Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #661
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
I'm also replacing the headlight switch and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to remove the knob to get the switch out of the dash. I finally looked up the part at Napa online and saw that there is not shaft in the new switch which means the shaft comes out of the switch. Thought there must be a set screw holding the shaft in so I looked under the dash at the switch. There is a release pin on a spring that you push in to release the shaft!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-571466398.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	542.3 KB
ID:	163987   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-654997005.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	508.9 KB
ID:	163988  

Old 07-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #662
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
The header collector gaskets I got a couple weeks ago were the wrong ones, so I ran into town yesterday and got the correct ones. One of the studs broke off. I drilled it out and re-tapped the threads. It's all back together and it sure is quiet! I like that! Actually the air injected tube on the right side is still holding up were I put some metal repair paste on the small hole a while back so I'll hold onto the new injector tube until I really do need to replace it.

I love getting my parts at Red Bluff Auto Electric. They had everything on the shelf that I needed yesterday; gaskets, ignition switch, headlight switch and a solenoid. I might pay a little more for it, but they are always the right parts and of better quality.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-653096817.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	590.5 KB
ID:	164023   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2448947361.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	164024  

Name:	image-1134623195.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	164025  
Old 07-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #663
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I hope that is not brass nuts. thay well come loss!!
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #664
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfalsetto
I hope that is not brass nuts. thay well come loss!!
They came with the new set of header studs so I'm sure they will work fine. I don't think they are brass.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #665
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Installed a new starting solenoid, cleaned up the connectors and replaced one of the connectors. Hopefully this was my intermittent starting problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2127155190.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	531.2 KB
ID:	164117  
Old 08-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #666
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
This morning I installed a new Fan-tastic fan in the front of the coach. It replaced an older Fan-tastic fan which was squeaky and showed it age. Install was simple since it was a direct replacement. I love how the new one open and closes automatically...you know it the little things in life that please us! The curved inside trim looks really good. I got it all done and I was off the roof by 11am...it is supposed to reach 100+ today. I still have the rear fan to replace. I'm looking forward to that one being done, but not to doing it. It will replace an original fan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-678744558.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	164455  
Old 08-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #667
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Cedar City , Utah
I'm happy you're enjoying your heirloom coach and enjoy seeing what you've done are are doing. Keep up the good work, it is an inspiration! _Mary
marydixon555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #668
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by marydixon555
I'm happy you're enjoying your heirloom coach and enjoy seeing what you've done are are doing. Keep up the good work, it is an inspiration! _Mary
Thank you very much Mary! And thank you for inspiring me to add a new ground wire to the dash gauge lights! My gauges don't drop off anymore and the lights are brighter!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #669
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I need to replace the right side air injection pipe. Only supplier I have found is rockauto (no problem with that) for $30. Anyone know of any other suppliers?
I noticed you have headers on your 454, did you install them yourself and if so, how big of an issue was it? I have a set of headers, I am considering installing. Note that they don't have Air injector ports, which is not needed on vehicles 25 years and older in Texas to pass inspection.
Any input is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	headers.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	923.3 KB
ID:	164461  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #670
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH

I noticed you have headers on your 454, did you install them yourself and if so, how big of an issue was it? I have a set of headers, I am considering installing. Note that they don't have Air injector ports, which is not needed on vehicles 25 years and older in Texas to pass inspection.
Hi Peter,

The headers on my MH are the Banks system and my dad had them installed years ago. I would definately consider using what you have to keep costs down as long as you can finish out the exhaust at a reasonable cost. There seems to be plenty of room in the engine bay to install them. You want to run both sides into one large free flow muffler and run that out one 3 inch tail pipe on the drivers side. I believe going into one muffler and out one tail pipe generates more low end torque which is what you want for the motorhome (remember you are not building a race car). Go in front of the rear tire so you don't have to go over the axel at a higher cost.

Check out the Banks web site and download their installation instructions for the older 454 gas engine Banks system. This will show you a diagram and give you a good parts list. Use the modern exhaust clamps instead of the old style U bolts.

Install a heat shield on the oil filter and a heat shield on the starter. If you still have the old plug wire boot protectors, I would continue to use them. I wouldn't wrap the headers...that's a race car thing and they may rust under the wrap. I would consider a good header paint with ceramic paint or even have them ceramic coated but again that will cost. If your year didn't have the extra sheet metal on the passenger side to push air across the headers instead of just out the wheel well, then add it.

My dad got tired of replacing the passenger side stock exhaust manifold after cracking from the heat. The other thing you want to do is to increase the air flow into the carburetor/fuel injection. Again look at the diagram from Banks.

Now here is my smog speech . You might think we are all crazy out here in California, my excuse is I was born in Minnesota! Ive lived in calif since 1967 and let me say, I love breathing clean air. Our air is cleaner today all due to auto emissions controls! Now here is the reason I mention all this. If your MH has smog equipment on it, leave it on. My dad lived in Oregon and he removed the air injection system, which I had to put back on at great expense to get the Motorhome smogged and registered in calif. also calif is no longer the only state requiring smog checks. Unless your MH is going to the grave with you, you might want to sell it some day and your only buyer just might be from calif. I would love to find a 31 footer some day and if it is from out of state, it must have all the smog equipment intact and running or I'll pass it up. Ther enough said .

Now get those headers on!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #671
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:

I wish Calif still had that 25 yr smog rule, but no longer. They want the older vehicles off the road. I have to have the MH smogged every year and that comes up again in a month and a half. It barely passed last time...hopefully it is running cleaner this yr!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #672
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Thanks for all the input, i will check out the Banks site and may tackle it once it cools down. So many projects and so little time...
AIR #13
Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #673
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH View Post
I noticed you have headers on your 454, did you install them yourself and if so, how big of an issue was it? I have a set of headers, I am considering installing.
Something else to watch for when installing headers on 454 is starter motor clearance on the P-30's once the header is in place.

I myself would not want to loosen up header and related system in order to r&r starter motor as many report having to do, especially if you find yourself having to change a starter away from home.

When I learn of a header set that permits starter r&r without interference I'll sure consider putting them on.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #674
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345bill

Something else to watch for when installing headers on 454 is starter motor clearance on the P-30's once the header is in place.

I myself would not want to loosen up header and related system in order to r&r starter motor as many report having to do, especially if you find yourself having to change a starter away from home.

When I learn of a header set that permits starter r&r without interference I'll sure consider putting them on.
The Banks headers allow starter R&R...I had my starter out a couple weeks ago to clean up the wiring. Once I removed the heat shield which was no big deal, the starter came out with no problems.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #675
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
The Banks headers allow starter R&R...I had my starter out a couple weeks ago to clean up the wiring. Once I removed the heat shield which was no big deal, the starter came out with no problems.
Thanks, I'll check out their website.

When I recently was at the Chevy dealer parts department I asked them about a gasket between stock ex manifold and the head and their reply was the 1990,454, P-30 didn't use one new from factory. I wasn't sure as mine has one on the r-side but none on the l-side. I'm guessing a PO added it on mine.

Does your Banks set up require gaskets at the head? Are yours the porcelin ones? How about coming loose?

My experiance with street race cars many years ago seems I remember constantly having to re-tighten the header to head bolts. We were teenagers when racing a lot and there's a good chance we never had the exhaust systems mounted correctly either.

Thanks Dean.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #676
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Hi Peter,
Now here is my smog speech . You might think we are all crazy out here in California, my excuse is I was born in Minnesota! Ive lived in calif since 1967 and let me say, I love breathing clean air. Our air is cleaner today all due to auto emissions controls! Now here is the reason I mention all this. If your MH has smog equipment on it, leave it on. My dad lived in Oregon and he removed the air injection system, which I had to put back on at great expense to get the Motorhome smogged and registered in calif. also calif is no longer the only state requiring smog checks. Unless your MH is going to the grave with you, you might want to sell it some day and your only buyer just might be from calif. I would love to find a 31 footer some day and if it is from out of state, it must have all the smog equipment intact and running or I'll pass it up. Ther enough said .

Now get those headers on!

As for your "unsolicited lecture" on smog compliance. I believe we all are much aware of the environmental impact on our Planet and the quality of the air, without having to try to tell others what to do. I recently saw a sticker that said: "Abandoning children and wasting Gas". Sometime I wonder if people stare at my Motorhome, not because of its stunning beauty and classic looks, but because they see just a huge gas guzzling machine with 2 people inside. What a waste of resources...Having said that, I appreciate you sharing your experience and giving your advice freely. I have been restoring Motorhomes for 20 years and another 20 years of VW busses before that and always enjoy seeing someone doing things as thorough and with quality in mind as you are.
regards
AIR #13
Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #677
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:

As for your "unsolicited lecture" on smog compliance. I believe we all are much aware of the environmental impact on our Planet and the quality of the air, without having to try to tell others what to do. I recently saw a sticker that said: "Abandoning children and wasting Gas". Sometime I wonder if people stare at my Motorhome, not because of its stunning beauty and classic looks, but because they see just a huge gas guzzling machine with 2 people inside. What a waste of resources...Having said that, I appreciate you sharing your experience and giving your advice freely. I have been restoring Motorhomes for 20 years and another 20 years of VW busses before that and always enjoy seeing someone doing things as thorough and with quality in mind as you are.
regards
Ok.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #678
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345bill

Thanks, I'll check out their website.

When I recently was at the Chevy dealer parts department I asked them about a gasket between stock ex manifold and the head and their reply was the 1990,454, P-30 didn't use one new from factory. I wasn't sure as mine has one on the r-side but none on the l-side. I'm guessing a PO added it on mine.

Does your Banks set up require gaskets at the head? Are yours the porcelin ones? How about coming loose?

My experiance with street race cars many years ago seems I remember constantly having to re-tighten the header to head bolts. We were teenagers when racing a lot and there's a good chance we never had the exhaust systems mounted correctly either.

Thanks Dean.
I'm not sure what is best with stock manifolds as far as using gaskets or not. I don't think my '82 had them either, but I think my dad had tried them on the stock manifolds to help stop exhaust leaks after the manifolds were warped. The Banks headers do not use gaskets. I don't really know, but I don't think they are porcelain coated either. My exhaust bolts are rusted up good, so no header leaks . Back in the day, my street rod was a '69 Chevelle. I sure wish I had that car today when I see what they are selling for on Mecum auto auctions. I was always tight ing the header bolts on that car. If I were adding headers to the MH today, I think I might use fasteners from a company called Stage 8. They have a bolt that uses a clip on the head so they can't back loose.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #679
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
My .02 concerning smog equipment. Mine has it, and I live in Florida. There are several states besides California, which have the California Air Resources Board standards, which I'm almost certain Florida participates. We don't have any smog testing stations any longer, and haven't had annual vehicle checks for at least the past 27 years I've lived here.
I'll leave all of the equipment on the engine, simply because I know that the engine is tuned to operate with the smog equipment.
After reading about Dadstoy, StSpot and Keyair's dealings with obtaining and installing missing smog equipment, I agree with Dean. Leave it on, if it's there. There may come the day that you want to sell, and not having it means dropping your asking price a couple of thousand because it is missing.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #680
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
TV antenna or not?

I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the old tv antenna on the roof or not. I've read some posts that say the old antenna pick up digital broadcasts just fine. I'm wondering if this is really the case? I'm wondering if others are keeping their old antennas or taking them off?

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome