Old 12-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #1331
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
I just put new caulking around my windshield and hope the leak is gone. Left a nice soggy black chipboard in the passenger footwell, and smelly carpet. No complaints about the rain...enjoyed it on the roof on a trip up the coast and Anderson valley last weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 12-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #1332
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebasSF View Post
I just put new caulking around my windshield and hope the leak is gone. Left a nice soggy black chipboard in the passenger footwell, and smelly carpet. No complaints about the rain...enjoyed it on the roof on a trip up the coast and Anderson valley last weekend.

hopefully you didn't use clear silicon! LOL.

Hope you fixed your leak. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:08 AM   #1333
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
Nope, I used some black automotive caulking from the auto parts store sediment for windshield repairs...we'll see if it worked.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:37 AM   #1334
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Hey, nice work on getting the furnace going. Having just done a successfull rebuild on my compressor, after having been told by a couple of R V repair shops that it needed to be replaced. Makes me wonder how many repairable components get tossed rather than repaired.
Your discription of your job is inspiring!

And not just one but two Diet Cokes, you do go wild out there in Califorina!

Cheers Richard
Old 12-17-2014, 02:12 AM   #1335
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Dad's Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
Hey, nice work on getting the furnace going. Having just done a successfull rebuild on my compressor, after having been told by a couple of R V repair shops that it needed to be replaced. Makes me wonder how many repairable components get tossed rather than repaired.

Your discription of your job is inspiring!

And not just one but two Diet Cokes, you do go wild out there in Califorina!

Cheers Richard

Thanks Richard!

The furnace is still working tonight! It has only dropped down to a very warm low 40's tonight with the snow level down to about 3500 feet. We are about 1600 feet here in the foot hills. Still nice to have a working furnace again however. Congrats on rebuilding your compressor. I have the same one. It is an awesome compressor. Nothing like it made these days. It's amazing to see the lack of knowledge and skills out there in the RV repair business. I got another taste of that today as I was out and about seeking some info.

I tell you, I would love to pull about six to ten of some of the folks on this forum together and create an awesome rv repair business! The knowledge and skills here out do every shop I stopped at today!

Well since I spent a half tank of gas in the pickup driving into town today, I did pick up a couple bottles of wine and celebrated a bit more intensely this evening!

P:S: I was just thinking that about the only new part I have not had any issue with is my Swedish made Dometic refrig!

Dean

Old 12-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #1336
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
The top screw on the door latch wouldn't hold any longer. The threads inside the latch are stripped. It's not fun when the plate slips down enough that the door won't open!

I thought I would take a chance that longer screws would work. I found some longer screws at Lowes. There were enough threads left in the latch and all works like a charm! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1419106105.763447.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	228936Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1419106144.280794.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	228937

And it wasn't a great idea to put white grease on the latch...it's difficult to get out of clothes!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 12-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #1337
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
The top screw on the door latch wouldn't hold any longer. The threads inside the latch are stripped. It's not fun when the plate slips down enough that the door won't open!

I thought I would take a chance that longer screws would work. I found some longer screws at Lowes. There were enough threads left in the latch and all works like a charm! Attachment 228936Attachment 228937

And it wasn't a great idea to put white grease on the latch...it's difficult to get out of clothes!

The locksmith that fixed my lock this summer told me the sprayable white silicone for the lock mechanism and dry graphite for the tumbler is the best....just don't go over board but take off inside part of lock to make sure you get everywhere.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #1338
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Thanks Richard!

I tell you, I would love to pull about six to ten of some of the folks on this forum together and create an awesome rv repair business! The knowledge and skills here out do every shop I stopped at today!

Dean
Dean

I'm in ....Steve(Keyair) in command of outside aesthetics, fixing ABS, powder coating and levellers.
Smartstream (Dan) and Brad (Bkahler) anything electrical and inside mechanical, A/C? and a lot more.
John(Shepherd57) for all things mechanical especially diesel but knows gas as well. Also pretty handy with other inside mechanical.
Streamquest (Dan) yourself Dean(Dadstoy) and myself Tony(Isuzusweet)inside design and rebuilding, including subfloor replacement. Just keep me away from the electrical as I'm a Brit (Prince of Darkness).
Last but not least Mike (Mayco) Sales, main door hinge replacement and virgin sacrifices for keeping Airstream Gods at bay.

Seriously what a team.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 12-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #1339
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
There ya go! The Awesome Airstream Dream Team!

Old 12-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #1340
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Dean

I'm in ....Steve(Keyair) in command of outside aesthetics, fixing ABS, powder coating and levellers.
Smartstream (Dan) and Brad (Bkahler) anything electrical and inside mechanical, A/C? and a lot more.
John(Shepherd57) for all things mechanical especially diesel but knows gas as well. Also pretty handy with other inside mechanical.
Streamquest (Dan) yourself Dean(Dadstoy) and myself Tony(Isuzusweet)inside design and rebuilding, including subfloor replacement. Just keep me away from the electrical as I'm a Brit (Prince of Darkness).
Last but not least Mike (Mayco) Sales, main door hinge replacement and virgin sacrifices for keeping Airstream Gods at bay.

Seriously what a team.

Cheers
Tony

I like to throw my name in the hat for Emotional support of folks facing the uphill battle, so you all can point at me and tell the customers, "oh that's not so bad, you should see what he bought/did!"
Old 12-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #1341
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Im going to need some type of expense account for travel......virgins are getting harder to find around here, well, since I started work on the 310 that is.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #1342
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
I like to throw my name in the hat for Emotional support of folks facing the uphill battle, so you all can point at me and tell the customers, "oh that's not so bad, you should see what he bought/did!"
Damn I knew I forgot someone Dave....Hows the complaints department and customer service. If the customer gets all up in your face about delivery delays, just send in Felicia as the heavy closer.

Cheers
Tony

Old 12-21-2014, 10:37 PM   #1343
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Dean

Seriously what a team.

Cheers
Tony
Tony,

I'm not sure how I got included in the elite group that you've described. You must have me confused with someone who knows what he's doing. I read along, in awe of what you guys know, and try to learn a little along the way.
Most recent thanks goes out to Dean for the tutorial on furnace repair. I've got two not working on the newly acquired 370. But before I begin major surgery, I'm going to make certain that the propane tank is full; genius that I am!

Streamquest, aka Charly (not Dan)
Old 12-22-2014, 12:50 AM   #1344
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I'll volunteer for the ham radio installs....😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome