Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #841
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Here's the manufacturer's web site for the filter. It is basically the same as the WIX shown by vswingfield. It does have a safety by-pass. Part number is JX-160.

Dual Filtration
Dean, thanks for the part number.

Looks like a good add on for the PS system. I'll definitely be adding it to ours.

Thanks!

Brad
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #842
Rivet Master
 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,735
I got the power steering pump and fan clutch installed today along with the high pressure power steering hose. The low pressure return lines are pointed into a bucket so that tomorrow I can flush the system before I button it up.
__________________

__________________
http://projectupdraft.com/airstream

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #843
Rivet Master
 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,735
Power steering pump...

Well, I'm 99% successful with the new power steering pump. Just have to get the rest of the air out of the system.

Changing the power steering pump is not the most fun job in the world. Space is tight down there, those pumps are heavy and a helper would have been great! I ran about 3/4 of a gallon of fluid through the system to flush it. I almost gave up on installing the filter since the return lines are very short and it was difficult getting it in with out kinking the hose. It's in now.

I buttoned up the hoses and added fluid...lots of fluid. No power steering! That had me worried! I kept checking/adding fluid, pressing the brake pedal and trying to turn the steering wheel. Finally I got the power steering pump sqweel/not enough fluid noise. I turned the wheel side to side multiple times and added fluid as needed. I haven't got all the sqweel out yet.

I can tell already that the new fan clutch works different then the last one. It is partially engaged at idle to about 2000 RPMs. If I hold the RPMs just above 2000, within seconds the clutch disengages and I hear the sweet sounds of "fan silence"! Only a road trip will tell of course!

I also changed the GenSet and engine (on the frame rail) fuel filters this morning. I was amazed as to how long it took to draw fuel through the filter to the carb before the engine would start. I'm really considering adding an electric pump back at the tank.

Well, on the the rest of my list!
__________________
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #844
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Well, I'm 99% successful with the new power steering pump. Just have to get the rest of the air out of the system.

Changing the power steering pump is not the most fun job in the world. Space is tight down there, those pumps are heavy and a helper would have been great! I ran about 3/4 of a gallon of fluid through the system to flush it. I almost gave up on installing the filter since the return lines are very short and it was difficult getting it in with out kinking the hose. It's in now.

I buttoned up the hoses and added fluid...lots of fluid. No power steering! That had me worried! I kept adding checking/adding fluid, pressing the brake pedal and trying to turn the steering wheel. Finally I got the power steering pump sqweel/not enough fluid noise. I turned the wheel side to side multiple times and added fluid as needed. I haven't got all the sqweel out yet.

I can tell already that the new fan clutch works different then the last one. It is partially engaged at idle to about 2000 RPMs. If I hold the RPMs just above 2000, within seconds the clutch disengages and I hear the sweet sounds of "fan silence"! Only a road trip will tell of course!

I also changed the GenSet and engine (on the frame rail) fuel filters this morning. I was amazed as to how long it took to draw fuel through the filter to the carb before the engine would start. I'm really considering adding an electric pump back at the tank.

Well, on the the rest of my list!
Glad to hear you got the job finished. Your comment about the fuel pump has me wondering. Don't you have an electric pump installed now? Even my little 74 20' Argosy has an electric pump installed by the fuel tank.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #845
Rivet Master
 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Glad to hear you got the job finished. Your comment about the fuel pump has me wondering. Don't you have an electric pump installed now? Even my little 74 20' Argosy has an electric pump installed by the fuel tank.

Brad
I'm 99% sure there is no electric pump, but I'm going to take a real close look.
__________________
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #846
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I'm 99% sure there is no electric pump, but I'm going to take a real close look.
The one on my Argosy is a frame rail mounted unit that almost looks like an inline fuel filter. At first that's what I thought it was until I was the wires sticking out of it.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #847
Rivet Master
 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
The one on my Argosy is a frame rail mounted unit that almost looks like an inline fuel filter. At first that's what I thought it was until I was the wires sticking out of it.
Now I'm 100% sure there is no electric pump. I just crawled under and took a real close look from the fuel tank all the way forward...no pump.

I did however tighter a loose bolt on a muffler bracket, so I can check that one off the list! LOL
__________________
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #848
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Now I'm 100% sure there is no electric pump. I just crawled under and took a real close look from the fuel tank all the way forward...no pump.

I did however tighter a loose bolt on a muffler bracket, so I can check that one off the list! LOL
I'm kind of surprised you haven't had issues in the mountains and long grades.

Maybe you should leave well enough alone
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #849
Rivet Master
 
Keyair's Avatar

 
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,941
Images: 1
If you read the GM vaporlock PDF I posted in the sticky, it seems the reason the pump is needed is less to do with actual fuel starvation, and more to do with curing the vapor lock issue in the lines.
__________________
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #850
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
If you read the GM vaporlock PDF I posted in the sticky, it seems the reason the pump is needed is less to do with actual fuel starvation, and more to do with curing the vapor lock issue in the lines.
I agree that's what the article says but I keep thinking back to all of the posts that I've read about rigs having a hard time climbing hills due to fuel starvation and once they either installed or fixed their electric pump the problem went away.

That scenario doesn't sound like vapor lock, it sounds like fuel starvation. Which is also the reason I'm surprised Dean hasn't had any issues.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #851
Rivet Master
 
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,101
We have an add-on fuel pump from a PO that is located under the frame just after the first in-line fuel filter...the documentation that came with the unit includes a mechanic's letter that says it's not necessary, but the distance from tank to carb is a relevant issue...we replaced the fuel pump a couple of years ago...don't have the serial # handy, as the unit is in storage a mile away, but the next time I go visit her, I'll get that info...
__________________
Michael & Tracy
1989 345 Motorhome
CHARTER MEMBERS: FOUR CORNERS UNIT, AND PROUD OF IT!!!
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #852
Rivet Master
 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,735
Haven't had vapor lock nor fuel starvation issues. On last trip to Oregon and back I pulled strong on my buddy with a class C with a Ford 460...we both were towing ATV trailers (3000#+)...of course I gloated as I watched him fall back on those 8 mile long grades over the Siskiyou's!

I bought a new mechanical pump a year ago and I'm going to install it very soon. I also think I will install an electric pump as well.
__________________
http://projectupdraft.com/airstream

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #853
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Haven't had vapor lock nor fuel starvation issues. On last trip to Oregon and back I pulled strong on my buddy with a class C with a Ford 460...we both were towing ATV trailers (3000#+)...of course I gloated as I watched him fall back on those 8 mile long grades over the Siskiyou's!

I bought a new mechanical pump a year ago and I'm going to install it very soon. I also think I will install an electric pump as well.
One thing I forgot to mention is my Argosy has a switch on the dash labeled "fuel pump" which tells me it that it may or may not have been used all the time. My rig has a mid chassis fuel tank and then a home made tank in the rear with a selector valve to select between tanks. There is a switch on the dash for selecting tanks.

In all probability the fuel pump was added at a later time, possibly to facilitate pulling fuel from the rear tank.

One of these days I am going to have to sort all of that out. Right now the goal is to just get the engine back in it so I have a reason to sort all of that mess out
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #854
Rivet Master
 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler

One thing I forgot to mention is my Argosy has a switch on the dash labeled "fuel pump" which tells me it that it may or may not have been used all the time. My rig has a mid chassis fuel tank and then a home made tank in the rear with a selector valve to select between tanks. There is a switch on the dash for selecting tanks.

In all probability the fuel pump was added at a later time, possibly to facilitate pulling fuel from the rear tank.

One of these days I am going to have to sort all of that out. Right now the goal is to just get the engine back in it so I have a reason to sort all of that mess out
Yup, you will need an engine if you ever want to get her on the road!
__________________

__________________
http://projectupdraft.com/airstream

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airstream toy trailer, furnished, 2002 edition, 11" eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 01-18-2011 10:00 AM
'68 Overlander to Toy Hauler maxtime General Repair Forum 5 01-01-2011 09:32 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.