Old 12-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Question DASH DIVING on 84 Excella 270 - Advice Sought

Fellow Alumilovers,

I need to access several things behind the dash of my '84 Excella 270. I note that the dash seems to be composed of two separate sections, top and bottom. The top section looks as if it is held on with several screws at the top.

If I remove these screws it appears I can get to the inside of the dash.

Is this correct?

I need to access the radio for replacement, and the heater control console for troubleshooting. These will be the subject of near future threads.

If anyone can steer me in the right direction before I start, it might prevent bigger troubles along the way. Thanks in advance!

John N2XBW
THE LIME HOLLOW BOYS

N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Speedway , Indiana
On the 345, the dash comes out as a unit. Some screws across the top and a couple at the very bottom. It can be pulled aft enough to gain access over the top.
Rob

Old 12-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfike
On the 345, the dash comes out as a unit. Some screws across the top and a couple at the very bottom. It can be pulled aft enough to gain access over the top.
Rob
Rob,
Thanks for the info! A few inches of access is all I need.
[Where have I heard that line before? ]

John N2XBW
THE LIME HOLLOW BOYS
Old 12-13-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
If the dash is like our 84 310 its a one piece unit. I recently went through the routine of replacing the radio and repairing the temperature control unit. Sorting through the configuration of the vacuum hoses was the most difficult part. That and there was only so much room for a radio to fit in. Check your depth carefully before committing to a specific radio.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
If the dash is like our 84 310 its a one piece unit. I recently went through the routine of replacing the radio and repairing the temperature control unit. Sorting through the configuration of the vacuum hoses was the most difficult part. That and there was only so much room for a radio to fit in. Check your depth carefully before committing to a specific radio.

Brad
Brad,
Thanks for the reply. I haven't tackled the job yet; still gathering information. -4 F here this morning in Far Northern NY. It'll be -20 soon enough.

John N2XBW
Old 12-13-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler

Brad
Brad,
Since you've "been there and done that" with the vacuum hoses, maybe you can give some more advice. My heater throws heat through all ports, with no selection control over defrost, etc. The only thing that is selectable is fan speed which I'm sure is electrical.

Now, my cruise control doesn't work either, and the 454 seems to run awfully rich. Do you suppose there is a common problem involving a vacuum line to all of these? Does the 454 have a vacuum advance?

Maybe all my problems here are related?

Let me know what you think. Also, anyone else with something to add, please speak up.

Thanks for your indulgence of a newcomer.

John N2XBW
Old 12-13-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2XBW
Brad, Since you've "been there and done that" with the vacuum hoses, maybe you can give some more advice. My heater throws heat through all ports, with no selection control over defrost, etc. The only thing that is selectable is fan speed which I'm sure is electrical.
When we got our 310 the heater control assembly mount was busted behind the dash. I did a bunch of research through the Airforums site and started looking at control units on eBay. I eventually found one that matched ours exactly and did a buy-it now. It wasn't in perfect condition but with a little epoxy was as good as new. The hardest part was sorting out which hose went to which port on the control assembly. I used a Mityvac to figure out where each vacuum hose went under the dash. I've got the combination written down somewhere that I'll be happy to share when I find it. With the vacuum portion not working you're only going to get air out of one location. I can't remember what ours defaulted to.

The other problem I had was the previous owner had the vacuum line going into the dash cut and plugged because there was a leak under the dash somewhere. This disabled both the fuel economy gauge and the dash control. So I had two problems to deal with, no vacuum and disconnected hoses.

Once I got it sorted out its been working fine.

Quote:
Now, my cruise control doesn't work either, and the 454 seems to run awfully rich. Do you suppose there is a common problem involving a vacuum line to all of these? Does the 454 have a vacuum advance?
I think the cruise control is vacuum controlled. You might check the hoses that go to and from your vacuum reservoir located above the engine on the firewall. Its a round ball about 5" in diameter.

I can't remember what lack of vacuum advance will do to an engine but yes you do have vacuum advance on your 454. Hopefully someone else can cover that one.
Quote:
Maybe all my problems here are related?

Let me know what you think. Also, anyone else with something to add, please speak up.
Good luck and keep us posted on how things work out.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote