Old 06-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Question Dead Crow

A crow, eating roadkill on the highway, made a too-slow takeoff and smashed a big dent in the roof of our MH just above the windshield, between the driver side and center clearance lights. No big damage, just a dent. None of the local morticians wanted to deal with the crow.

I hope to be able to take down the headliner inside the front cap and push the dent up - and also the other dent up there which has been there for a while. Does anybody know how to take down the headliner and are you willing to give me some detailed instructions - assuming I am a complete idiot and know nothing?

jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
suck it!

The devil made me say it.

Many dents pop out on their own on a warm day, but many more are fairly easily sucked out with a plunger or the kind of suction cups that are used to carry sheets of glass.

If you don't want to risk a do it yourself job, aircraft mechanics could help, or a paintless dent removal service could do the work for you.

Use the Search feature here - try dent removal + suction

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1983 30' Airstream 300
Weatherford , Oklahoma
I just took the headliner out of my 300 classic. Seemed pretty difficult to me. My headliner had been ruined by fire so I didn't have to be careful with it. I'd definitely try the suction cups before I tried to remove the headliner. It is riveted on the back edge under the ceiling covering. I found I could not get a drill in to drill out the rivets. The way the book describes removing it is, drill out all the rivets and slide forward to remove. Good luck!
crashxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
The suction cup method WORKS. Find somebody who cah try it for you before you have to mess with your head liner.
I love that old time rock & roll.
whitsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:24 AM   #5
1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Thanks, all - we will definitely do the suction cup thing before attempting headliner removal. Thanks also for the tip about the glass-carrying suction cups. I think the only hard part will be getting some support to pull from - maybe a scaffold? Anyway, thanks. This kind of help is what makes this forum valuable.
- Jamie
jking is offline   Reply With Quote