

I'm a big fan for having a plan B, a spare, back up; from cars to motorbikes and everything but my wife, I have always felt better having a Plan B.

The Airstream has been no different. I allways have one good eye cocked on KIJIJI (our version of Craigslist) for anything remotely to do with Isuzu/Allison/Airstream/Keeler, you get the drift. I need a Plan B for the motor tranny in my 310, so you'll forgive the excitement I felt when I came across this ad.........

Isuzu 6HK1-TC ENGINE | parts, accessories | Hamilton | Kijiji

Pre 2007, so unencumbered with all the emission crap that post 2007 diesels have; motor has low use, less than 60,000 miles and for a reasonable price, especially if I could swing the Allison tranny with it. If the motor and transmission comes with the vehicle, all the better.

The problem is with the maths. The 6H1K-TC motor is 52.36" long, 34.66" wide and 43.5" high compared to the 6BD1 at 44.1" long, 25.5" wide and 30.5" tall. Now I don't know how much of these dimensions have the ancillary stuff tacked on that could be moved somewhere else, like the intercooler. Is the intercooler included in the engine length I wonder, or is the turbo right on top of the motor which would add to the height? Turbo's can be moved, not easily but it can be done.

I would love 300hp in my 310 but the oil changes would be deadly....33 litres.

I still think I might look at it.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Looks awful big! You might be trying to stuff 50 lbs of taters in a 30lb sack! Look into a Cummins 6.7.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Tony, I wouldn't be surprised if the two engines are actually closer in length. Like you said the ancillary stuff could be the issue.

By all means go look at the truck and take some measurements. At a minimum you would be able to eliminate a certain type of engine but at the same time you may just find that it will fit
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
It would probably cheaper to just buy one factory built, I am in the process of putting a 59AB flathead in a model A ford it is getting expensive and time consuming ,but I like doing it....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote