Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Roseburg , Oregon
Smile diesel pusher less than 36 feet?

I just read that they must be over 36 feet long to have adequate wheelbase with this configuration. Any thoughts on this?
thanks!
Rachel
rachel kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
waynesboro , Virginia
What exactly are you mentioning must be over 36' feet?? A rear seated diesel engine?? or any moho with a diesel engine?? or just AS's.. cause airstream has made some 28' turbo's and 34's as well. Other manufacturers have made smaller than 36' diesels as well.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel kings
I just read that they must be over 36 feet long to have adequate wheelbase with this configuration. Any thoughts on this?
thanks!
Rachel
NOT TRUE!!!!

I have seen and worked on 32' Monaco pushers, and Newmar came out with a 28' Pusher around 2000 called the New Aire. Whoever told you this does not know what they are talking about!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There's a 34' diesel pusher parked across the street from us right now.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Roseburg , Oregon
Smile from "how to buy a used RV"

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginping
What exactly are you mentioning must be over 36' feet?? A rear seated diesel engine?? or any moho with a diesel engine?? or just AS's.. cause airstream has made some 28' turbo's and 34's as well. Other manufacturers have made smaller than 36' diesels as well.
I've been reading the RV greenbook and "how to buy a used RV" and it said that the wheelbase to length ratio should never be less than 54%, and that a pusher must be at least 36 feet long- I couldn't figure out why. I would rather have a 30ft or less moho, so this comment caused me concern. I am reading everything and talking to everyone who is selling a moho in an effort to become educated quickly. But I need to buy something soon and start moving us across the country. Are the 28' AS diesels thought well of?
thank you for your help!
Rachel
rachel kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel kings
I've been reading the RV greenbook and "how to buy a used RV" and it said that the wheelbase to length ratio should never be less than 54%, and that a pusher must be at least 36 feet long- I couldn't figure out why. I would rather have a 30ft or less moho, so this comment caused me concern. I am reading everything and talking to everyone who is selling a moho in an effort to become educated quickly. But I need to buy something soon and start moving us across the country. Are the 28' AS diesels thought well of?
thank you for your help!
Rachel
Rachel,

Be very selective about what you believe, relative to the RV world!!

The information that abounds, especially on the internet, is full of half truths, old wives tales and outright falsehoods. I found this to be espcially true once I completed my RV tech certifications, and it gets deeper with every new training course that I take!

I just can't believe the amount of 'mis-information' that is out there!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote