Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #673
Rivet Master
 
345bill's Avatar
 
Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH View Post
I noticed you have headers on your 454, did you install them yourself and if so, how big of an issue was it? I have a set of headers, I am considering installing.
Any input is appreciated.
Something else to watch for when installing headers on 454 is starter motor clearance on the P-30's once the header is in place.

I myself would not want to loosen up header and related system in order to r&r starter motor as many report having to do, especially if you find yourself having to change a starter away from home.

When I learn of a header set that permits starter r&r without interference I'll sure consider putting them on.
__________________

__________________
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #674
Rivet Master
 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345bill

Something else to watch for when installing headers on 454 is starter motor clearance on the P-30's once the header is in place.

I myself would not want to loosen up header and related system in order to r&r starter motor as many report having to do, especially if you find yourself having to change a starter away from home.

When I learn of a header set that permits starter r&r without interference I'll sure consider putting them on.
The Banks headers allow starter R&R...I had my starter out a couple weeks ago to clean up the wiring. Once I removed the heat shield which was no big deal, the starter came out with no problems.
__________________

__________________
http://projectupdraft.com/airstream

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #675
Rivet Master
 
345bill's Avatar
 
Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
The Banks headers allow starter R&R...I had my starter out a couple weeks ago to clean up the wiring. Once I removed the heat shield which was no big deal, the starter came out with no problems.
Thanks, I'll check out their website.

When I recently was at the Chevy dealer parts department I asked them about a gasket between stock ex manifold and the head and their reply was the 1990,454, P-30 didn't use one new from factory. I wasn't sure as mine has one on the r-side but none on the l-side. I'm guessing a PO added it on mine.

Does your Banks set up require gaskets at the head? Are yours the porcelin ones? How about coming loose?

My experiance with street race cars many years ago seems I remember constantly having to re-tighten the header to head bolts. We were teenagers when racing a lot and there's a good chance we never had the exhaust systems mounted correctly either.

Thanks Dean.
__________________
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #676
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,373
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Hi Peter,
....
Now here is my smog speech . You might think we are all crazy out here in California, my excuse is I was born in Minnesota! Ive lived in calif since 1967 and let me say, I love breathing clean air. Our air is cleaner today all due to auto emissions controls! Now here is the reason I mention all this. If your MH has smog equipment on it, leave it on. My dad lived in Oregon and he removed the air injection system, which I had to put back on at great expense to get the Motorhome smogged and registered in calif. also calif is no longer the only state requiring smog checks. Unless your MH is going to the grave with you, you might want to sell it some day and your only buyer just might be from calif. I would love to find a 31 footer some day and if it is from out of state, it must have all the smog equipment intact and running or I'll pass it up. Ther enough said .

Now get those headers on!

As for your "unsolicited lecture" on smog compliance. I believe we all are much aware of the environmental impact on our Planet and the quality of the air, without having to try to tell others what to do. I recently saw a sticker that said: "Abandoning children and wasting Gas". Sometime I wonder if people stare at my Motorhome, not because of its stunning beauty and classic looks, but because they see just a huge gas guzzling machine with 2 people inside. What a waste of resources...Having said that, I appreciate you sharing your experience and giving your advice freely. I have been restoring Motorhomes for 20 years and another 20 years of VW busses before that and always enjoy seeing someone doing things as thorough and with quality in mind as you are.
regards
__________________
1990 29' Excella Trailer
1996 Airstream B190
1997 30' Excella Trailer
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #677
Rivet Master
 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH

As for your "unsolicited lecture" on smog compliance. I believe we all are much aware of the environmental impact on our Planet and the quality of the air, without having to try to tell others what to do. I recently saw a sticker that said: "Abandoning children and wasting Gas". Sometime I wonder if people stare at my Motorhome, not because of its stunning beauty and classic looks, but because they see just a huge gas guzzling machine with 2 people inside. What a waste of resources...Having said that, I appreciate you sharing your experience and giving your advice freely. I have been restoring Motorhomes for 20 years and another 20 years of VW busses before that and always enjoy seeing someone doing things as thorough and with quality in mind as you are.
regards
Ok.
__________________
http://projectupdraft.com/airstream

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #678
Rivet Master
 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345bill

Thanks, I'll check out their website.

When I recently was at the Chevy dealer parts department I asked them about a gasket between stock ex manifold and the head and their reply was the 1990,454, P-30 didn't use one new from factory. I wasn't sure as mine has one on the r-side but none on the l-side. I'm guessing a PO added it on mine.

Does your Banks set up require gaskets at the head? Are yours the porcelin ones? How about coming loose?

My experiance with street race cars many years ago seems I remember constantly having to re-tighten the header to head bolts. We were teenagers when racing a lot and there's a good chance we never had the exhaust systems mounted correctly either.

Thanks Dean.
I'm not sure what is best with stock manifolds as far as using gaskets or not. I don't think my '82 had them either, but I think my dad had tried them on the stock manifolds to help stop exhaust leaks after the manifolds were warped. The Banks headers do not use gaskets. I don't really know, but I don't think they are porcelain coated either. My exhaust bolts are rusted up good, so no header leaks . Back in the day, my street rod was a '69 Chevelle. I sure wish I had that car today when I see what they are selling for on Mecum auto auctions. I was always tight ing the header bolts on that car. If I were adding headers to the MH today, I think I might use fasteners from a company called Stage 8. They have a bolt that uses a clip on the head so they can't back loose.
__________________
http://projectupdraft.com/airstream

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #679
Rivet Master
 
crazeevw's Avatar

 
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,687
Images: 28
My .02 concerning smog equipment. Mine has it, and I live in Florida. There are several states besides California, which have the California Air Resources Board standards, which I'm almost certain Florida participates. We don't have any smog testing stations any longer, and haven't had annual vehicle checks for at least the past 27 years I've lived here.
I'll leave all of the equipment on the engine, simply because I know that the engine is tuned to operate with the smog equipment.
After reading about Dadstoy, StSpot and Keyair's dealings with obtaining and installing missing smog equipment, I agree with Dean. Leave it on, if it's there. There may come the day that you want to sell, and not having it means dropping your asking price a couple of thousand because it is missing.
Thanks, Derek
__________________
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #680
Rivet Master
 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,735
TV antenna or not?

I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the old tv antenna on the roof or not. I've read some posts that say the old antenna pick up digital broadcasts just fine. I'm wondering if this is really the case? I'm wondering if others are keeping their old antennas or taking them off?
__________________
http://projectupdraft.com/airstream

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #681
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,373
Images: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
TV antenna or not?

I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the old tv antenna on the roof or not. I've read some posts that say the old antenna pick up digital broadcasts just fine. I'm wondering if this is really the case? I'm wondering if others are keeping their old antennas or taking them off?
On my old 79, I left the Antenna on, it was totally useless but looked so retro
Haven't even started to figure out the Antenna/Satellite system on the 345, so its there to stay for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	164854  
__________________
1990 29' Excella Trailer
1996 Airstream B190
1997 30' Excella Trailer
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #682
Rivet Master
 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH

On my old 79, I left the Antenna on, it was totally useless but looked so retro
Haven't even started to figure out the Antenna/Satellite system on the 345, so its there to stay for now.
I kind of like that retro look too, but maybe it's time for it to go. I also have a satellite dish on the rear. My dad actually used it. I double that I ever will.
__________________
http://projectupdraft.com/airstream

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #683
Rivet Master
 
Waipio Rim's Avatar
 
1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 667
I took ours off recently. It would not come all the way down after I put a Maxxair cover on the front vent, and we can pretty much get all the entertainment and news we want via our Ipad.
__________________
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #684
Rivet Master
 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim
I took ours off recently. It would not come all the way down after I put a Maxxair cover on the front vent, and we can pretty much get all the entertainment and news we want via our Ipad.
Hi Waipo Rim. What was involved in removing the antenna? Was it easy or difficult? How did you cover the hole? Any advice/pics would be great! Thanks!
__________________
http://projectupdraft.com/airstream

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #685
Rivet Master
 
Waipio Rim's Avatar
 
1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy

Hi Waipo Rim. What was involved in removing the antenna? Was it easy or difficult? How did you cover the hole? Any advice/pics would be great! Thanks!
As I recall it just involved about fifteen minutes of fumbling around up on the roof. I may have had to take a drill up there with me to expedite the process, but I was not trying to salvage anything and it came off pretty quick. I just cut the cable and left a couple of inches sticking up from the roof, and left the mounting plate that is attached to the crank on the ceiling in place. That is probably how I will leave it, not the cleanest or most complete job but I would rather not open a hole in the ceiling if I don't have to and you can't see any of the remnants from ground level outside. No photos, the 310 is parked at our daughter's in Delaware until we get back there in a few months to see if it is willing to continue its journey around the country.
__________________
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #686
Rivet Master
 
Keyair's Avatar

 
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,931
Images: 1
My original antenna is/was missing.
This is what is left on the roof... and inside, the crank handle is still there...



Whilst I am planning a centralized TV/DVD system and adding a Hard drive/Computer input as well, I decided to replace the antenna.
I saw the Winegard Sensar IV DTV/HDTV Antenna on sale last year and snapped one up for future use.

Winegard Sensar IV DTV/HDTV Antenna - Winegard RVW-395 - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World

Description..
America’s most popular RV TV antenna just got even better!
Winegard has taken the powerfully performing Sensar III antenna and integrated it with the UHF enhanced Wingman antenna for the ultimate in over-the-air TV viewing! Optimized for the new DTV spectrum, this amplified antenna receives all available VHF/UHF channels so you can enjoy watching all your favorite local programs while parked. Raise, lower and rotate the antenna with hand crank from inside your RV. It’s easy to install and lowers to only 4” inches above the roof while traveling. Includes amplified antenna and lift assembly, 12-volt white power supply with on/off switch, white interior control parts and 20’ of 75 ohm coax cable.

Only time will tell if it will be a waste of money!
__________________

__________________
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airstream toy trailer, furnished, 2002 edition, 11" eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 01-18-2011 10:00 AM
'68 Overlander to Toy Hauler maxtime General Repair Forum 5 01-01-2011 09:32 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.