Old 09-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #1233
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
I made a new genturi this year for the genset. I tossed out the other one that I made out of used 4" pvc. It was just too bulky and heavy and I didn't want to store it any longer. When we were getting close to BM this year, I knew if I wanted to run the getset at all, I would need a new genturi. I can't run the getset for any more than 5-10 minutes without the CO2 detectors sounding. I was going to buy the real thing but decided the cost was too much.

I wanted it to be a bit simpler as well. I used 2" pvc only because Home Depot didn't have any 3". I picked up two flexible 1 1/2" exhaust pipes and one 1 1/2" hard 90 degree exhaust pipe from one of the auto parts stores. I used a small flat aluminum bar that I cut and bent to connect the exhaust pipe to the pvc. In keeping it simpler, I used some existing straps to secure the pvc pipe the awning brackets.

It worked, but 3" pvc pipe is actually required. The 2" just didn't create enough of a venturi affect to adequately draw in colder air and I also think the 2" is too restrictive. The bottom end of the pvc also got hot enough to deform a bit. I used all of the 10' pvc pipe that I bought, but also think the length was a bit too long which also makes the pipe too restrictive. Next time I will cut the pipe at about 1 foot above the roof line.

If I remember right, the desert is at about 3000' and so the genset was running way too rich for this altitude. Even after it warmed up it was pumping out a bit of black smoke. So I reached in and adjusted the mixture screw at the back side of the carb until it ran better which eliminated almost all black smoke.

I ran the genset twice in order to run the roof A/C. One of those times, I ran the getset and A/C for about an hour with no real problems.

I have a habit of checking for oil/gas leaks while running the engine and genset. After the genset had been running a bit, I checked and saw I was leaking oil. I put a pan on the ground under the genset in time to catch any oil from dripping on the ground...a big no no! I reached in and tightened the oil filler cap! I also cleaned up as much oil as I could around the base of the genset.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	genturi01.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	221696   Click image for larger version

Name:	genturi02.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	221697  

Old 09-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #1234
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Drove the mh into town today to get it smogged. It failed . It's a very expensive trip into town and back with gas prices where they are. I did go to a truck wash to get the Burning Man playa dust off it however. It sure looks nice when it's all cleaned up!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1411098628.340124.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	965.7 KB
ID:	222219

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #1235
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Sure does! Beautiful coach

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #1236
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Sure does! Beautiful coach

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #1237
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Gas Line

Here is the fuel pump return line that rotted out. The original is a molded curved line but it is no longer available. So I'm guessing I'm going to have this problem again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8219.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	222925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8222.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	222926  

Old 09-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #1238
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
An adjustable, spring-loaded curtain rod will hold your shower curtain in place. A noodle will seal the top gap. The folks at the border check station got a kick out of it...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #1239
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Noodles are really handy...awning bar headache softeners, windshield wiper blade protectors for longer term stays, cheap pipe insulation...
I have 2 Kyocera 130's top mounted to a Blue Sky controller, and this satisfies electrical needs for daily living...LED's cut use a LOT...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:44 PM   #1240
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
I'll have to try the spring loaded curtain rod. Not sure how you are using the pool noodle with it though. I do have my pool noodles for the awning bars since I have knocked my head on them many times!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:52 PM   #1241
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412135189.304135.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	838.1 KB
ID:	223278Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412135210.993680.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	996.2 KB
ID:	223279
I pulled the carb today and took it apart. I found a couple of problems, made the fixes and reinstalled the carb. Runs good as usual just hope it passes smog this time.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:00 AM   #1242
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Next Trip

We are planning our next trip...to Yosemite!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	yosemite.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	546.9 KB
ID:	224464  
Old 10-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #1243
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Dean, your MH looks better and better every time you post a pic.... you should be proud!

Did you find the oil leak on the genset?
Is it a Kohler?

Good luck with the Smog... dreading my day in front of the Test man...
Old 10-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #1244
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Beautiful rig Dean! Just one question....Is the exterior original? Mine doesn't have the burgundy pin stripes yours has or the grey paint work around the windows. Were they an option I wonder?

Just curious, as we in Ontario Canada (not Ontario California) had smog testing instituted in the mid 90's. Originally if the car was older than 20 years, it became exempt from e testing. The government has now done away with that exemption, so all cars post 1987 need to be tested for life. If you have a heavy duty diesel it needs to be electronically tested every year, for light duty diesels the e tester just looks at the exhaust for smog.

Does California have an eventual exemption time limit on smog testing?

Cheers
Tony
Old 10-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #1245
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Dean, your MH looks better and better every time you post a pic.... you should be proud!

Did you find the oil leak on the genset?
Is it a Kohler?

Good luck with the Smog... dreading my day in front of the Test man...

Hi Steve and thanks!

There is not much more I can do on the interior, but wish I could get the exterior in better shape. I would like to strip the roof and paint it with some white reflective paint. With the water shortage up north, I can't use any water to strip and clean the roof.

The genset is an Onan. I believe the oil leak came from a loose oil cap.

I finally passed the emissions test with flying colors. It was running rich (high CO) at 2500 rpm's. I pulled the Q-Jet apart and saw one of the primary metering rods was bent as well as the metering rod hanger. Since I'm the one that rebuilt the carb a year ago, it was me that bent the rod when I put the top back on. It ran good this last year, but of course it was running rich. I straightened out the hanger and the rod and I was very careful this time around in putting it back together. The test mechanic said he has rarely seen a 454 run so clean! That was good news because it also means that it's not burning too much oil!

Even though I like breathing clean air here in calif, getting this thing smogged is a pain! It took three trips into town which is $50 in gas each time! Second trip it passed, but the shop could not get the computer to accept the MH. The computer kept saying that the MH required an enhanced test which would have been correct if I registered it in the Bay Area. But the MH is registered up north at the ranch property and all worked two weeks earlier with the DMV computer. We thought it was some sort of address mixup all of a sudden, which of course wasn't making sense. I concluded that since it failed the smog two weeks earlier, it got flagged in the system as now requiring an enhanced test. So third trip into town was to go to a STAR rated smog station.

The enhanced test requires a dyno test, but large vehicles are exempt from that. Only other difference is a bit more visual inspection of the carb and vacuum hoses and of course an $80 fee instead of a $40 fee...someone is getting rich!

I really wish I could put a different carb on the MH, but no one makes a Q-Jet replacement and no other carb is legal in Calif. I have a pretty good understanding of the Q-Jet and if it is properly setup, it does work just fine.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #1246
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1413517688.041176.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	926.8 KB
ID:	224538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Beautiful rig Dean! Just one question....Is the exterior original? Mine doesn't have the burgundy pin stripes yours has or the grey paint work around the windows. Were they an option I wonder?

Just curious, as we in Ontario Canada (not Ontario California) had smog testing instituted in the mid 90's. Originally if the car was older than 20 years, it became exempt from e testing. The government has now done away with that exemption, so all cars post 1987 need to be tested for life. If you have a heavy duty diesel it needs to be electronically tested every year, for light duty diesels the e tester just looks at the exhaust for smog.

Does California have an eventual exemption time limit on smog testing?

Cheers
Tony

Thank you Tony!

The exterior is not the original. My MH is an '82 and it originally had the wood grain stripe. My dad had it redone with the '92-94 paint scheme. He loved telling folks the MH was a '92. I really like the '92 scheme myself. The attached pic was probably taken in the late '80s and that was my mother.

Calif used to have a rolling 20 year program meaning anything older than 20 years (or maybe 25) was exempt. The state did away with that some years back and know all vehicles newer than about '74 require smog checks, except for diesel vehicles older than something like '96(?). So yup, every two years, I have to have the MH smogged. As of a couple years ago, all smog stations in enhanced areas have to have a dyno as well.

So it means I have to keep all the emissions equipment on the MH and in good shape! My MH is the federal model so that really only means the air pump and the Q-Jet carb.

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome