Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Diesel with propane boost?

My mechanic, who stays on the leading edge, was telling me about a kit with a switch that could cut-in a hotter burning propane to climb those grades. Anyone running such a outfit?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
you can find out about that on diesel fruck fourms
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
My mechanic, who stays on the leading edge, was telling me about a kit with a switch that could cut-in a hotter burning propane to climb those grades. Anyone running such a outfit?
I work in refining and had never heard of this but was intrigued. The best article I can find that has a semi-technical explanation is this one.

I'd bet that this has a significantly different effect on performance, fuel economy, and emissions on large semi-trucks with huge, often older diesel engines. A newer turbo diesel performance car or new model diesel pickup will likely not see even 10% of the effects that would otherwise occur.

My biggest concern would be adding a propane tank in your pickup bed. Contrary to popular belief, your gasoline or diesel tank are not a giant fireball waiting to happen upon collision with any other vehicle or with a bullet. On the other hand, a propane tank in your bed is like putting a stick of dynamite behind your seat and hoping no one hits you awkwardly or flips you over. It already scares me that there are two of them on the tongue of the trailer...

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Opelika , Alabama
we used to do that for tractor pulls. the biggest plus was the giant flame that shoots out of the exhaust stack, which would be quite impressive on the interstate. here's a scenario for you, say some stupid young cop decides to give you a ticket for small mirrors or some other bs revenue-generating crap. you hit the gas bottle and scorch off the paint on the front of the squad car and make your getaway in the confusion. you can shoot other stuff in there as well, also with interesting side effects and alternative uses, like nox. go ahead, be creative. if i had a diesel, i would. oh, it also used to cook the paint off the hood over the turbo, that was impressive too. at night the hood would glow cherry-red over the turbo.
bobnmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Ouch - maybe not...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Thanks Peter,

That was a pretty interesting article, and I've already got a big tank of propane hanging right behind my front wheel. Hmmm.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
And.....I'm certain this will do nothing to your truck warranty?????