Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #501
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I'm going to replace the Suburban heater wall thermostat. What have others used as a replacement?
Dean, check with Steve (1984 345 newbie), believe he's used one of the newer electronic thermostats.
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #502
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Derek is correct Dean, I put a new style one in to replace the old and broken Suburban one.
I also have another ready to go into the main cabin, but not fitted yet as I want to move it to another more visible spot.
Whilst it has not been used in anger yet, it seems to work great, and the added bonus is you can see the actual temp inside your rig.
I used a Hunter Digital Just Right 42996.
It uses 2xAA batteries as a backup, and in this case with no 24v feed, it uses them to do it all.

Here is where i found how to do the swap.
RV Digital Thermostat Upgrade | ModMyRV
I got mine used off Ebay, and paid about $10 each.

Original one..

New one fitted.
And yes its crooked in this pic... I only had one screw in, and added another later that held it good.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #503
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair
Derek is correct Dean, I put a new style one in to replace the old and broken Suburban one.
I also have another ready to go into the main cabin, but not fitted yet as I want to move it to another more visible spot.
Whilst it has not been used in anger yet, it seems to work great, and the added bonus is you can see the actual temp inside your rig.
I used a Hunter Digital Just Right 42996.
It uses 2xAA batteries as a backup, and in this case with no 24v feed, it uses them to do it all.

Here is where i found how to do the swap.
RV Digital Thermostat Upgrade | ModMyRV
I got mine used off Ebay, and paid about $10 each.

Original one..

New one fitted.
And yes its crooked in this pic... I only had one screw in, and added another later that held it good.
Thanks Steve and Derek.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #504
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
My Experience at the Repair Shop

I'm really excited that I now have the remainder of the drivetrain issues taken care of. In the process, I think I found the best shop on the west coast to do the work. All Wheel Alignment and Brakes in Redding, Calif. works on cars, pickups, motorhomes, trailers, fifth wheels, busses and semi's. They do anything engine, drivetrain and suspension related. They have been around a long time and they have a great, knowledgable crew. Their customer service is awesome! Rob, the manager, went out of his way to hunt down some hard to find parts. No one else would have done that!

I've spent a lot of time over the last year getting the MH in shape and to be honest, all the work is wearing on me a bit. It's time to get back to enjoying the MH and riding my Polaris RZR side by side, so I was happy to find a shop that could handle this work at the level of quality that they provide. I went in for a front end alignment and I kept throwing them items from my to do list. Now I'm ready and confident to take the three planned trips I have coming up this summer. We are heading to Yosemite again in a couple of weeks!

All Wheel Alignment and Brakes is right off of I-5 at the north end of Redding. They have a lot of customers that travel the I-5 corridor and stop there to have their work done. Stop in and see them...tell them I sent you!

http://www.allwheelinc.com/
Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #505
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy
My Experience at the Repair Shop

I'm really excited that I now have the remainder of the drivetrain issues taken care of. In the process, I think I found the best shop on the west coast to do the work. All Wheel Alignment and Brakes in Redding, Calif. works on cars, pickups, motorhomes, trailers, fifth wheels, busses and semi's. They do anything engine, drivetrain and suspension related. They have been around a long time and they have a great, knowledgable crew. Their customer service is awesome! Rob, the manager, went out of his way to hunt down some hard to find parts. No one else would have done that!

I've spent a lot of time over the last year getting the MH in shape and to be honest, all the work is wearing on me a bit. It's time to get back to enjoying the MH and riding my Polaris RZR side by side, so I was happy to find a shop that could handle this work at the level of quality that they provide. I went in for a front end alignment and I kept throwing them items from my to do list. Now I'm ready and confident to take the three planned trips I have coming up this summer. We are heading to Yosemite again in a couple of weeks!

All Wheel Alignment and Brakes is right off of I-5 at the north end of Redding. They have a lot of customers that travel the I-5 corridor and stop there to have their work done. Stop in and see them...tell them I sent you!

http://www.allwheelinc.com/
Finding a company you can trust will do the right thing for these classics is the most challenging aspect of ownership. Good find Dean.

Anyone have any recommendations for the Southeast?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #506
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:

All Wheel Alignment Complete Auto Repair - Redding, California
Good to hear of someone who knows their stuff! We're coming through Redding in May and will keep them in our files.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #507
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary

Good to hear of someone who knows their stuff! We're coming through Redding in May and will keep them in our files.
I'm a pretty good backyard mechanic if I may say so I quizzed them on everything I had them work on. One of my concerns was do they know how to align the P30/32 Motorhome chassis? I have multiple alignment printouts from my dad's old paperwork and none of them are correct. I quizzed Dan, the alignment guy, to see if he knew the correct specs. He did. They see less P30's these days but Dan has probably aligned a coupe thousand P30's over the last 20 years that he has worked there.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #508
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Countdown to Yosemite begins.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #509
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Yosemite.....Burning Man next??? Everything I've read has said to seriously consider duct-taping your windows shut, inside and out, or you'll be getting rid of dust forever, lol.
Thanks, Deek
Old 04-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #510
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw
Yosemite.....Burning Man next??? Everything I've read has said to seriously consider duct-taping your windows shut, inside and out, or you'll be getting rid of dust forever, lol.
Thanks, Deek
Yosemite, the sand dunes at Coos Bay, Oregon, then Burning Man!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #511
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Yosemite, the sand dunes at Coos Bay, Oregon, then Burning Man!
Burning Man... I've heard of it and Ann really wants to go. What's it all about?
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #512
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Dakota,
Burning Man is a week long event. From what I've read, if you haven't gotten in this year's lotto for event tix, you're out of luck. Maybe next year? Try googling Burning Man, sure there's TONS to read all about it.
Thanks, Derek
Old 04-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #513
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
on the road , CA and OR this summer!
"my Precious" will never go to BMan. The dust is extremely alkali and will quickly eat thru hoses and belts and ruin your overhead A.Cs... you will never get it out.
it can also eat thru your feet and sinuses as well if your not careful.
they also say bring enough lawn and leaf bags to completely wrap your motor, radiator and acs...and tape up any vents or windows.

you learn to "become one" with the constant dust storms

it's not like any other environment a human or beautiful motorhome should exist in.

my advice, rent a SOB in Reno for the week....watch your speed in Gerlach, NV....and have a hella lot of fun hehehe

MaryContrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #514
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryContrary View Post
"my Precious" will never go to BMan. The dust is extremely alkali and will quickly eat thru hoses and belts and ruin your overhead A.Cs... you will never get it out.
it can also eat thru your feet and sinuses as well if your not careful.
they also say bring enough lawn and leaf bags to completely wrap your motor, radiator and acs...and tape up any vents or windows.

you learn to "become one" with the constant dust storms

it's not like any other environment a human or beautiful motorhome should exist in.

my advice, rent a SOB in Reno for the week....watch your speed in Gerlach, NV....and have a hella lot of fun hehehe
Think I'll put BM on my avoid list. Camping along a mountain stream is a little more my style.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #515
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Personally, I can't wait for the debauchery to begin!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #516
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Personally, I can't wait for the debauchery to begin!
Take lots of pictures!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:47 AM   #517
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Yosemite Trip II

The first leg of the trip to Yosemite was just over 200 miles from Red Bluff to Angles Camp Calif. we are staying at the Angles Camp RV and Campgrounds. It's a nice little RV park in the gold country just outside Yosemite. I definitely recommend it! We had just a couple of "minor" issues on the way down...besides the idiot drivers on the highway. I recently replaced the water pump clutch fan and this is the first trip with it. I got the part at AutoZone and I will be shortly replacing it again with a quality part from my favorite local parts house in Red Bluff. The issue is that this clutch fan is engaging at too low a temperature. The temp ran between 160 and 170 degrees. At about 165 to 170, the clutch fan would engage and cool the engine down to 160 and disengage. This cycle was continuos throughout the trip. The noise was driving us crazy. I'm guessing the clutch fan from AutoZone is not the correct one for the P30 Motorhome chassis with the 454. There will be no more parts purchased at the cheaply auto parts stores!

The second issue was the dash A/C. The outside temp wasn't bad, but as you know the AS cabs get too hot with all that glass upfront. I have cold air coming out of the a/c, but I don't believe the fan is working properly. The fan seems to slow down to the point that not much air is being pushed out. This is disappointing since the best time to have fixed this was when I had the dash out a month ago.

Tomorrow morning we are heading into Yosemite Valley we are looking forward to a wonderful drive!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3907056291.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	719.6 KB
ID:	156543   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2943629983.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	632.6 KB
ID:	156544  

Old 04-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #518
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
The second issue was the dash A/C. The outside temp wasn't bad, but as you know the AS cabs get too hot with all that glass upfront. I have cold air coming out of the a/c, but I don't believe the fan is working properly. The fan seems to slow down to the point that not much air is being pushed out. This is disappointing since the best time to have fixed this was when I had the dash out a month ago.
Upgrading the dash AC is definitly on my list of future upgrades. I'm looking at newer, more efficient pump, a finned pipe from the rear engine to the front for the condensor, and eyeball vents in the dash. Ones that you can direct more accuratly. Even a couple down low for the dog. That was one thing I never considered. How to keep cool on the road on those 100 degree days without running the gen and roof units. Cooled seats would also be great if I could ever find some. A buddy has them in his BA Caddy. They really work after you get over the innitial shock of feeling like you wet yourself.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #519
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
At Yosemite and all setup, a beer in hand and looking up at Half Dome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3623450018.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	667.4 KB
ID:	156607   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-648561826.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	652.0 KB
ID:	156609  

Name:	image-118394750.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	567.5 KB
ID:	156612   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-255156440.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	560.0 KB
ID:	156613  

Name:	image-583334161.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	590.4 KB
ID:	156614   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1029760600.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	156615  

Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #520
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
At Yosemite and all setup, a beer in hand and looking up at Half Dome.
Very nice! Ya got me chompin at the bit. Our vacation starts on Monday. I got it out of storage and have been working on it for a week now. One step forward and two back. Have not got everything done that I wanted but the mechanical stuff is all good so we're headin out on schedule.

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome