Old 01-19-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1982 28' Airstream 280
Grantsburg , Wisconsin
Diesel Excella propane regulators

Boy, I'm stuck. I have started working on my new old '82 Diesel Excella and one of the first things I need to do is rebuild the propane service. The regulators are broken and appliances not working. I see that there are two regulators in series. The first one feeds the second and also splits off to feed the generator with 13 inches WC. The second regulator feeds the rest of the system with 11 inches. I cannot find a 13 inch WC regulator to save my life. Inland RV doesn't seem to know what's needed either. I know others have working propane systems. How do you set them up?

I also want to re-plumb the propane lines. Any suggestions as to which types of lines are easiest and best to install? I've never done this before and would hate to make a mistake which might blow up in my face. (Just kidding.....I hope.)

Roddyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I don't know about Wisconsin but up here in Ontario Canada we have some pretty strict rules concerning propane, certification to work on propane systems and getting rigs certified every 5 years or so.

If it were me I would possibly approach a certified propane supplier like I did, NOT A RV DEALER but a Mom and Pop propane supplier. They will treat you like a human being instead of raping and pillaging as my local dealer tried to do. My guys did all the work exceptionally quickly and with a lot better percision than I suspect my local RV dealer would have done.

If you do need to save some money, then ask what lines (1/2", 3/8" or 1/4" lines you need to run but have them do the final flanging and hook ups. They would also be able to suggest a replacement size for the regulator or even have a rebuild kit?

Propane is one of those nasty gasses that accumulate in low spots as it leaks, and if it goes WUFF it goes WUFF big time.

Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1982 28' Airstream 280
Grantsburg , Wisconsin
Thanks for your concern Tony. I pay a lot of attention to my projects though. I'll be careful but I will do this myself. The question I need answered is a source for the gas regulators. What models do you use? Do you run it all at 11" WC or run the Onan (6.5kw) at 13" as Airstream suggests and then knock the rest down to 11"?
Roddyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You need to go to a Propane dealer to get the two different regulators you need, not an RV dealer.

On long propane runs in homes they first reduce the pressure to a lower pressure, then at the house itself, a second regulator reduces it to the 11" of water for final use in the home.

I expect your Propane generator is set up for a higher pressure and that is why you need a special two stage regulator system.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote