Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #1321
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418438765.927101.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	701.3 KB
ID:	228499

A guy has to do what a guy has to do!

...even if it qualifies as "trailer trash"...

I added "temporarily" a rain gutter off the front and rear of the awning rail to move the water off the mh. When it rains hard, the water running off the rail ends is like a river running down the side of the mh right at the point where the front and rear sections meet the main coach. I know I'm getting leaks at these points. At the front this is also where the cab floor and the salon floor meet and it has leaked there in the past and it is leaking there again.

Hopefully I can find the right plastic gutter pieces to fit at the ends of the awning to move this water off the side of the mh.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-12-2014, 08:09 PM   #1322
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Nah... just necessity. :-P
Old 12-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #1323
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Dean

How are you all doing down there in Californication? We're seeing flooding, mud slides, land slides and the fourth horseman of the apocalypse is just now thundering into view.

At least you have water now, although a years worth of precip in three days is a bit much.

Take care mate and hopefully Steve is okay too. We're thinking of you all.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #1324
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We're well away from the hillsides and burn areas that are causing the issues. High and dry. Had to let all my family and friends know that we are ok--everyone assumes all of the state is being hit with issues, but it's a big place...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #1325
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Dean

How are you all doing down there in Californication? We're seeing flooding, mud slides, land slides and the fourth horseman of the apocalypse is just now thundering into view.

At least you have water now, although a years worth of precip in three days is a bit much.

Take care mate and hopefully Steve is okay too. We're thinking of you all.

Cheers

Tony

Tony, which of the three states of Californication are you speaking of? LOL The state of Southern California, the real land of californication? Northern California (the Bay Area), the real state of virtual California...or land of silicon, ha ha. Or the North State, or as they refer to it up here, the "Land of Jefferson"...or mighty whitey land as I often refer to it...OMG!

I guess I'm a bit of an odd ball up here in the North State...being that I'm a Democrat and a non-church goer...and before someone gets mad at me...Democrats and non-church goers don't go hand in hand, I just happen to be both! My home is the Bay Area, but for some very strange reason, I have property in the North State where I keep the MH. I'm even surprised myself since I have nothing in common with these rednecks this far north!

It sure did rain like hell the last few days. Shasta Lake up here in the North State, where the State of Southern California gets its water, has risen over 12 feet in the last couple of days. I still can't wash my MH at the ranch property due to low well water levels, but I'm happy that those down in Santa Monica and Brentwood will be able to continue to wash their BMW's...oh come on I'm just having some fun...or it could be cabin fever on my part or maybe a little oxygen deprivation from using my Mr. Heater in the MH for the last week?

Mt Shasta is glistening in snow in the sunshine today! We have blue skies up here today. That will give us a little time to dry out a bit before the next storm comes in next week. Its odd having so much rain after not raining for three years. We had over 800 fires in the North State this last summer so mud slides are a worry here as they are in Southern California. There has been lots of localized flooding from one end of the three states to the other. We had a 3-4 foot diameter log wash down the gully next to our shooting range and take out the gate and fence and our pond overflowed! LOL. Nothing compared to folks that have a foot of mud in their living rooms of course!

I'm thinking my gutter extensions worked. It rained some last night and not a drop of water leaked from the windshield! Hopefully we can keep the fourth horseman at bay for a little while longer! LOL.

I hope everyone else has survived our great flood! It is nice to see all green out there now instead of our well known "golden brown"!

Old 12-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #1326
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
We're well away from the hillsides and burn areas that are causing the issues. High and dry. Had to let all my family and friends know that we are ok--everyone assumes all of the state is being hit with issues, but it's a big place...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

Glad to hear all is ok!

Old 12-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #1327
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418506545.346120.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	831.9 KB
ID:	228528Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418506585.655802.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	702.1 KB
ID:	228529

Our overflowing pond and my MH is in there somewhere among all those RVs!

Old 12-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #1328
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Attachment 228499

Hopefully I can find the right plastic gutter pieces to fit at the ends of the awning to move this water off the side of the mh.
The glue on stick on plastic is still strong, probably been on 10 yrs, but the white has turned yellow, maybe you can find a silver colored one
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #1329
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
This...

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418605024.881618.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	880.2 KB
ID:	228603

Leads to this...

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418605123.224191.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	859.6 KB
ID:	228604

Which leads to this...

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418605211.865106.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	911.0 KB
ID:	228605

...oh wishing for our typical 108 degree summer temps to dry out the carpet!

...as yet another storm is only hours away!

It's always an adventure!

Old 12-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #1330
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418704509.955260.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	898.6 KB
ID:	228692

HEAT! I have HEAT!

I decided to pull the furnace today to do some further troubleshooting and determine if the circuit board was actually the culprit. These furnaces basically only have the following electronics/electrical on them; circuit board, fan, sail switch, thermal switch. My fan would not come on at all so bottom line was either the circuit board or the fan was bad...or a wiring issue.

The circuit board will power up the fan even if the sail switch and thermal switch are bad. If the sail switch is bad the circuit board will shut down the fan but it will still start up. The thermo switch will turn the system off if it overheats.

I tested that I have power to the furnace and the thermostat circuit was working.

So I pulled the guts out to test it some more. One can't really get to the circuit board with the guts in the cabinet...bad design! first test was to power the fan directly to see if it was functional. I powered and unpowered it many times. A few times, the fan did not come on! I could also a few times get the fan to slow down if I banged on the fan cage. So I assumed the problem was with the fan. I removed some of the wiring and put the wiring back together. I could no longer get the fan to NOT come on nor to slow down.

Next I powered up the circuit board and powered the thermostat wire and all worked like a charm...with no propane connected of course.

I put the guts back in and hooked up everything. Its been working fine all evening! I hope it continues to function now! Its really nice to have heat...I feel like I have an Airstream again! And best of all the repair cost NO MONEY! I was so excited, that went over to the rec center and got myself two cans of diet coke from the vending machine! I sure know how to party!

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Old 12-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #1331
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
I just put new caulking around my windshield and hope the leak is gone. Left a nice soggy black chipboard in the passenger footwell, and smelly carpet. No complaints about the rain...enjoyed it on the roof on a trip up the coast and Anderson valley last weekend.

SebasSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #1332
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebasSF View Post
I just put new caulking around my windshield and hope the leak is gone. Left a nice soggy black chipboard in the passenger footwell, and smelly carpet. No complaints about the rain...enjoyed it on the roof on a trip up the coast and Anderson valley last weekend.

hopefully you didn't use clear silicon! LOL.

Hope you fixed your leak. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #1333
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
Nope, I used some black automotive caulking from the auto parts store sediment for windshield repairs...we'll see if it worked.

SebasSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:37 AM   #1334
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Hey, nice work on getting the furnace going. Having just done a successfull rebuild on my compressor, after having been told by a couple of R V repair shops that it needed to be replaced. Makes me wonder how many repairable components get tossed rather than repaired.
Your discription of your job is inspiring!

And not just one but two Diet Cokes, you do go wild out there in Califorina!

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:12 AM   #1335
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Dad's Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Hey, nice work on getting the furnace going. Having just done a successfull rebuild on my compressor, after having been told by a couple of R V repair shops that it needed to be replaced. Makes me wonder how many repairable components get tossed rather than repaired.

Your discription of your job is inspiring!

And not just one but two Diet Cokes, you do go wild out there in Califorina!

Cheers Richard

Thanks Richard!

The furnace is still working tonight! It has only dropped down to a very warm low 40's tonight with the snow level down to about 3500 feet. We are about 1600 feet here in the foot hills. Still nice to have a working furnace again however. Congrats on rebuilding your compressor. I have the same one. It is an awesome compressor. Nothing like it made these days. It's amazing to see the lack of knowledge and skills out there in the RV repair business. I got another taste of that today as I was out and about seeking some info.

I tell you, I would love to pull about six to ten of some of the folks on this forum together and create an awesome rv repair business! The knowledge and skills here out do every shop I stopped at today!

Well since I spent a half tank of gas in the pickup driving into town today, I did pick up a couple bottles of wine and celebrated a bit more intensely this evening!

P:S: I was just thinking that about the only new part I have not had any issue with is my Swedish made Dometic refrig!

Dean

Old 12-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #1336
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
The top screw on the door latch wouldn't hold any longer. The threads inside the latch are stripped. It's not fun when the plate slips down enough that the door won't open!

I thought I would take a chance that longer screws would work. I found some longer screws at Lowes. There were enough threads left in the latch and all works like a charm! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1419106105.763447.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	228936Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1419106144.280794.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	228937

And it wasn't a great idea to put white grease on the latch...it's difficult to get out of clothes!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #1337
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
The top screw on the door latch wouldn't hold any longer. The threads inside the latch are stripped. It's not fun when the plate slips down enough that the door won't open!

I thought I would take a chance that longer screws would work. I found some longer screws at Lowes. There were enough threads left in the latch and all works like a charm! Attachment 228936Attachment 228937

And it wasn't a great idea to put white grease on the latch...it's difficult to get out of clothes!

The locksmith that fixed my lock this summer told me the sprayable white silicone for the lock mechanism and dry graphite for the tumbler is the best....just don't go over board but take off inside part of lock to make sure you get everywhere.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 12-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #1338
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Thanks Richard!

I tell you, I would love to pull about six to ten of some of the folks on this forum together and create an awesome rv repair business! The knowledge and skills here out do every shop I stopped at today!

Dean
Dean

I'm in ....Steve(Keyair) in command of outside aesthetics, fixing ABS, powder coating and levellers.
Smartstream (Dan) and Brad (Bkahler) anything electrical and inside mechanical, A/C? and a lot more.
John(Shepherd57) for all things mechanical especially diesel but knows gas as well. Also pretty handy with other inside mechanical.
Streamquest (Dan) yourself Dean(Dadstoy) and myself Tony(Isuzusweet)inside design and rebuilding, including subfloor replacement. Just keep me away from the electrical as I'm a Brit (Prince of Darkness).
Last but not least Mike (Mayco) Sales, main door hinge replacement and virgin sacrifices for keeping Airstream Gods at bay.

Seriously what a team.

Cheers
Tony

Old 12-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #1339
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
There ya go! The Awesome Airstream Dream Team!

Old 12-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #1340
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Dean

I'm in ....Steve(Keyair) in command of outside aesthetics, fixing ABS, powder coating and levellers.
Smartstream (Dan) and Brad (Bkahler) anything electrical and inside mechanical, A/C? and a lot more.
John(Shepherd57) for all things mechanical especially diesel but knows gas as well. Also pretty handy with other inside mechanical.
Streamquest (Dan) yourself Dean(Dadstoy) and myself Tony(Isuzusweet)inside design and rebuilding, including subfloor replacement. Just keep me away from the electrical as I'm a Brit (Prince of Darkness).
Last but not least Mike (Mayco) Sales, main door hinge replacement and virgin sacrifices for keeping Airstream Gods at bay.

Seriously what a team.

Cheers
Tony

I like to throw my name in the hat for Emotional support of folks facing the uphill battle, so you all can point at me and tell the customers, "oh that's not so bad, you should see what he bought/did!"

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome