Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Dash Replace

Hoping someone here might have an awnser or a suggestion

I am looking at a 1977 Argosy 28ft for parts. I would like to know if the complete dash would be interchangeable with the dash in my 1975 26ft. It also has a pair of perfect windshields would they also interchange. There are also many other pieces that I think would work on mine

It has been sitting for 20 years and is pretty dirty inside no gen, and the motor hasen't run in 20 years. really just good for parts
Anyone have a guess as to a price for it only has 68.000 miles on the clock

Thanks
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
I wouldn't be surprised if you could salvage a whole lot of parts since the units are so close in age. Can you get inside of the '77 to take measurements and get a closer look?
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
I was inside yesterday to have a look I am mainly interested in the windshields and the complete dash assembly to use in my 75, 26ft it is pretty dirty 20 years of sitting and nothing cleaned.Talked to the owner to day and I think we might be able to make a deal the only problem is I am about 3 hours away and it will have to be put on a float or tow truck to get it back home could be pricey and that might kill the deal.

Would the engine and trans be worth anything for resale to recoup some of the purchase price?????

Thanks
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hello, shepherd57

If all you really want is the dash and the window, why not make the trip, buy those parts, and pay just for them?

If you can only buy it complete, then I would either sell all the other bits quickly to pay for your costs in transporting it, or...

Consider keeping it, and "banking" those expensive (and rare, I'll wager) parts like the tranny and motor, if you are comfortable with the longer-term investment.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd57 View Post
Hoping someone here might have an awnser or a suggestion

I am looking at a 1977 Argosy 28ft for parts. I would like to know if the complete dash would be interchangeable with the dash in my 1975 26ft. It also has a pair of perfect windshields would they also interchange. There are also many other pieces that I think would work on mine

It has been sitting for 20 years and is pretty dirty inside no gen, and the motor hasen't run in 20 years. really just good for parts
Anyone have a guess as to a price for it only has 68.000 miles on the clock

Thanks
I am do not know about the dash, but I purchased new windshields for my '75 Argosy from a local automotive glass shop. I would think your local glass shop could tell you if those years can be interchanged. If they cannot tell you, try calling an Airstream dealer that deals with vintage parts. If you get those used windshields, you still have to buy a new windshield weatherstrip from one of those two places. Good luck.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd57 View Post
I was inside yesterday to have a look I am mainly interested in the windshields and the complete dash assembly to use in my 75, 26ft it is pretty dirty 20 years of sitting and nothing cleaned.Talked to the owner to day and I think we might be able to make a deal the only problem is I am about 3 hours away and it will have to be put on a float or tow truck to get it back home could be pricey and that might kill the deal.

Would the engine and trans be worth anything for resale to recoup some of the purchase price?????

Thanks
A word of caution about the windshields, you may not be able to remove and reinstall them intact. I recently broke a windshield and the installer brought a new gasket and both windshields. He said glass that old gets very brittle and is almost impossible to install without breaking. I watched him do mine and I was really surprised how hard he had to beat on the glass even with the soft new gasket. He used a large lump of clay for a beater and sure enough the old glass cracked very easily. He said he knew it would break but had to try to please the insurance co. You may get lucky but just be aware.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
FWIW, the unit will need a tilt-bed wrecker, as the bonnet is below the frame, and will crack easily...if you can afford the investment and storage, you will be glad you did on down the road...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote