Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
I am doing mine this weekend ! I ordered the material from a marine supply center!

1 inch of foam, heat shield foil on one side with the lead based quarter inch material
under the foil, plus tape recommended and some Sticker units. I have enough to also do the generator compartment and maybe some Under the floor areas if needed sometime ???

$150. or so for all with 3M spray glue ! Now I do need a new seal for around the engine compartment !!!
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
I'm still working on the heater core project and AC. When I'm done with that, I'll "top it off" with the doghouse lining. BTW, I got Dynamat and regular weatherstripping from Lowes just to be ready when the time comes.
Show us pics of your work guys!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Friend used this on his Hot Rod worked great....

Dynamat 11905 - Dynamic Controls The Hoodliner Thermo Acoustic Hood Liners - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Old 12-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Great site

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Hello Robert, Your web site also shows the remote, dual oil filters I want to install, and also the starter wrap !!! Good site ! Thank You
Old 12-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Your welcome John....

That be why we all here....

BTW....like your avitar
Old 12-06-2009, 06:23 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodokk View Post
I'm still working on the heater core project and AC. When I'm done with that, I'll "top it off" with the doghouse lining. BTW, I got Dynamat and regular weatherstripping from Lowes just to be ready when the time comes.
Show us pics of your work guys!
I was re-reading this thread and Astrodokk hits it right square on the head. Don't over think this project guys. Go to your home improvement store and you'll find all you need.

I used solid foam insulation backed with foil. I used 3M adhesive and sealed all the joints with aluminum foil duct tape. That was 3 years ago.

The result was a tight, cool, quiet change for not very much cash out of pocket.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
I agree with You Glen, this is the material I used and it is very similar to what the factory used in the late 80's only with the 1 inch foam. when we built our last Houseboat in 2000 this is what we lined the engine and generator compartment with. You can sit in our living room and not feel NOR hear the 15 KW Westerbeke Generator running so I knew it would work. We also do not winterize our engines because of the insulation properties and on Lake Cumberland the water seldom goes below 44 to 46 degrees.
Most of the Houseboat Manufacturers in the Somerset, Monticello area Use this type of material, at various thicknesses for a Home like feeling on the water even as the generator may run day in and day out while on the Lake. Reduces Vibration, Sound and helps to create a solid feeling, All the binifits we also want in our Couch as we travel down the Highway

Shopping Cart

0 Products $0.00

Search

Soundproofing > Engine room Marine Soundproofing Generator > Engine Room Vinyl/Foam Soundproofing

You may also like...

2 in. Soundproofing Tape
$46.11
$33.95

Bostik contact Adhesive
$19.95
$16.80

Engine room Insulation Barrier 1/2" x 54 in X 72 in. 2 Lb.
$310.95
$237.30

Insulation Barrier Soundproofing 1.5 in. X 54 in. X 96 in. 1 Lb.
$231.95
$195.12

Stainless Steel Pin 2 in. Complete set
$2.35
$2.15

Marine engine soundproofing Insulation Barrier 1 in. 54 in X 96 in. 1 Lb.

SKU IVF1010MN36

Marine boat compartment boat Insulation barrier Vinyl/Foam enclosure composite insulation barrier is an effective treatment for airborne noise that radiates from the marine boat engine room, and other machinery. The standard marine composite consists of a layer of mass loaded vinyl sandwiched Between two layers of polyether fire retardant foam covered by a thin attractive vapor barrier facing. The composite is designed and manufactured specifically for attenuation of sounds from machines such as boat engine, generator compartment, pumps, and other marine equipment, which may have significant bass and mid-range frequency components. Our construction centers the acoustic vinyl between equal thickness of Foam, front and back. This configuration optimizes the mid and bass frequency sound isolation in comparison to other materials with only thin foam layer on the back-side; solely optimized for "tinier" high-frequency noise.

Place pins 20" on center. The products listed to your left are needed to complete insulation, read printable instructions.

Engine soundproofing Primary uses are gas engines and other applications, for diesel engine choose 2 lb per sq ft.

Printable instructions

List Price $240.95 Your Price $168.50 You Save $72.45 Quantity

Customer Reviews

Average Rating
I have to compliment you on your knowledge of your product and engine rooms. I never thought I’d be able to achieve 95% reduction in sound. Excellent product and service, price also. I’ve recommended your site to several of my friends. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for the excellent follow-up on the sale in making sure I had everything I needed and explaining the installation procedures.

© Cyber Bridge Marine, Inc. 2003-2009
Old 12-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
I agree with You Glen, this is the material I used and it is very similar to what the factory used in the late 80's only with the 1 inch foam. when we built our last Houseboat in 2000 this is what we lined the engine and generator compartment with. You can sit in our living room and not feel NOR hear the 15 KW Westerbeke Generator running so I knew it would work. We also do not winterize our engines because of the insulation properties and on Lake Cumberland the water seldom goes below 44 to 46 degrees.
Most of the Houseboat Manufacturers in the Somerset, Monticello area Use this type of material, at various thicknesses for a Home like feeling on the water even as the generator may run day in and day out while on the Lake. Reduces Vibration, Sound and helps to create a solid feeling, All the benefits we also want in our Couch as we travel down the road

Soundproofing > Engine room Marine Soundproofing Generator > Engine Room Vinyl/Foam Soundproofing

You may also like...

2 in. Soundproofing Tape
$46.11
$33.95

Bostik contact Adhesive
$19.95
$16.80

Engine room Insulation Barrier 1/2" x 54 in X 72 in. 2 Lb.
$310.95
$237.30

Insulation Barrier Soundproofing 1.5 in. X 54 in. X 96 in. 1 Lb.
$231.95
$195.12

Stainless Steel Pin 2 in. Complete set
$2.35
$2.15

Marine engine soundproofing Insulation Barrier 1 in. 54 in X 96 in. 1 Lb.

SKU IVF1010MN36

Marine boat compartment boat Insulation barrier Vinyl/Foam enclosure composite insulation barrier is an effective treatment for airborne noise that radiates from the marine boat engine room, and other machinery. The standard marine composite consists of a layer of mass loaded vinyl sandwiched Between two layers of polyether fire retardant foam covered by a thin attractive vapor barrier facing. The composite is designed and manufactured specifically for attenuation of sounds from machines such as boat engine, generator compartment, pumps, and other marine equipment, which may have significant bass and mid-range frequency components. Our construction centers the acoustic vinyl between equal thickness of Foam, front and back. This configuration optimizes the mid and bass frequency sound isolation in comparison to other materials with only thin foam layer on the back-side; solely optimized for "tinier" high-frequency noise.

Place pins 20" on center. The products listed to your left are needed to complete insulation, read printable instructions.

Engine soundproofing Primary uses are gas engines and other applications, for diesel engine choose 2 lb per sq ft.

Printable instructions

List Price $240.95 Your Price $168.50 You Save $72.45 Quantity

Customer Reviews

Average Rating
I have to compliment you on your knowledge of your product and engine rooms. I never thought I’d be able to achieve 95% reduction in sound. Excellent product and service, price also. I’ve recommended your site to several of my friends. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for the excellent follow-up on the sale in making sure I had everything I needed and explaining the installation procedures.

© Cyber Bridge Marine, Inc. 2003-2009
Old 12-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Well, I finally finished it!

Well, well. After all this time, I completed the dog house insulation! This is the final look of the dog house interior.
I used double sided foil with 3M 77 adhesive spray and HVAC sealing tape.
Now on to other little projects. I'll be fixing as needed, so that I can enjoy the rig as much as I can instead of working on it all the time. It doesn't look great, but she sure runs well!