Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Determining value of 370?

I've been contacted by a 370LE owner who has had his coach severely damaged, and is in some conflict with his insurance company over the value of his MoHo. Description is basically as follows: about 32,000 original miles, new satellite dish system, stored inside, all options except leather, mechanically and appearance perfect. Anyone know how to get a true value on such a unusual vehicle? I know everything is relative, but dealing with an insurance company will take some convincing, I'm sure. I can't be of much help with mine since I got it from a relative.

Tim
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
I've been contacted by a 370LE owner who has had his coach severely damaged, and is in some conflict with his insurance company over the value of his MoHo. Description is basically as follows: about 32,000 original miles, new satellite dish system, stored inside, all options except leather, mechanically and appearance perfect. Anyone know how to get a true value on such a unusual vehicle? I know everything is relative, but dealing with an insurance company will take some convincing, I'm sure. I can't be of much help with mine since I got it from a relative.

Tim
Get an independent appraisal. Independent adjusters can and will do this, but you will need to find one that is an RV appraiser/estimator. It will also help to find out where the motor home is currently located, and if that is where the damage occured.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Get an independent appraisal. Independent adjusters can and will do this, but you will need to find one that is an RV appraiser/estimator. It will also help to find out where the motor home is currently located, and if that is where the damage occured.
Thanks. I've taken the liberty of forwarding this to the fellow with the problem. I appreciate the idea.

Tim
Old 12-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I went through this last year when an insurance company tried to say the cost of an engine was more than my motor home was worth. What I did was document that rarity of the vehicle and establish it as a true classic. Fred's Page was a real help as was Airstream in getting me the numbers of how many of my particular model were produced. I also had the help of my own insurance company who was fighting for me.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I went through this last year when an insurance company tried to say the cost of an engine was more than my motor home was worth. What I did was document that rarity of the vehicle and establish it as a true classic. Fred's Page was a real help as was Airstream in getting me the numbers of how many of my particular model were produced. I also had the help of my own insurance company who was fighting for me.
Chaplain Kent,
Please let me know how you got Airstream to help with the numbers of how many of your particular number were produced. I've tried to get that information for my 370, and have gotten nowhere. In fact, I was told they "don't keep records of numbers produced" when I attempted to find out. The general consensus is about 15, which makes the 370 a true classic in that sense. Just curious about getting your engine replaced. How did an insurance company get involved in that issue?

Merry Christmas,

Tim
Old 12-24-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
There is a long sad thread devoted to my engine from last year, titled $14980.00. I simply called Airstream and asked and they gave me the information I needed. Try contacting their public relations department.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
There is a long sad thread devoted to my engine from last year, titled $14980.00. I simply called Airstream and asked and they gave me the information I needed. Try contacting their public relations department.
WOW! That's quite a story about your engine. Congratulations on hanging in there. I'll try Airstream again to get the info on production numbers for the 370. Last year I e-mailed them and got the answer they didn't keep tabs on numbers of each model produced. Perhaps a phone call will work better. Thanks.

Tim
Old 03-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Thumbs up A Good Outcome

Quote:

Tim
Thanks to those who wrote with suggestions. I have heard from the "former" owner of the totaled 370 . He ended up getting $37,000 from his insurance company. He was satisfied that he got a fair price. Not bad for a 17 year old vehicle when it's payment from an insurance company.

Appreciate the help, and I'm sure the guy who got the settlement also appreciates it. Sad part is that one 370 is now "totaled".
AIR # 5648
Old 03-16-2006, 08:14 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Tim, was anything on the coach salvageable (glass ?). If so, any idea where the wreckage went (I presume a local wrecker, most insurance companies simply sell off the hulks forwhatever they can get) With some of the glass for the classics being no longer available, and even simple things like window catches being very pricey, even a written off rig could be a valuable parts source for forum members.

John
shadejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadejo
Tim, was anything on the coach salvageable (glass ?). If so, any idea where the wreckage went (I presume a local wrecker, most insurance companies simply sell off the hulks forwhatever they can get) With some of the glass for the classics being no longer available, and even simple things like window catches being very pricey, even a written off rig could be a valuable parts source for forum members.

John
John,

My impression is that the coach actually was salvageable, but the insurance company settled for a total. I have the name of the insurance company and the person who handled the case just in case anyone wanted to contact them to see what the possibilities are for salvaging parts, or perhaps the whole rig. I don't know what kind of disposal the insurance company has/is making with the coach. If you have the interest and a way to do part or all of that just send me a PM, and I'll be glad to give you that information. Also, this was in Columbus, Indiana. That may be helpful to anyone thinking about making an inquiry on any of this. A person wishing to pursue this would need to be serious, of course. We don't want to flood the agency with "lookers", or people who are just curious. I'm sure everyone can understand that. I'd feel like I had done a disservice to the former owner who shared the information with me. At the same time, he understands the potential interest in a MoHo owner or even an Airstream salvage restoration person being interested in this. Frankly, I'd love to get it myself , but I'm having enough trouble finding space for my 370 in my yard . I've had to put my 30 SOB trailer in a good friend's yard until I make absolutely certain I want to keep the Airstream and sell the trailer . I really can't keep both indefinitely . I need a garage with rubber walls - REAL ELASTIC rubber .

Best,
AIR # 5648
Old 03-18-2006, 09:21 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
John,

My impression is that the coach actually was salvageable, but the insurance company settled for a total. I have the name of the insurance company and the person who handled the case just in case anyone wanted to contact them to see what the possibilities are for salvaging parts, or perhaps the whole rig. I don't know what kind of disposal the insurance company has/is making with the coach. If you have the interest and a way to do part or all of that just send me a PM, and I'll be glad to give you that information. Also, this was in Columbus, Indiana. That may be helpful to anyone thinking about making an inquiry on any of this. A person wishing to pursue this would need to be serious, of course. We don't want to flood the agency with "lookers", or people who are just curious. I'm sure everyone can understand that. I'd feel like I had done a disservice to the former owner who shared the information with me. At the same time, he understands the potential interest in a MoHo owner or even an Airstream salvage restoration person being interested in this. Frankly, I'd love to get it myself , but I'm having enough trouble finding space for my 370 in my yard . I've had to put my 30 SOB trailer in a good friend's yard until I make absolutely certain I want to keep the Airstream and sell the trailer . I really can't keep both indefinitely . I need a garage with rubber walls - REAL ELASTIC rubber .

Best,
Can't claim to be serious on it as my wife would kill me. I already have a significant car collection and MOHOs take up lots more space!

I was just hoping it wouldn't be crushed with lots of good pieces on it. Sounds like it was what the insurance industry refers to as a constructive loss - cheaper to settle and sell the rig for decent salvage money than to actually pay the cost of repairing it. Sadly this is likely the reality for many of us with classics if they are even damaged in relatively minor accidents.

John
shadejo is offline   Reply With Quote