Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Dash Vents and A/C

My 95 Classic seems to be a bit of a customization (or bastardization) of a 360 coach designed for a P30 retrofitted to a Spartan EC2000.

Unless I'm missing something, there is no outside air source for the dash vents. The air inlet is a register that takes cabin air near the passengers feet. It has a huge blocked off grill area that was origionally intended for the 454 radiator. I'm thinking of designing an air intake plenum with a cabin air filter to provide fresh air to the dash vents. I'm planning on replacing the dash vents with 2" aircraft style eyeball vents. With a couple low on the center consol for the Dakota (the dog). The dash A/C is also a big weak. Thinking about upgrading the compressor, condenser, and evaporator with something newer and more effective. Maybe an aluminum finned tube from the rear to front for more condensor capacity.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments?

Dave...
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Since we don't see these coaches much, possible for you to post some photos of your current set-up?
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Minor comment: Most coaches leak so much air going down the road that any extra "fresh air" is really unnecessary. It also would put even more load on the system, cooling and dehumidifying the outside air to interior temps.

Probably the most effective thing you can do to increase the capacity is a second evaporator. They can be fairly easily plumbed into the original high and low lines and can be located where they would do some good, like in the rear of the coach. Usually there is enough compressor capacity, and even condenser capacity, but the evaporator capacity is marginal, due to dash air flow restrictions and/or evaporator coil size.

That said, I do not know your coach AC system at all. These are general comments mostly based on the old GMC motorhome I owned once, and the 310 and 26' Argosy MH I had.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I would think, if you look close, that you indeed do have a fresh air vent.
On my Clipper, it is located facing the ground.
If you just want fresh air, you could install a two way vent in the sidewall.
These are on ebay, come in steel, plastic or aluminum, and some have interior finish panels in various colours. They are easy to install and can be reversed for wet weather travel.

Do a search for what you might need.

I installed one on the Clipper to flood the batteries with fresh air as a lot of heat is trapped in this area on those hot mountain pulls.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
My 95 Classic seems to be a bit of a customization (or bastardization) of a 360 coach designed for a P30 retrofitted to a Spartan EC2000.
Unless I'm missing something, there is no outside air source for the dash vents. The air inlet is a register that takes cabin air near the passengers feet.
Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments?
Dave...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7787.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	160511  
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Since we don't see these coaches much, possible for you to post some photos of your current set-up?
Thanks, Derek
I take some pictures next week. I'm off to work for a few days.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Check out a company called "Vintage Air". They specialize in retro fitting A/C to old Hot Rods.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
My 1987 Suburban has the front and rear AC option.
It always worked very well, even out here on the 100+ deg days.
I see no reason why a good compressor should not be able to handle a dual system.