Old 06-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #617
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw

Dean, at first glance, I thought the second rig (5th wheel) were full-timer friends of mine from Florida. Second look, and I thought to myself "Wait, they're in Cody, WY, not Oregon, lol. Looks like your whole trip is now on my bucket list.
Thanks, Derek
They are from Washington state

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #618
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
I'm staying the night in Mt Shasta. So beautiful. I can smell the pine trees. Mh did great over the mountains southern Oregon/northern Calif. Engine temp only varied from about 178 to 182. A recored radiator is the key to all your worries! Only issue this trip is a new problem with the starter. Sometime I turn key to start and absolutely nothing. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1330432101.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	552.1 KB
ID:	160970   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3862031980.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	730.0 KB
ID:	160971  

Name:	image-3739616788.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	568.1 KB
ID:	160972   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2418194.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	743.4 KB
ID:	160973  

Name:	image-1410395235.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	671.4 KB
ID:	160974   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1993584614.jpg
Size:	604.5 KB
ID:	160975  

Old 06-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #619
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw

Dean, at first glance, I thought the second rig (5th wheel) were full-timer friends of mine from Florida. Second look, and I thought to myself "Wait, they're in Cody, WY, not Oregon, lol. Looks like your whole trip is now on my bucket list.
Thanks, Derek
Isn't that just an awesome tow rig! I likie!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #620
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
The horse is back in the barn!

Trip Status: SUCCESSFUL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2943086911.jpg
Size:	598.9 KB
ID:	161029  

Old 06-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #621
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy
I'm staying the night in Mt Shasta. So beautiful. I can smell the pine trees. Mh did great over the mountains southern Oregon/northern Calif. Engine temp only varied from about 178 to 182. A recored radiator is the key to all your worries! Only issue this trip is a new problem with the starter. Sometime I turn key to start and absolutely nothing. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Probably a dirty commutator or a brush hanging up. That's one that will bite you at the worst possible time.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #622
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota

Probably a dirty commutator or a brush hanging up. That's one that will bite you at the worst possible time.
Or starter solenoid.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #623
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota

Or starter solenoid.
Starter is one of the last few things not yet replaced! I'm guessing time for another one! LOL

Old 06-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #624
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
The 454s are notorious for overheating the starter, and the current solution is time and cooling...not a great solution, but pretty much the only one...Banks may help, but I get conflicting stories on this...some will swear by this, others will say that mileage does not change...my jury is still out there...it's a pricey investment, and I'm not yet convinced that it's worth it...6 mpg to 7 mpg is not a strong inducement...granted, we haul more stuff than should be allowed, but the 454 is a workhorse, and properly fed, should give at least 300,000 miles...in the past, I have learned that less 'tinkering' can actually improve your motor lifetime...I know a lot of you will disagree with me, but I'm on the road a lot more than most of you, and I'm enjoying what I bought it for...figure a minimum of 2 grand a year for maintenance, the big expense of tires every 5-7 years, and piddily crap just jumping up there, and yer gonna live cheaper than in the house-without-wheels. Quality and a bit more in spending far outweighs " Oh hell, now what do I do?"...side of the road sucks, and the extra bucks don't always give you satisfaction in that situation, but if you have some kind of warranty, you should be covered...and Good Sam offers a great coverage for the "Oh hell..." situations...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #625
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2
The 454s are notorious for overheating the starter, and the current solution is time and cooling...not a great solution, but pretty much the only one...Banks may help, but I get conflicting stories on this...some will swear by this, others will say that mileage does not change...my jury is still out there...it's a pricey investment, and I'm not yet convinced that it's worth it...6 mpg to 7 mpg is not a strong inducement...granted, we haul more stuff than should be allowed, but the 454 is a workhorse, and properly fed, should give at least 300,000 miles...in the past, I have learned that less 'tinkering' can actually improve your motor lifetime...I know a lot of you will disagree with me, but I'm on the road a lot more than most of you, and I'm enjoying what I bought it for...figure a minimum of 2 grand a year for maintenance, the big expense of tires every 5-7 years, and piddily crap just jumping up there, and yer gonna live cheaper than in the house-without-wheels. Quality and a bit more in spending far outweighs " Oh hell, now what do I do?"...side of the road sucks, and the extra bucks don't always give you satisfaction in that situation, but if you have some kind of warranty, you should be covered...and Good Sam offers a great coverage for the "Oh hell..." situations...m
The starter problem that just started on the last trip happens hot or cold...sometimes at first start in the morning, so not a hot starting issue. I have the Banks system (dad put it on yrs ago to stop manifold cracking issue) and it has a heat shield for the starter and oil filter. This one has to be solved before heading to the desert for Burning Man! I always try to buy quality parts from a local parts house...no more parts from Autozone!

Old 06-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #626
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
OK, first would be battery connections, even if they look good, second would be ground connections, third would be the regulator under the doghouse(front, maybe sightly right of center), and then the alternator connections. My AS is the 3rd 454 I have owned, and I can tell you that cranking a start almost invariably takes three separate cranks...living in a cold environment sometimes requires using the glovebox hot switch to 'encourage' the beast...if it was a starter issue, I think you would have reported the 'skinning' noise associated with a bad kicker...carry a battery charger with you, use the gen to fire up AC so you can plug it in, and you can proudly limp to where you are headed...I have done this more times than I can count, but I got there, had a good time, and have replaced a lot of things I didn't previously know existed...it's all about the adventure...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #627
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIrony-2
OK, first would be battery connections, even if they look good, second would be ground connections, third would be the regulator under the doghouse(front, maybe sightly right of center), and then the alternator connections. My AS is the 3rd 454 I have owned, and I can tell you that cranking a start almost invariably takes three separate cranks...living in a cold environment sometimes requires using the glovebox hot switch to 'encourage' the beast...if it was a starter issue, I think you would have reported the 'skinning' noise associated with a bad kicker...carry a battery charger with you, use the gen to fire up AC so you can plug it in, and you can proudly limp to where you are headed...I have done this more times than I can count, but I got there, had a good time, and have replaced a lot of things I didn't previously know existed...it's all about the adventure...m
I'm thinking I have a ground issue!

Old 06-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #628
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
I learned one thing on this last trip...I have the 60 gallon gas tank and not the 40 gallon.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #629
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I'm thinking I have a ground issue!
Trick I learned years ago and its free... kinda.
If you carry a set of jump leads... and who does not in reality...

Attach Black lead to a good point on the engine and other end to a good point on the chassis. Then attach the Red lead to engine again and the other red to the earth strap on the battery tray. Route them so they are away from exhausts etc... Not too tricky if you look and plan. Leave them in place.
If you dont have another start issue, then its one of the earths... you can disconnect one or the other to isolate the problem area...
Old 06-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #630
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair

Trick I learned years ago and its free... kinda.
If you carry a set of jump leads... and who does not in reality...

Attach Black lead to a good point on the engine and other end to a good point on the chassis. Then attach the Red lead to engine again and the other red to the earth strap on the battery tray. Route them so they are away from exhausts etc... Not too tricky if you look and plan. Leave them in place.
If you dont have another start issue, then its one of the earths... you can disconnect one or the other to isolate the problem area...
Steve, I'm definitely going to give this a try. Im thinking the engine to frame ground is ok since I have removed the engine to frame ground strap and wire wheeled the connection points. I'm going to guess it may be the battery to frame cable. On the rainy travel days I was getting a 09 error code on my brake controller (no ground). The ground wire on the controller is fairly short and goes to the firewall subframe. That all looks good. So maybe the subframe to frame is not grounded well, but I'm thinking it is the original battery ground connection on the main frame at the battery box under the door/step.

Tags
1982 airstream 280, 28', motorhome